PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Rom developers... the BT stack on the Touch works- (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=11258)

dishe 11-07-2007 04:41 PM

Rom developers... the BT stack on the Touch works-

UPDATE: I THINK WE DID IT!!!
Ok folks, we've had a great group of guys working on this almost non-stop for the last few days/weeks, testing theories, hacked drivers, and infinite possibilities of ROM blends... and I'm very happy to announce that we have what appears to be a SOLID, STABLE RELEASE!

It turns out that the Touch BT drivers weren't the secret after all... they only worked when dropped into the 2.16 rom, which still had the same problems (d-pad lockups, bt shuts off, device freezes, etc).

However, combining 2.09 with a newer AKU virtually eliminates the Bluetooth quality issues that everyone complained about, and 2.09 never had the issues that the later roms introduced.

The result seems to be the best combination possible:
-BT seems stable, stays on
-BT does not freeze device when in standby even when headset disconnects
-D-pad does not get locked up
-Devices wakes up on BT command
-Voice Quality problem appears to be gone

Known issues:
-Alarm problem is still there since that existed in 2.09.

However, some of the team think that its possible to package that up and extract the fix from the later builds. So, stay tuned for a new release soon.

In the mean time, please test the current release here:
ftp://ppcgeeks:ezupload@up.ppcgeeks....nkwegotsit.rar
Please post any problems here, with as much detail as possible!

Thanks to everyone who made this possible with your insight and tireless trial-and-error patience:
DogGuy, Jtrag, and sfaure03, for being the original determined members of our group. I simply couldn't keep up with all the work these and the rest of the team put into researching the problem. These guys are driven.
no2chem for the XIP and contributions to testing and theories.
Sonny, bepe, tadzio, DCD, IMCokeMan, for the sage advice and helpful suggestions.
double0four for the "universal" rom used to port to our device, and
The PPCGeeksDevelTeam, and the members/users of this forum.

For more info, see discussion in this thread.

UPDATE 11/21:
This rom seems to fix BT quality and stability for the most part, however after spending a few days with it, I feel that it is not yet perfect.
It has many of the setbacks that the original 2.09 rom that it is based on had, more specifically the device turns on by itself randomly (something that happened when roaming on the other roms as well, however not quite as often), and in some bizzare situations, the screen hue will change slightly when the display is tapped or the scroll wheel is used. It also seems to be a little bit less snappy than roms based on the later builds.

Still, if BT is important to you, this is really the best option at the moment!
There are more options being looked into...

Original post follows (for continuity):
Quote:

I know there's been some discussion about this on the chat, but I figured there should be a post in case anyone with the skills or know-how could see it and help.

Basically, no ROM fixes BT completely- they all get close, but one seems to freeze when BT disconnects (alltel), some randomly shut off BT (Sprint 2.16), others work but had awful quality to the point that its useless (stock 2.08 and 2.09 Sprint).

Word on the street is that the Touch has NO problems with its bluetooth operation, and it is very similar to the Mogul under the hood.

So, my plea is to help figure out how we can implement whatever works on the Touch to the Mogul. Clearly Sprint and HTC are capable of getting things right sometimes, since it works on their newest device. Lets work together and get this fixed...

For more info on the current state of what we've found, please pm some of us who are working together, for example sfaure03, DogGuy, or myself... or find any of us in the chatroom.

dcd 11-07-2007 05:53 PM

does the touch use MSM7500 chipset?
i am pretty sure, it is not hard at all to grab those drivers, assuming they are for the exact same hardware.

diomark 11-07-2007 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dishe (Post 116194)
I know there's been some discussion about this on the chat, but I figured there should be a post in case anyone with the skills or know-how could see it and help.

Basically, no ROM fixes BT completely- they all get close, but one seems to freeze when BT disconnects (alltel), some randomly shut off BT (Sprint 2.16), others work but had awful quality to the point that its useless (stock 2.08 and 2.09 Sprint).

Word on the street is that the Touch has NO problems with its bluetooth operation, and it is very similar to the Mogul under the hood.

So, my plea is to help figure out how we can implement whatever works on the Touch to the Mogul. Clearly Sprint and HTC are capable of getting things right sometimes, since it works on their newest device. Lets work together and get this fixed...

I can confirm that the touch's bluetooth is awesome!
-mark

mezozoy 11-07-2007 06:18 PM

CPU is the same.

Both are using the same Qualcomm MSM7500 CPU/Chipset and BT chip is TI BRF6300 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7991). Also there are references to BRF6300 in TIInit_4_2_38.bts - file in Titan 2.16 and Touch/Vogue firmware. BTW TIInit_4_2_38.bts is not present in Altell or old 2.09 Titan ROMs- just in Touch and new Titan.

There are few other files like BT_FIR_Param.txt, BT_Init_Script_TI_*.txt, BT_Name_INFO.txt etc. that looks very interesting.

I was able to port all of SYS and most of OEM from Touch to Titan successfully (some of OEMDrivers are not compatible), but not BTHCI.dll... Still have hope :-)

drunken_monky 11-07-2007 06:29 PM

I really hope that something can be done. i mean havent gone back to 2.09 since bt is choppy (I just deal with it).

please ppc gods give us a miracle, since HTC nor sprint want to

no2chem 11-07-2007 06:45 PM

I tried this - It worked, and then messed up the dpad so it didn't work anymore - unfortunately I don't seem to have time for anything lately so I didn't look into it more.

dishe 11-07-2007 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mezozoy (Post 116306)
Both are using the same Qualcomm MSM7500 CPU/Chipset and BT chip is TI BRF6300 (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=7991). Also there are references to BRF6300 in TIInit_4_2_38.bts - file in Titan 2.16 and Touch/Vogue firmware. BTW TIInit_4_2_38.bts is not present in Altell or old 2.09 Titan ROMs- just in Touch and new Titan.

There are few other files like BT_FIR_Param.txt, BT_Init_Script_TI_*.txt, BT_Name_INFO.txt etc. that looks very interesting.

I was able to port all of SYS and most of OEM from Touch to Titan successfully (some of OEMDrivers are not compatible), but not BTHCI.dll... Still have hope :-)

Nice find! Progress...

dcd 11-07-2007 07:06 PM

i am also thinking this is good news for bt users in general. if the touch has a working bt solution with identical hardware, the manufacturer will deploy the same thing for titan. if not, id be really confused as to why.

now, do we have a dump of the retail touch? i have a prerelease dump but id rather start with current.

sprintdude07 11-07-2007 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcd (Post 116344)
i am also thinking this is good news for bt users in general. if the touch has a working bt solution with identical hardware, the manufacturer will deploy the same thing for titan. if not, id be really confused as to why.

now, do we have a dump of the retail touch? i have a prerelease dump but id rather start with current.

maybe on htc's site?

sprintdude07 11-07-2007 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dcd (Post 116344)

what about the mms? what software is the touch using for mms?