PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC TyTn

Absence is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Can I configure my device to these wifi specs?

Hey everyone,

Trying to connect to the wireless connection on my campus with my mobile device. They have a .pdf with instructions on how to access the network.

First they say to switch to WPA authentication and TKIP encrypted. Configured that.
Next step is to selected PEAP - did that.
Next, deselect (uncheck) "validate server certificate." I don't see the option to do this on WM.
They say to authentication method to "Secured Password (EAP-MSCHAP v2)." Again, don't see the option to do this.
I get prompted to enter user/pass/domain, and I do, but it won't connect.

Is the problem with the settings I can't figure out how to adjust? Can they be configured using some other method than adjusting wifi settings?
Old 12-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I do believe you would do better to contact your campus IT department for support of their network. You may even be doing them a favor if you can work with them to get it working and provide them with additional documentation for the benefit of other students and staff.

At the very least, if you want assistance from anyone here, you should post a copy of the PDF, so we know what to suggest based on their requirements.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:07 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Absence is a n00b
I tried to sum up the pdf as best as I could, but here is a copy if it might help.

http://it.sju.edu/network_access/wir...SJUWIFI-XP.pdf

Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:32 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Start > Settings > Connections > Wi-Fi > Add New...

Network Name: sjuwifi
Connects To: The Internet

Next

Authentication: WPA
Encryption: TKIP

Next

PEAP
Properties
(You should see the required checkboxes there, perhaps with slightly different wording... I am unable to verify this since I don't have a wifi connection that uses PEAP.)

FINISH

Click OK to return to the Connections screen and choose Wireless LAN. Now, these settings may need some testing on your part. Sorry, I can't test this, because again, I don't have access to your network.

Click the LEAP tab at the bottom.

Click New.

sjuwifi
username
password
blank domain
EAP -- I'm assuming, because of the PEAP requirement, but you might try OPEN as well.

You may also have to adjust settings on the Enroll tab, although I doubt it.

If all else fails, definitely contact the campus IT guys.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Absence is a n00b
update

Just a quick update - went over to IT and asked about connecting to their network - the tech just looked at me and said "Uhh we don't have any guide posted on how to do that, so you're basically on your own."

If you look at the guide, they seem to use sjuwifi and sjuwireless interchangeably when in reality they are two different networks available at the same time. I checked my laptop that can connect to both networks and the settings are different than in the guide - sjuwireless is set to WEP encryption, PEAP enabled. Validate server certificate is unchecked and authentication mode is set to secure password.

Is there a way I can log the connection errors I receive on the phone? When I try to connect, it prompts me for my user/pass/domain. I enter the user/pass and leave domain blank, it will just pop up again and again until I hit cancel. I've changed all the settings I can - I just don't see an option to unselect validate server certificate or select secure password authentication.

Any further suggestions are appreciated.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan