PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Touch
Carrier: Sprint

boe is keeping up the good workboe is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exchanged my Mogul for a Touch

I got retentions to trade my problematic mogul for the touch. This is my initial impressions – I come across them – not in any particular order as I just got the unit this afternoon.

Nice box the unit came in

Unit seems so much smaller than the Mogul – I love the size of the touch! Fantastic fit for my hands and I have very big hands! Even though the mogul was smaller than the 6700 it still seemed a little awkward but I’m sure some will prefer something different.

The black case on the phone itself makes it look more polished than the mogul. It has a rubbery feeling which is good for a grip.

Back case a little hard to get off but that hopefully means it will stay on tight for a full year – I had concerns about the mogul falling off.

Micro SD – a tad difficult to get to you have to remove the back cover and then pry off the side cover – the word PRY should never be necessary in any manual to discuss access to a component.

Screen seems nice and clean and bright.

Love the slider switch for volume control! All phones should have one in my opinion

Unfortunately it ran a Sprint customization – not sure what badness it installed yet – I haven’t read up on this unit much.

More Program memory - excellent

I’m not sure why but I seem to like the dtouch better – can’t explain it – just a personal thing – nothing wrong with the mogul one (unless you used sprint’s firmware which can lock the mogul’s up)

Some may like the new keyboard but I prefer a full qwerty keyboard so I switched it back to the old one although I might try another one as there are many you can download. One issue – it seems to revert back to the touch keyboard – I guess it doesn’t think I’m giving it enough of a chance Keyboard also sometimes is already open in certain apps – probably a firmware update required :P

Comes with the current version of Office Mobile 6.1

Speed seems pretty much on par with the mogul

Some people with be thrilled with the HTC touch flo as it is very cool but I really like having everything at my disposal that I use often from the main screen so I use SPB pocket plus – just a matter of preference I’m sure plenty of people will like the touch flo option just as much. Again I praise HTC for including something that will be used by so many people!

It is a tad short on hardware buttons – not the end of the world but two more customizable side buttons would have been appreciated.

No flash for the camera – I’d much rather trade the camera for the flash as I used my mogul as a flashlight at least once a week but I’m sure just as many if not more would rather trade the camera for the flash so I understand I’m in the minority. I knew it didn’t have a flash but I’ll miss it a lot.

If I were to care about the camera, I think they should have a little slider in front of the protective lens – one scratch and you’ll have lines on all your pictures.

On screen dial pad is the one I added to my mogul – nice big keys – wish there was a way to keep it always on when you are in phone mode so that you can easily press numbers for IVR routing systems – I know I can press keypad to bring it up once a call is started but an option to keep it always up would be nice.

To activate your new phone if you are switching from the Mogul -
##Removed by Moderator#
Edit
Put in phone number for MDN and msid – update OK
Turn off your old phone for at least 24 hours.

Sprint TV is included although I’m getting an invalid VID – didn’t have this issue on the mogul (will have to investigate further)

Live Search is included but it is the old version so make sure to uninstall and then install the new version

The Comm Manager is the newer version that I had downloaded for my mogul

Requires FLASH install

Instant messaging installed OZ instant messaging which is an AOL Messenger add on – I removed right after I installed.

ActiveSync with Exchange 2007 initially gave the error 80072f7d. I’m using a public cert so I thought this was odd – I reset the device and synced – this time it worked perfectly.

Contacts have a nice letter selector on the side instead of the top.

ROM version 1.12.651.1
ROM date 9/18/07
Radio Version 2.13.00
PRL 60610

No WIFI – not a big deal for me – I certainly knew about this when I got the phone but some people may be concerned – frankly I’m probably happier without it as the mogul would come up even if the switch was off.

No IR Beam -no big deal as I never used it - just noticed it was missing though.

Stylus seems a tad short – might take a bit for me to get used to. It is only about 1 cm shorter than the mogul stylus but much lighter as well.

If you install Voice Command, confirmation via BT will not work – same as Mogul

Tested out Plantronics 655- sucked my caller said I sounded like crap, BUT tried out Plantronics 650 - works much better.

Last edited by Pibe38; 11-15-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:31 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

papped is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Man that post title was confusing
Old 11-15-2007, 08:38 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Whoops! Thanks for catching that. I just changed it - not sure if this forum will let you change subjects though.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul

vash730 is a n00b
here you go http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48
Old 11-15-2007, 08:41 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: x
Carrier: x

Primenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regularPrimenall is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Glad to hear it finally worked out for you, I was following your saga here and on Buzzabout.

I know the things I would miss most would be...
Scroll wheel, not a lot of people mention it, but it's nice for me for one handed web. It was a nice feature coming from the 6700.

Flashlight, like you said it's bright and always with me, use it a couple time a week.

All the buttons, I don't understand why they can't just have "some" buttons, I mean do they really have to push the touchsrcreen aspect so completely.
I'd definetley use Spb button.

So my biggest question before I go out to the store to compare for myself, is how does the color and brightness compare between the touch and mogul? Just tryng to get an idea first.

Nice Review by the way

Last edited by Primenall; 11-15-2007 at 08:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 08:57 PM
boe
Almost a VIP
Threadstarter

Glad you mentioned the scroll wheel - while I didn't use it myself - I know a lot of people will miss it. I miss the middle button the most as I had that assigned to voice command - the camera button is not in a handy spot for that.

I won't say it is worked out until I get the credit back for the phone

I think I'd need a lumen scientifically answer your question. My touch appears to be a tiny bit brighter at mid setting and appears a tad bluer than the mogul.
Old 11-15-2007, 09:23 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
There's already a first impressions and full user reviews threads on the Touch forum.

I also edited out your ## code because that IS YOUR MSL. It is yours, and only yours, and will only work on your device.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan