PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2007, 07:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: SPRINT

eballin is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Unhappy Free Wifi???

hey everyone.. i got a mogul because the sprint rep told me that since it has wifi i would be able to get free internet. but i got my first bill this month and they charged me for internet. is that suppose to happen??
Old 11-26-2007, 07:20 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G
Carrier: Sprint

shellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularshellguy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to shellguy Send a message via MSN to shellguy Send a message via Yahoo to shellguy
they don't charge for wifi they charge for EVDO svc.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
This has to be a FAQ

Unless you DISABLE EVDO (which you can do either on the phone, or just by calling *2 and saying "I want you to disable EVDO and 1X data access on line xxx-xxx-xxxx) then sure, any and every time you do something with networking and don't happen to be associated with a wifi network, the phone will connect and use EVDO or 1X at 2 cents per KB.

I'd call *2 and tell them to disable all data access on your line. After that, if you happen to do something and the phone tries to connect, it should give you an error message instead of a billing surprise.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:23 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

eballin is a n00b
is there any way to get around that?
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

eballin is a n00b
ok thanks so much! im going to give them a call
Old 11-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

akijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good workakijikan is keeping up the good work
EDIT: I see he answered your question before you realized it, nvm.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by eballin View Post
hey everyone.. i got a mogul because the sprint rep told me that since it has wifi i would be able to get free internet. but i got my first bill this month and they charged me for internet. is that suppose to happen??

Also you have to understand that WIFI only works if you have an access point close. ex: wireless router. You can call and disable EDVO and connect to the internet only when you have an access point available.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

eballin is a n00b
i understand that. that is the main reason i wanted a wifi enabled phone. there is free wifi all over the city and i also have a wifi modem in my house.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

Scrufdog is keeping up the good workScrufdog is keeping up the good work
give that a try and see if it works for you, otherwise $15 a month isnt bad for unlimited data access. Once Rev A happens it will be close to slow cable or fast DSL speeds.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:25 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Yep, I love having both on my 6700, and I don't even get rev A... however, my daughter does not need (or perhaps more accurately I don't want her to have) internet access on her "vision" capable flip phone. A call to *2 and simple request to disable all data access on that line was all it took to avoid any accidental charges. Sprint can do it. They *should* do it by default for any line w/o a data plan. But they enjoy billing people for casual use that people might not have ever intended.

Slimy, if you ask me.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan