PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2007, 11:23 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

okashira is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Poor Bluetooth Quality (headset)

This is my first phone with bluetooth and first time using a bluetooth headset.

Using a Sprint Mogul with newest ROM and Radio, using a new plantronics voyager 520 headset, bought for its reputed audio quality.

The sound quality I've been experiencing with the headset & the mogal is poor. It sounds like a downsampled version of the audio you would hear directly from the phone. The phone sounds fine, almost exactly like my old audiovox 8910 (although the microphone is not as good) The audio also varies in volume, somtimes fading in and out, although not commonly.

I don't get complaints about the quality on their end (i.e. the mic of the headset)

The range is also VERY poor. I can't even place the phone in my right pocket (with the headset on my right ear) without getting static and fading.

in summary:

-poor bluetooth audio quality (sounds downsampled)
-fading in and out sometimes
-very poor range, static unless phone is within 3 feet, static even if phone is in pocket

One of the major reasons I got a new phone was for bluetooth support, I am within 30 days of my recent sprint contract, will be returning it if i cannot find a solution.

Is this a 'feature' of this phone, or true for all bluetooth devices? I will be trying this headset with another phone first chance I get.
Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
Old 12-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: XV6800
Carrier: Verizon

Shadowman is a n00b
I have used the HS700 Motorola BT headset for a couple years on three different phones including the XV6800 and I have no issues with it at all.

I know the noise that you speak of as I have experienced it with others too

It is a great phone; you simply need an alternate headset

Shadowman
Old 12-15-2007, 08:56 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G and Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

xdalaw is becoming a great contributor
I use the Plantronics 510 on my Mogul. (Still using last stock ROM and radio.)
It's been pretty solid for me, and I can say it's much more clear than on my 700Wx.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:24 AM
A Geek For Eons
Pocket PC: Photon, Xoom
Carrier: Sprint/US, Airtel/India, Telus/Canada

willysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on repwillysp is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by okashira View Post
.....Is this a 'feature' of this phone, or true for all bluetooth devices? I will be trying this headset with another phone first chance I get.
Is anyone else experiencing these issues?
Almost certainly it's the phone, not the headset. If you look at this and other forums, BT quality has been a clear shortcoming of the Mogul since day 1. Although better in the 4th ROM (2.17), it's still not fixed. This is a very common and widely-reported problem with the Mogul.

I have a nXZen 6000 (BT 2.0, DSP, noise cancelling) headset that works extremely well with my Touch and Razr2, but is very mediocre with my Mogul. Choppy, compressed, artificial sounding.

If you want good BT quality, you'll need to get a different phone.

Last edited by willysp; 12-15-2007 at 11:34 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 11:39 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

markgamber is just getting started
I have to second the above. My Motorola headset crackles, pops and drops out quite a bit with the Mogul but it worked great with every other bluetooth phone I've ever owned so it's not the headset. Return the phone and get something else now. Once you're out of the 30 days, Sprint will do absolutely nothing. I ate the $600 and bought a replacement last night. When it arrives, I plan on jamming a knife through the Mogul and mailing it to Sprint executive services with a note attached that reads "You".

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan