PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2007, 01:04 PM
DaGreatOne
Pocket PC: HTC EVO (white)!
Carrier: Sprint

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
Custom ROM Developers- just my 2cents

Hi All:

I hope I dont offend anyone with this post. I have ben reading alot of the post on this about Custom ROMS. I have never used one, so I cant tell who has the best one. I can tell you that you guys all have a vast knowledge of what your doing and your making our devices so much better than they can be. I've also seen alot of people complaining about others asking for donations for there custom ROMS. The question is can these ROMS be considered Custom, if you are basing it off of ROM from Alltel, Sprint or whoever? There are just so many custom roms floating around, its hard to choose from. Dont get me wrong. I'm not knocking you in anyway for all your time and effort.

What I would like to know is how come you all dont work together to bring us an Ultimate ROM fix? Complete with all the programs we all use and love. Custel, DCD, ImCokeMan, jakedillard, DogGuy, etc... The list goes on. You gusy are all great and I think if you worked together, you could fix the problems with the Mogul before Sprint and HTC do. Hell, then you can seel you ideas to them. =D>

I would liek to see all of you guys do this. I have tons of programs and games I would like to contribute to this "Ultimate ROM" . I wont list them here for other reasons, but I'm sure alot of you have these programs too.

Like I said, I hope I dont offend anyone. But all the hard work you guys have done is the tip of the iceberg and together you could do so much more.

Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G

superevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regularsuperevilllama is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
I agree that there should be a centralized effort, and to some extent there is. Also, rather than packing a rom with everything under the sun, that few want and everyone would be stuck with, make a base! Don't put anything additional in it. Using Dogguy's kitchen maker, or others.. if you are resourceful... any rom can have things added to it. There are already several OEM's that work great with the 6800.

I know that a few are working together to work out bugs, and to them I am very greatful. That is what makes this site great.. people working together to help everyone else.

Last edited by superevilllama; 11-13-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sfaure03 is a n00b
The problems with this is that one persons idea of the "ultimate" solution is very different from another persons. That is the "theory" behind a kitchen, where the "ultimate" rom solution is the person who made it themselves, not somebody elses idea.

This particular phone has FUNDAMENTAL flaws in it, and there are a LOT of people trying to find solutions to those flaws that work. There are a lot of people working together and independently to help, but I for one can assure you that a great deal of effort is being put out to SHARE information and learning between the people doing this.

At the same time, we are also driving hard to making a kitchen that works. There is a "problem" with making a "kitchen" for a device and system that has such basic flaws that everyone agrees do not yet have answers to, and that is because the kitchen itself makes it possible for a huge variety of variations. Right now the efforts are in trying to make sure that we have a "CORE" that works well and reliably. Once we have that, there is/are/will be released kitchens where you're idea of the perfect rom can be you're own creation.

The problem is that making a "base" right now is really questionable. The kinds of things we are having to play with require significant "overhaul" of the "base", and means that the "base" is very much a moving target. Rest assured, though, that we do have and are using tools and communications to help.

Indeed this site is exactly that. A place to share the information/knowledge and experiences. We appreciate everyones effort, but its asking a bit much of us, who give our time and efforts for FREE in most cases, to give you a "perfect rom" when the vendors you PAID to do that for you, have failed miserably and told you "wait until January".

As for the donations. We put a lot of time into this, and mostly its because of two reasons. either #1, we want a phone that works for us and this is the closest match except it just needs x,y,z, or #2 we're so geeky we actually find the whole deal entertaining. I'm a mix between the two for the record. However when the community asks and pushes to "make this or that work" it sometimes requires us to pay for some software, buy a bt headset, give another developer a donations and other things. I see no issue where the "donations" from people who find this work advantagous are accepted. I personally am not of the opinion that donations should be "sought out", but its kind of a fine line. Am i seeking a donation by giving a link in my signature line where somebody can "choose" to make a donation can? Or am I just allowing them to do so with out a lot of hub-a-bub.. .... I for one have spent my own money on a lot of things, and have never sought, nor do i think i would accept, a donation. But let others who do the work and/or those who want to contribute decide for themseleves. I do believe that either way, it should NOT be a BIG DEAL...

My 2 cents added.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:33 PM
The Trend Setter
Pocket PC: Touch Pro ....
Carrier: Me

jakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation leveljakdillard can't get a higher reputation level
Well I would love to be able to help build the ultimate rom, the only problem is that and I can only speak for me I don't think that with whatever efforts I put into a rom I still would not be able to please everybody . To be truthful just last week I started making roms, I was not trying to fix anything I was just wanting to make a custom for me, that I would share if others want to use it . My roms are right now are based off of DCD's and Nue2Chem's work because they have figured out many different fixes for the Mogul, I myself just now getting in the game of cooking roms I am with you guys though I would love to see this thing get fixed
Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 PM
DaGreatOne
Threadstarter

shaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuffshaun0207 knows their stuff
Send a message via MSN to shaun0207 Send a message via Yahoo to shaun0207 Send a message via Skype™ to shaun0207
I thank you guys for understanding my post. I just see alot of end fighting so to speak going on for no reason. If you want donations? That's up to and nobody should slam someone for it. I do understand that some peopsl think that donatiing is not the way to go and I undertand that as well. I just hate seeing people being blsted for the way they feel about about donating or not donating.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:48 PM
Regular 'Geeker

sfaure03 is a n00b
the thread and distaste for the donations on the other rom was, i believe, linked to the apparent size of the guys request, and that this was effectively his first time here.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:50 PM
DaGreatOne
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfaure03 View Post
the thread and distaste for the donations on the other rom was, i believe, linked to the apparent size of the guys request, and that this was effectively his first time here.
Now I'm following you. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:40 PM
dcd
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

dcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIPdcd is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post
others asking for donations for there custom ROMS.
my take on this has always been f'it, nobodys forcing anybody to donate anything, i dont ask for donations, and i donate when/where i see fit and dont when i dont see fit.

Quote:
can these ROMS be considered Custom, if you are basing it off of ROM from Alltel, Sprint or whoever?
at this point, my rom is comprised of these elements:
SYS ported from another device, widely used by rom developers all over the place, modified to my liking.
OEMApps from alltel modified to my liking. If you compare alltels OEMApps, sprints, mine, telus, etc etc, you will see the key parts that came from htc with some things the carrier chose to include on top of that. mine is pretty bare, with mms still there, and most of htc's stuff.
OEMDrivers mostly from 2.14, SD driver from 2.16, differnt battery driver, etc etc. Peiced together by me out of a collection of all known titan dumps. Not hard to do, but the work that went into this section was done by HTC, then picked thru by me. I doubt the carrier had anything to do with it.
then my OEMs, many of which are borrowed, derived, modified, etc from what was already out there.
I think most of the 'custom roms' available are built in the same fashion.

Quote:
What I would like to know is how come you all dont work together to bring us an Ultimate ROM fix?
above what everyone else said about no one perfect rom for everyones needs...
most of us do communicate and share information and solve problems together. ive pretty much provided any peice of my work thats been asked for under the right conditions. i've also used alot of other peoples work, and learned everything from other peoples work.

i only perused the custel thread and whatever, it doesnt bother me. i primarily do this stuff for my own amusement and phone usability. obviously theres a community thats helpful and nice to give back to. i dont take any offense to your post at all i just dont see (with few exceptions) where anybodys not being cooperative and making progress together on cool stuff for our devices.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:01 PM
TC1
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Titan

TC1 is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaun0207 View Post

What I would like to know is how come you all dont work together to bring us an Ultimate ROM fix?
No disrespect to any one here, but it's not likely to happen. Mixing and matching pieces of a ROM are one thing, but there are inherent flaws in HTC's implementation of WM6 on the hardware design. So unless someone here is knowledgeable in writing and debugging hardware drivers on the WM6 platform and the Titan's Qualcomm chipset, my feeling is that you won't see a true fix until the next ROM release from HTC/Sprint.

But I would love to be proven wrong
Old 11-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Lurker

vkewalra is a n00b
I couldn't call anything ultimate really, everbody has its' own opinion. A lot of people love colonel's ROMs, but I found the last one I tried entirely too bulky, with a lot of things I won't use or need.

What would be ideal (and maybe it's what people call a kitchen, this is my first WM phone) is a program for your pc that would allow you to put together a ROM that gives you the choice of OS (because some people, like me, prefer WM5), a choice of CABs, registry edits, etc.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan