PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   OPINION: Mogul was designed for WM5! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11369)

leetsauce 11-09-2007 03:53 AM

OPINION: Mogul was designed for WM5!

I've jumped back and forth between custom WM6 and WM5 roms, and after a few days of using WM5 (sampson's clean, rev 00 [because rev 01 kept hard resetting at random]), I am convinced! I used to live with WM6 and its lag, believing that was just how it is, but WM5 really opened my eyes. It is at least twice as fast. Sliding used to take like 3 seconds with WM6, but with WM5 it takes less than a second. Scrolling pages on IE used to be terrible on WM6, so choppy that text becomes unreadable even when scrolling at a slow rate. Not so with WM5: pages scroll smooth and quick, and more importantly, you can actually read while you scroll. Of course, these are minor details (major selling points for me), but overall, it feels much snappier and more responsive. There seems to be a very tiny memory leak, but nowhere as bad as it was with WM6. Example: I started at about 28MB in the morning, was about 23MB last time I checked. But even with multiple apps running, there doesn't seem to be any noticable lag (compared to WM6, which would literally freeze when you run more than three apps).

There are a few setbacks, such as the last-gen graphics and an older version of IE, but these are subtle differences, and WM5 operates pretty much just like WM6. However, I am still in search of a working smart dialer to go along with the Touch dialer I installed.

If you haven't tried WM5, and are willing to experiment, I strongly encourage you to give it a shot.

papped 11-09-2007 04:12 AM

It is definitely insanely faster.

I had a bit of instability after installing a lot of apps though, and the Office Mobile cab/New Document thing is a little annoying.

EtherealRemnant 11-09-2007 04:23 AM

The Mogul was definitely designed for WM5.

In my opinion, ALL current PPCs were. There just isn't enough juice to feed the WM6 hog yet... kinda like Vista. Vista can never get enough juice... lol.

schettj 11-09-2007 10:37 AM

Uh... well I dunno. I am running wm6 on the 6700, and it's working fine - its performing as well or better then it did with the last wm5 (AKU3.5) custom rom.

I think its safe to say that the hardware is not designed for any particular WM release, but that the quality of the rom image (and drivers) is pretty important to the performance of any device. Sure, you can hide a bad OS/driver build with lots of ram and CPU, but that's cheating...

sfaure03 11-09-2007 10:47 AM

Here Here schettj. Well put.

If this board shows anything the commercial releases are somewhat lacking, and these devices can be improved a LOT by effort and time.

These devices are NEW. The drivers are still young. Let them grow and breethe. It will get much better. WM5 also has a longer history and more registry hacks are by default known to be applied.

I indeed think my wm6 rom runs better with a number of the old wm5 hacks applied. However i'm quite sure that some of the hacks i'm doing arent needed anymore or should be refined other ways. That is the lifecycle i belive of WM releases and new devices.

TC1 11-09-2007 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schettj (Post 117755)
Uh... well I dunno. I am running wm6 on the 6700, and it's working fine - its performing as well or better then it did with the last wm5 (AKU3.5) custom rom.

I think its safe to say that the hardware is not designed for any particular WM release, but that the quality of the rom image (and drivers) is pretty important to the performance of any device. Sure, you can hide a bad OS/driver build with lots of ram and CPU, but that's cheating...

Nice. Finally a voice of reason.

willysp 11-09-2007 10:54 AM

I doubt that the Titan was specifically designed for WM5, but I do think it's pretty clear by now that WM6 should have more RAM that the Titan has.

As to performance, the last (and fatally flawed) Titan ROM had a newer build of WM6 that is clearly faster and more responsive. In fact, the latest Titan ROM is a bit faster than the initial Touch ROM.

Like other MS OS's (Vista a great point), new releases of Windows Mobile have feature bloat with little attention given to performance. It takes a service pack (Vista) or MR's (Sprint) before you see performance improvement.

Jay6700 11-09-2007 11:05 AM

I have WM6 running on my 6700, and it runs great. I have lots of apps installed, i have zero stability issues. When i ran WM5, i had nothing but problems, battery life, stability after about 6 hours of use, and it crashed constantly. I have been waiting for the 6800, but i think i'll stick with my 6700 and wm6 for a while.

Alpine- 11-09-2007 11:24 AM

I must admit, I am getting very curious about trying WM5 out. What are the basic core functions/features we would lose by reverting back to WM5?

I think that is the real question.

That said, I think its unfair to judge WM6 against WM5 in its current form. The OS itself needs an update and so does the ROM we are comparing. I expect a major update after the first of the year (sometime) that improves memory usage (leak fix) and overall speed. If the picture is still the same after WM6's major update then there might be something more to reverting back to Wm5.

gobmonster 11-09-2007 11:35 AM

i feel like the titan had intended purposes of using wm5, infact, looking at the sprint box, it shows a mogul running wm5 and not wm6

i guess i can get with the arguement that so far, sprint/htc are giving us unperfected roms, but even then, telus went out and gave there customers a wrking option from the get go

the only thing i miss from wm6 is smart dialing and internet sharing (i havent figured out how for sampsons rom yet), other wise, wm5 is a large improvement over the stock roms being released

i'll prolly switch back to wm6 when rev a comes out, but thatll be in 2008 by the look of things, and hopefully there will either be a stable rom to acompany it or a wm5 release hacked to run it