PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

View Poll Results: Is the Mogul safe to buy now?
Yes 131 70.81%
No 19 10.27%
OMFG, use the search, n00b!! 35 18.92%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2007, 11:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

Mafamaticks is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Is it safe to get a Mogul?

I've read all 200 and something posts in the 2.17 Rom post. I've been following the trials and tribulations with this phone since the beginning. I've read the posts with the custom roms. It seems everybody has different opinions on whether or not the new rom is working the way it's supposed to.

The only thing stopping me from getting a mogul is all the bugs, but I'm starting to feel like I've reached the end of the road with my 6700 and I want something new. The touch is nice but I'll feel violated with no wifi (even though I hardly use it on my 6700 as it is). But I digress.

So here's the poll. Yes, No, or "Search, n00b."
Old 12-06-2007, 08:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

LOL. Guess not
Old 12-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
There really is no such thing as a technology that doesn't have bugs, issues, poorly considered features, etc. etc. As long as there is technology, there will be those of us who are unhappy with one aspect or another and looking to "fix" it. That's why forums like this exist. That's why we discuss and analyze these things to death. If we based every buying decision on finding that product with no bugs, we'd never buy anything.

Instead, I buy products based on the ability to resolve bugs. If the design of the device is "comfortable" to me-- meaning, I can hold it in my hands and not feel like I'm going to crush it, AND I can actually stand to look at it-- then I start considering how customizable the experience is. As long as I can tinker to my heart's content and fix whatever annoyances I have, then I will be happy with the device. The Mogul has that in spades. The form-factor is great, and I can play with it all day and night (in fact, in the two months I've had mine, I've done exactly that).

That's precisely what I hate about the iPhone, for example. Apple always locks you into ONE device, ONE experience, and there's very little room to customize it. That's great for some people, but it's not for me.

My name is Aaron Hall, and I'm a Mogul User.
Think Different.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:48 AM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
No offense, but it sounds like you've read alot and therefore have all the data you need (or will get) in order to make your decision.

The Mogul with the new ROM is pretty good - my issues are mediocre BT and sporadic roaming freezes. If you don't care about BT quality, and don't roam much, then it's a great device.

My biggest concern about buying a new Mogul now would be the amount of memory. Not a huge deal today, but upcoming phones will likely have more, and I'll guess that WM 6.1 will need it. The SW bugs can be fixed perhaps, but memory can't.
Old 12-06-2007, 09:51 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: 6800 (Mogul)

scotbotmosh is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to scotbotmosh
I was upgraded from the Apache to the Mogul so I didn't have much of a choice. When I first got the Mogul I was a bit bummed because there really wasn't a kitchen, or custom ROM's out. About a week later a kitchen was released and once I was able to cook my own ROM up I was in seventh heaven. The apache was great, so no disrespect there. But the Mogul is alot better. The amount of memory alone is amazing, before when I had all the apps I wanted loaded I was out of space. With the Mogul right now I have another 100 MB to go. It's faster, more responsive, more reliable ( my 6700 sometimes the back light wouldn't come on) is the Mogul perfect?...No but like Goodthings said what technology is. I say go for it.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodThings2Life View Post
Instead, I buy products based on the ability to resolve bugs.
That's a good way to look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
No offense, but it sounds like you've read alot and therefore have all the data you need (or will get) in order to make your decision.

The Mogul with the new ROM is pretty good - my issues are mediocre BT and sporadic roaming freezes. If you don't care about BT quality, and don't roam much, then it's a great device.

My biggest concern about buying a new Mogul now would be the amount of memory. Not a huge deal today, but upcoming phones will likely have more, and I'll guess that WM 6.1 will need it. The SW bugs can be fixed perhaps, but memory can't.
That's the thing. Every time I think I've made a solid decision, I'm back on the fence again. I know I want a new device, but whatever I get I'll have to stick with so I wanna make sure I pick the right one. You're right about the memory, which is why I'm swaying towards the touch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotbotmosh View Post
I was upgraded from the Apache to the Mogul so I didn't have much of a choice. When I first got the Mogul I was a bit bummed because there really wasn't a kitchen, or custom ROM's out. About a week later a kitchen was released and once I was able to cook my own ROM up I was in seventh heaven. The apache was great, so no disrespect there. But the Mogul is alot better. The amount of memory alone is amazing, before when I had all the apps I wanted loaded I was out of space. With the Mogul right now I have another 100 MB to go. It's faster, more responsive, more reliable ( my 6700 sometimes the back light wouldn't come on) is the Mogul perfect?...No but like Goodthings said what technology is. I say go for it.
Correct on the Mogul sir. I'd just hate to get this phone and have to deal with all the bs. I tolerate a lot and I've yet to deal with a piece of technology that I couldn't deal with. I don't want the Mogul to dissapoint. I'm definitely due for an upgrade though. I've been using this phone for a while with a broken qwerty keyboard 'cause I was scared to get a Mogul.

Thanks for the input though.

Last edited by Mafamaticks; 12-06-2007 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:44 AM
Regular 'Geeker

sfaure03 is a n00b
I too have moved from 6700 to mogul. Have no intention of moving back or to another device.

I've read threads about all types of phones/devices. And there is always quirks and issues on all of them. For a phone that will let me do use what features I need and want, the keyboard, and the wifi its just fine, indeed more than fine.

With the 6700, especially early on, I had lots of issues and problems. However most of those got worked around once I adapted my use to its needs somewhat. Ended up being a very fine device for me, and the actual adaptations to my "habits" were trivial, and in some ways those adaptations ended up making more "sense" than what i was trying to do but failing.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:46 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Epic 4G

gxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargxnext is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via ICQ to gxnext Send a message via AIM to gxnext Send a message via MSN to gxnext Send a message via Yahoo to gxnext Send a message via Skype™ to gxnext
The Mogul Would Be Easyer For Noobs If It Had More Ram

The mogul needs more ram, and the touch needs (Wifi, keyboard, camera flash, and IR reader) I think the touch runs better than the mogul because of the higher ram, but as far as the moguls software I never had a problem from ver 2.09 onto 2.17 but apparently alot of people do so you'll have to "do a search noob" to find wich rom is best for you. Personally I think if you don't have it already and can't wait for something similar with more ram, then be prepared to constantly close every single running application your not using (just like you prolly already do with your 6700, I know I did) just to keep it running smooth. The mogul is a great, fun and useful phone if you use it properly..... It's not for newbies who have certain expectations, but if ur comeing from the 6700 then you will prolly be pleased with the 6800 overall.

Last edited by gxnext; 12-06-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-06-2007, 10:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gxnext View Post
The mogul needs more ram, and the touch needs (Wifi, keyboard, camera flash, and IR reader) I think the touch runs better than the mogul because of the higher ram, but as far as the moguls software I never had a problem from ver 2.09 onto 2.17 but apparently alot of people do. Personally I think if you don't have it already and can't wait for something similar with more ram, then be prepared to constantly close every single running application your not using just to keep it running smooth. The mogul is a great, fun and useful phone if you use it properly..... It's not for newbies.

That's how I've been using my 6700 which is super stable with all the apps I'll need. I don't even have to install anything else on it. As I'm weighing my options, I think I realize that I don't need wifi or the ir port (who uses that?). The camera flash is iffy cause I don't use the 6700 camera often, but I might sing a different tune with a 2 megapixel camera. I just don't know if I wanna lose the qwerty keyboard.
Old 12-06-2007, 02:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: TMO

timothydonohue is just getting started
i heart the mogul. it's a bit of time killer for me, unfortunately, lol. however, i absolutely love the way i can put whatever i want on, make it look however i want, and sometimes just try things out because someone else liked it. if i don't, i take it off.

and, there are easter eggs. i was looking through my registry last night, and noticed that somewhere along the line, some program points to a string named skank, with some numerical value. made me laugh a little.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan