PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2008, 06:34 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: mogul
Carrier: sprint

JudasD is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Internet calling (VoIP) on the mogul works, but...

I was able to get Internet Calling (integrated VoIP) on the mogul working with the Gizmo VoIP service. The big problem is that the volume is so low it is pretty much unusable. I followed all of the guides on xda and came up with the same issue as everyone else; i could not get internet calling to show up on the today screen and i did not have any of the internet options under the phone settings. What solved it for me was Schap's Setup VoIP tool version .3. This tools gives us the ability to now set the items that us Mogul users do not have available under the phone settings.

In a nut shell:

1) install WM6VoIP.CAB then reboot
2) install SetupVoIP_v0.3.cab (Schap's VoIP tool)
3) open Schap's config tool and set:
a) all of your SIP settings.
b) Set outgoing calls using VoIP to Whenever available.
c) enable VoIP over 3G.
Now when you go to your phone dialer it should now show the name of your VoIP service at the top rather than your carrier (Sprint PCS in my case). You will have to force your internet to connect first (i use PIE to start my internet connections up, not sure of a better way to do this.) Now you will be able to make and receive VoIP calls. I have verified this by calling another phone and seeing that the caller ID is from my VoIP. I have also been able to stay on a call and browse the web at the same time (not normally possible on sprint). The 1X icon never appears over my Evo icon while on the phone now. Interestingly enough i could not get this to work over WiFi, it would only work on Evdo.

This integrated VoIP is so seamless that it pains me to use another app just because of this volume issue. I have tried:

Skype. Works great, but not with Gizmo.
SJPhone. Works with Gizmo, but is VERY choppy.
GoSip. Works great with Gizmo, but is very big and slows the phone down.
Fring. Works great with Gizmo and the mem usage is great, but has no dial pad and that pretty much makes the app useless.
Wengo. Works great with Gizmo. Mem usage is on the big side, but is manageable. Seems to be the best for me so far.
I have tried many others that either work as dial out only or only work with their makers SIP service.

Any other ideas or thoughts?

Thanks,
JD

Last edited by JudasD; 01-13-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typos
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: Alltel

Sparkster is a n00b
Talking This VOIP setup works on my Apache 6700 running WM6, but...

Thanks,
Must have been the 3G setting that did it, because it works now. =D>

BUT...

I don't have any data service on my phone. It is an Alltel unit used and I have it on a prepaid plan (I really just wanted the pocket pc) with no data service. I have good wireless coverage at home and work and a few hot spots I know of so this works for me.

I only have WiFi and it works with the phone on or off, but not quite right. I can connect to SipPhone (Gizmo) and dial 411 "TELLME" but its as if the operator is hearing all kinds of noise from my phone, keeps thinking I'm saying things. I tried Sjphone yesterday and that did work, but same issue with tellme. I could hear very well, but when I run an echo back test 17474743246 I can hear a loud clicking noise and a very bad Echo. I could not get the phone to dial anything but 411 today with this configuration (must be to much noise from my end).

Another issue I have is that when I turn the phone on and the wifi reconnects, I have to open Schap's VoIP tool and save my settings again, wait a few seconds..... open the phone dialer and it says SipPhone.

WOW, I just tried a test. I dialed a local sip access number and called my sip number at Gizmo from my home phone. My home phone by the way is VOIP through QuantumVoice over a DSL line. The call quality was awesome, I mean really good. The speaker volume on my Apache was very low, but I could hear fine in a quiet room. The call quality from my Apache to my home phone was crystal clear, and rich, not tinny at all. There were no chops throughout the entire 4 minute test with my 8 year old son. Pretty good considering I had two VOIP transmissions over the single Residential DSL line. I don't know why I am having a problem dialing out to the Gizmo test numbers.

This by the way is a way to get free incomming calls on SIP VOIP, may be time limited, don't use it much so don't know. My home plan has unlimited calling so I just call everyone back when they call me.

Your not working over wifi issue could be your settings under
control panel\connections\connections\advanced\selected networks
"Programs that automatically connect to the internet should connect using:"
try setting this to my work network or my isp. Mine is curently set to my ISP because it kept trying to call the nonexistent #777 data dialup and drove me buggy as well as didn't work.

I really want something that can run IM and voip over a jabber server on my work network since they are too cheap to buy there engineers cell phones. I tried OCTO Talk but it kept trying to hit it's server through our firewall.

long and windy, sorry this is my first post every on any forum.

Summary:

Alltel Apache ppc6700 running wm6 upgrade

CUSTEL Voip.cab from http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...07&postcount=1

SetupVoIP_v0.3.cab (Schap's VoIP tool)

Call only works over the speaker phone at low volume, but hey, its free.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PPC6700
Carrier: Alltel

Sparkster is a n00b
Correction, wasn't the 3G setting

I went back and tried with 3G disabled, no change. Still works. I did load a slightly different ROM earlier in the day. I am running the Apache WM6 Kitchen CE OS 5.2.1908 (Build 18508.0.7.0) - UPDATED 20071217.

Previously I had included the VOIP OEM in the kitchen in the ROM. I suspected this was causing me problems so I left it out and manually installed the items listed in my previous post and that is when everything stared to work. I was using a different IP Config utility previous to reading this thread. I loaded Schap's config tool and the combination of the new ROM without VOIP, different VOIP cab and this config tool it what makes it work.

One more thing, the mic on the Apache is on the bottom of the phone so it doesn't matter if you hold it backwards and use the speaker phone as an earpiece. Low volume is not really an issue this way.

Last edited by Sparkster; 01-15-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

stifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regularstifiling is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via Yahoo to stifiling
i got it workin on my mogul as well using no2chem's wm6.1 rom. Not sure I could expect more from a voip connection over evdo. it's pretty, very good. it is coming from the loud speaker rather then the internal one, and the wired headset doesn't work (i dont have a bluetooth anymore, fell outta my lap when i went to pump the gas, so can't test). Coming from my loud speaker though, it's so loud..it vibrates the phone and the other party can hear themselves echo.

Looks like JudasD wants to turn his up, and I'd like to turn mine down.

Last edited by stifiling; 02-12-2008 at 03:50 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:34 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: nokia
Carrier: Vodac

vvvvvoip is a n00b
Re: Internet calling (VoIP) on the mogul works, but...

Using VoIP can significantly reduce your telecommunications costs. You can use your VoIP system anywhere not depending on where you are, for example, in business trip, in hotel, or at home. Also, you can talk on your laptop. VoIP systems allow you to do things that are simply not possible with traditional phone technology. You can talk as often and as long as you like for free.
voip-catalog.com
Voip providers

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan