PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   New ROM - Sprint 2.16 - Touch (Vogue) Bluetooth hybrid (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11474)

dishe 11-11-2007 10:38 AM

smaller pagepool = BAD!

Oh, by the way, for all who are interested-
LOWER PAGEPOOL VALUE CREATES A NOTICEABLY SLOWER DEVICE.

Some ROM builders here have even tried to UP the pagepool to create a snappier ROM. Having a couple of extra MB's free on reset isn't going to save you a great deal (you'll still need to make sure everything you don't need is closed), but it will slow down the OS.

Not worth it in my opinion. There are plenty of us who would have explained this to jtrag had he chosen to work with the group in the thread mentioned above instead of taking his own crack at it.

jtrag 11-11-2007 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishe (Post 119273)
Oh, by the way, for all who are interested-
LOWER PAGEPOOL VALUE CREATES A NOTICEABLY SLOWER DEVICE.

Some ROM builders here have even tried to UP the pagepool to create a snappier ROM. Having a couple of extra MB's free on reset isn't going to save you a great deal (you'll still need to make sure everything you don't need is closed), but it will slow down the OS.

Not worth it in my opinion. There are plenty of us who would have explained this to jtrag had he chosen to work with the group in the thread mentioned above instead of taking his own crack at it.

First off, I have been working with sfaure, dogguy, etc... in the chat room. This isn't just taking my own crack at it. With this ROM, I've done something different than the others in an attempt to see if it would still have the same issues. Unfortunately it does, and it also seems to cause some other issues. We would not have known this unless I put the ROM out there for others to test and give some feedback on it. Plus, where have you been in chat? If you were in chat with us enough, you would have known that we were all trying many different things to figure this out. dogguy sfaure, and I were all discussing this last night before I released this ROM and so far, nobody had tried the exact combination that I had used to build this ROM. I released this for others to test and give us some feedback. How does that not help the overall development?

Also, I don't need anyone to explain to me how pagepool works. Changing the pagepool from the default 6MB to 4MB does not make much of a performance difference at all. It really just frees up some RAM without impacting performance. The only time you're really going to see any noticable increase in performance is by setting the pagepool to 12MB or higher. But then you're losing a lot of free RAM for your programs. I've researched pagepool for some time now and I've seen stats comparing all of the different pagepool values. Everything got the same performace score until they got up to 20MB pagepool and then the performance jumped up by a couple of points. Going from 6MB to 4MB does NOT cause the performance of your device to be any noticable amount slower and it DOES free up a few MB of memory for programs to run.

Anyway, I've taken the ROM off of the FTP until we get some of these issues worked out. Thanks to everyone who tested the ROM and left feedback. It will be useful for us while we try to figure out what is causing the BT issues on the 6800.

dishe 11-11-2007 12:37 PM

my apologies, I was out for one day because of work deadlines and apparently missed a lot of developments. The others mentioned nothing of this to me.

As far as pagepool... I'm wondering what you're basing this info off of. Are there published test results that I could see?
Because this has been discussed many times, and the general conclusion (as well as my own observation) is that is DOES make a difference, even from 4 to 6 to 8 MB. This is the first time I've seen anyone disagree.

Personally, when I turned it down to 4, my experience was that some windows / programs took longer to draw and populate. I had a mortscript that would wait a certain amount of time for the phone settings window to appear than hit a button- that mortscript failed consistantly after I set the pagepool down because the window hadn't appeared in the proper amount of time yet.

sfaure03 11-11-2007 01:04 PM

we really should take it easy on one another.. ............

scuzzell 11-11-2007 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtrag (Post 118901)
I have also added a few things for bluetooth functionality such as:

* Bluetooth Printer Profiles - Allows you to print using bluetooth enabled printers.
* BT FTP - Allows you to transfer many types of files via bluetooth.
* BT QuickLink from the Vogue - Today plugin that alerts you to bluetooth enabled devices and allows you to connect to them.
* Cambridge Bluetooth Add-on - Give you various different bluetooth profiles.
If you check in your bluetooth settings menu, and your programs menu, you will see the extra things mentioned above.

Could you possibly provide cabs for this added functionality so we can use them on other roms.

~Scuzzell

Polen 11-11-2007 06:11 PM

I'm not sure if the Mogul can be fixed with the current software/drivers available. When I talked to an HTC tech, he said that the phone was flawed and the 2.16 rom made it worse. He also went on to say that their engineers are working hard to fix the problems and they are having to do a total re-write of the software.

It could be that this phone's limits are pushed so far to the edge that any change in one area has negitive effects in others.

-Polen

dmackdaddy 11-11-2007 06:13 PM

Sounds like its time to start the Unified Titan-Flow Project!

neilson 11-11-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polen (Post 119506)
I'm not sure if the Mogul can be fixed with the current software/drivers available. When I talked to an HTC tech, he said that the phone was flawed and the 2.16 rom made it worse. He also went on to say that their engineers are working hard to fix the problems and they are having to do a total re-write of the software.

It could be that this phone's limits are pushed so far to the edge that any change in one area has negitive effects in others.

-Polen

If it were up to me, I as Sprint would collaborate with HTC(in addition to Bell, Telus, Qwest, Alltel, and soon Verizon since they'll all be offering the same phone too and I would imagine have varying degrees of problems with their P4000/Titan/XV6800s just like we have with our Moguls.

Have a very liberal buyback program for the Sprint Moguls if the firmware updates so far have been that detrimental to the phone's underlying drivers and software/OS and have something more then the Touch available for us to get in its place. I'm talking about about a CDMA-ized version of the Tilt that's not truly a CDMA clone. Do it in true HTC fashion where what we get will be a half-generation ahead of the Tilt but also DON'T do like HTC/carriers of CDMA where we get the phone by the time the true successor to the Tilt is out on GSM carriers.

My opinion.