PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6600

Polarbear is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Activesync SLOW on WM5 (WM6?)

A few months ago, I tried upgrading my Verizon XV6600 to a Palm Treo 700wx running WM5, and to a Sprint Mogul running WM6.

In both cases, Activesync runs like a DOG.

I have 2600 contacts and 5100 calendar items, plus notes, etc., and I am running Outlook XP/2002 on Windows XP. I am running the latest version of Activesync on Windows XP.

To sync all of these items to a hard-reset XV6600 takes approximately 6 MINUTES.

Doing the same thing to either of the above new phones running WM5 or WM6 takes about 10 HOURS.

Can anybody tell me why this is happening, and more important, if there is any fix for this?

Thanks!
Old 11-11-2007, 07:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: sprint

gobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regulargobmonster is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
My solution:

Dont use active sync, use this PIMBACKUP, its a pretty nice program, read up below

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299705

*ps, just copy the notes from one directory to the other, but as far as contacts and messages, this program is genius
Old 11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
morsus mihi
Pocket PC: iPhone 4
Carrier: AT&T

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Wait... go back and read that post.
2,600 contacts! 5,100 calendar items!

Wow. Yeah, that's going to be dog slow with the new, improved activesync you have to use for WM5/6

That's got to be close to a 20MB pim.vol file.

I honestly have no idea how to speed that up.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Polarbear is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobmonster View Post
My solution:

Dont use active sync, use this PIMBACKUP, its a pretty nice program, read up below

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=299705

*ps, just copy the notes from one directory to the other, but as far as contacts and messages, this program is genius
Thanks, gobmonster.

I have looked at several pages regarding PIMBACKUP (including your link), and I cannot tell - can this be used for daily sync between Outlook on the PC and Outlook mobile? I update contacts and appointments in both places, depending on where I am.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:27 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Polarbear is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by schettj View Post
Wait... go back and read that post.
2,600 contacts! 5,100 calendar items!

Wow. Yeah, that's going to be dog slow with the new, improved activesync you have to use for WM5/6

That's got to be close to a 20MB pim.vol file.

I honestly have no idea how to speed that up.
Thank you as well, schettj.

Why is the "new and improved" activesync so freaking slow? I can almost handwrite the data faster than it transfers from PC to phone.

My XV6600 is on its last legs (impatiently waiting on XV6800), and has hard-reset itself several times in the last few months. However, to reload all that data on WM2003 takes only about 6 minutes (which seems quite reasonable to me).
Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: tp
Carrier: Sprint

airibis is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to airibis
i'm still jaw drop to the number of contacts O.O

^^;; now my once large contact list feels relatively minuscule... heh..

You must make great business trades, or just great conversations.... O.O
Old 11-12-2007, 02:43 AM
morsus mihi

schettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIPschettj is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
WM5/6 == completely new "database in files" system - simpler for some things, a lot slower for others... and kinda breaks down when the database gets large. Yours is large.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Polarbear is a n00b
Thank you. That helps... I think.
Old 11-12-2007, 03:29 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

Polarbear is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by airibis View Post
i'm still jaw drop to the number of contacts O.O

^^;; now my once large contact list feels relatively minuscule... heh..

You must make great business trades, or just great conversations.... O.O
Wow... another case where size matters!

I have always placed a high premium on relationships, and one day a dozen years ago, Outlook appeared to help me keep track of them. And then came PDAs and Activesync. Then came the Pocket PC phones and Nirvana. Then came WM5 and shock.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:25 AM
morsus mihi

When the sync finally finishes, can you use a file explorer like total commander (or even view "my mobile device" via activesync in the details view) and let me know how big the \pim.vol file is? And how much free internal storage you have?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan