PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Free Wifi??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=12516)

eballin 11-26-2007 07:07 PM

Free Wifi???

hey everyone.. i got a mogul because the sprint rep told me that since it has wifi i would be able to get free internet. but i got my first bill this month and they charged me for internet. is that suppose to happen??

shellguy 11-26-2007 07:20 PM

they don't charge for wifi they charge for EVDO svc.

schettj 11-26-2007 07:23 PM

This has to be a FAQ :D

Unless you DISABLE EVDO (which you can do either on the phone, or just by calling *2 and saying "I want you to disable EVDO and 1X data access on line xxx-xxx-xxxx) then sure, any and every time you do something with networking and don't happen to be associated with a wifi network, the phone will connect and use EVDO or 1X at 2 cents per KB.

I'd call *2 and tell them to disable all data access on your line. After that, if you happen to do something and the phone tries to connect, it should give you an error message instead of a billing surprise.

eballin 11-26-2007 07:23 PM

is there any way to get around that?

eballin 11-26-2007 07:25 PM

ok thanks so much! im going to give them a call

akijikan 11-26-2007 07:25 PM

EDIT: I see he answered your question before you realized it, nvm.

Vertigo 11-26-2007 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eballin (Post 129912)
hey everyone.. i got a mogul because the sprint rep told me that since it has wifi i would be able to get free internet. but i got my first bill this month and they charged me for internet. is that suppose to happen??

Also you have to understand that WIFI only works if you have an access point close. ex: wireless router. You can call and disable EDVO and connect to the internet only when you have an access point available.

eballin 11-26-2007 07:40 PM

i understand that. that is the main reason i wanted a wifi enabled phone. there is free wifi all over the city and i also have a wifi modem in my house.

Scrufdog 11-26-2007 07:50 PM

give that a try and see if it works for you, otherwise $15 a month isnt bad for unlimited data access. Once Rev A happens it will be close to slow cable or fast DSL speeds.

schettj 11-26-2007 08:25 PM

Yep, I love having both on my 6700, and I don't even get rev A... however, my daughter does not need (or perhaps more accurately I don't want her to have) internet access on her "vision" capable flip phone. A call to *2 and simple request to disable all data access on that line was all it took to avoid any accidental charges. Sprint can do it. They *should* do it by default for any line w/o a data plan. But they enjoy billing people for casual use that people might not have ever intended.

Slimy, if you ask me.