PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC Touch
Carrier: Verizon

cpuguy06 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tutorial: USB DUN with "Wireless Modem" app on HTC Mogul

Quote:
Originally Posted by VizionForever View Post
THANKS KURT!
November 09
"HOWTO: Install an HTC Windows Phone as a USB Modem on Windows 7 x64

I’ve been struggling for the past 2 days trying to get my HTC Touch Pro 2 to install as a tethered USB modem on my Windows 7 Ultimate x64 installation – the last item on my migration path from the 32-bit world to the 64-bit world of Windows.
I’m used to Samsung devices admittedly. With Samsung Windows Phones, like clockwork, all you’d need to do is set the phone to “tether” mode on the phone and plug it into the serial port of your computer on any current Windows OS and walla – the driver would either install miraculously or it would be downloaded over the Internet from Windows Update. No muss, no fuss. 100% functional every single time.
HTC… not so much.
THE UNEXPECTED EXPERIENCE – HTC AUTO INSTALL = NOT?
I followed the following procedure above for my HTC Touch Pro 2 from Verizon and all I go was “Could not install driver" after Windows clearly went to Windows Update to check for a current driver.
Now I know that the driver for this phone as a tethered modem is a very basic driver but for some reason there’s nothing registered for it’s hardware identifier within the Windows 7 x64 OS or online in Windows Update. (This usually means – ahem - that the OEM manufacturer didn’t bother to register the driver with Microsoft, something Samsung has done repeatedly for previous operating systems)
So I searched… GOD, did I search… high and low for a driver to download and install. I tried unzipping them and pointing “Device Manager” to the unpacked drivers and it would never recognize any of them.
It got to the point where I was able to actually configure the phone to be a BLUETOOTH WIRELESS MODEM (which did autoinstall correctly using Windows Update by the way) but still couldn’t get Windows Update to pick up the HTC TP2 as a wireless tethered modem despite it being USB connected.
THE TURNING POINT: THE VZACCESS DISC
I’d installed the VZAccess Manager Software to see if the drivers would install and the phone would be recognized as a device. After all – the thing is supposed to be an end to end installer right? No joy. I installed the VZA Manager software and even it wasn’t able to finagle the OS to recognize the phone.
I was beginning to hate life when I realized: HEY. Maybe the drivers were on the disc? I searched the disc and found nothing. Then I thought… HEY. Maybe the drivers got installed by some miracle on my machine during the VZA install but the installer didn’t install them correctly? Grasping at straws? YES. But desperate times…
HOLY CRAP. I do a search of my machine and lo and behold, I find this directory:
C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\WModem_Installer\Vista64
There’s a bunch of .SYS files and .INF files in there. Lookin’ good! I open START-CONTROL PANEL-DEVICE MANAGER and right mouse button click on the “Generic Serial” devices listed under OTHER DEVICES, and click “Update driver software”. I point to “C:\Program Files (x86)\HTC\WModem_Installer\Vista64” annnnnnd….
BOING! “HTC USB Modem” appears! Hallelujah! I do the same for the “other” Generic Serial entry in OTHER DEVICES (there were two) and “HTC Diagnostic Interface (COM” appears!
SETTING UP THE DIAL UP NETWORKING CONFIGURATION
The rest is downhill. I go to START-CONTROL PANEL-NETWORK AND SHARING CENTER and I click the link for “Set up a new connection or network”. I click “Set up a Dial Up Connection” on the next screen, then select my newly created “HTC USB Modem” and click ‘Next’.
I fill in the following information:
The User name is simply your phone number with “@vzw3g.com” appended to it. And that’s it! The software should autotest things and you should be good to go!
BUT WHY NOT JUST STICK WITH BLUETOOTH IF THAT ALREADY WORKED?
I stuck to trying to figure this out over USB instead of staying happy with just Bluetooth tethering which did in fact work because of one reason: SPEED. I was recording about 990kbps download speeds over Verizon’s network while using the Bluetooth configuration and knew that the HTC Touch Pro 2 was capable of EvDO Rev A speeds that were much higher.
The moment I tethered the phone and tested my new HTC USB Modem driver enabled configuration, I saw a massive difference in overall bandwidth. I got as high as 1892kbps… a speed that starts to rival my home DSL line.
BUT I DON’T HAVE THE VZACCESS MANAGER!

Yeah, you’re supposed to download it from this link. You will need a current subscription to Verizon Wireless’ services to get in.Now that being said, I’ve zipped up the stupid directory of drivers for my phone and have posted it to my web site to make it easy for people to install.Anyway, I hope this saves at least ONE person out there the trouble that I had to go through to figure this out.

Kurt Shintaku has turned off comments on this page."

PPS I had to manually install drivers go to hardware in control panel go to properties by right clicking have to manually select the exact file for the unidentified serial device (MODEM) I did the 44kb one first and then the 3kb one after, restarted an wallah...Oh yea the windows 7 serial modem driver is from evilkoalla.org link is above! rarest drive in the planet but I suspect this driver will be shakin' soon
This worked extremely well for me. I downloaded the vista 64 bit drivers...opened the file "HTCvComV64" and modified the entry to look like the following:

[Models.NTamd64]
%OEMDevice00% = OEMPort00, USB\VID_0830&PID_8003&MI_01

Had windows search that folder for drivers and bam it found it. Got CDMA workshop open right now. Working great! Thanks!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 05:26 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Mogul
Carrier: Sprint

jawturbo is a n00b

Kudos on your post.

I installed the Mogul drivers and then the XP SP3 drivers on my Desktop PC. Everything worked great. Mostly.

I disabled the primary ethernet adapter connection before installing the XP drivers and then cranked up the HTC Mogul Wireless modem Network, which worked great. The only minor prob was that I couldn't enable the primary Ethernet adapter after I disconnected the HTC Mogul wireless modem adapter.

No worries. I just rebooted the Desktop PC and the Ethernet connection worked perfectly - that's Windows, reboot or reinstall.

FYI. I installed the Vista drivers on my laptop running Windows 7 Ultimate x32. Again, KUDOS for your work. The Vista drivers worked perfectly with the newly installed HTC Mogul Wireless adapter. The HTC Mogul runs Windows 6.1, ROM 3.56.651.0.

I'm using that Mogul Wireless adapter to write this post.

I'm not a kid ( 50+ dinosaur) but I know quality work when I use/see it. I used to be a software developer for Datapoint back in the 80's when the hottest thing on the market was our 6600 micro using the newly developed ARCnet LAN. Software and firmware drivers were my niche.

Anyway, thanks a bunch. I can now hit the internet using my Mogul on the Win 7 laptop thanks to your work.

jawturbo
Old 11-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: touch pro
Carrier: sprint/boostCDMA

sdwyz74 is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to sdwyz74

not trying to run PAM but need to share the come port and i cant get it to regconize the phone it keeps coming up with a error and the diagnostic port says generic insted of HTC i have a TP sprint and i need to get it share the com port ??? please help ive been at it for days and i'm losing hope thanks

PS the error it gives is "The file 'qcmdmxp.sys' on HTC USB Driver Disk is needed"

then it says type the path where the file is located and then click OK but every place i have put it or tried to it does not see it
Old 11-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Lurker

sdwyz74 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TalynOne View Post
Try pointing it to your \windows\system32\drivers folder.

not trying to run PAM but need to share the com port and i cant get it to regconize the phone it keeps coming up with a error and the diagnostic port says generic insted of HTC i have a TP sprint and i need to get it share the com port ??? please help ive been at it for days and i'm losing hope thanks

PS the error it gives is "The file 'qcmdmxp.sys' on HTC USB Driver Disk is needed"

then it says type the path where the file is located and then click OK but every place i have put it or tried to it does not see it
Old 11-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Lurker

sdwyz74 is a n00b

sorry for the DOUBLE POST MEANT TO QUOTE THANKS AND happy turkey day
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 AM
Lurker