PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Need gps receiver for Sprint Mogul (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=10356)

jbbosu 11-05-2007 10:30 PM

Does anyone know if there are trial/demo versions of TomTom/iGuidance..???

I'd love to try it out.

Google Maps and Live Search aren't cutting it for turnbyturn.

Edit: I'm using the M-1200 and love it.

TalynOne 11-05-2007 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jbbosu (Post 114736)
Does anyone know if there are trial/demo versions of TomTom/iGuidance..???

I'd love to try it out.

Google Maps and Live Search aren't cutting it for turnbyturn.

Edit: I'm using the M-1200 and love it.

There's no trials available for those products. But let me repeat what others have said. IGuidance is considered the better, by many, of the two for US travel. And TomTom is good for European travel (IGuidance has no European maps). It's not that TomTom is bad, it's just IGuidance has nice bells and whistles, that TomTom doesn't, on Windows Mobile platform. IGuidnace text to speech for road names, and tells you what side of the road your destination is at, TomTom doesn't. IGuidnace tends to also have better routing, but that really depends where you live. If you want to see what the TomTom interface is like, go to your local electronics super store and they will usually have a TomTom ToGo display unit you can play with, the PocketPC interface is pretty much the same. Of course you could also do a YouTube search for both IGuidance and TomTom to see videos of their interfaces.

jbbosu 11-05-2007 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TalynOne (Post 114752)
There's no trials available for those products. But let me repeat what others have said. IGuidance is considered the better, by many, of the two for US travel. And TomTom is good for European travel (IGuidance has no European maps). It's not that TomTom is bad, it's just IGuidance has nice bells and whistles, that TomTom doesn't, on Windows Mobile platform. IGuidnace text to speech for road names, and tells you what side of the road your destination is at, TomTom doesn't. IGuidnace tends to also have better routing, but that really depends where you live. If you want to see what the TomTom interface is like, go to your local electronics super store and they will usually have a TomTom ToGo display unit you can play with, the PocketPC interface is pretty much the same. Of course you could also do a YouTube search for both IGuidance and TomTom to see videos of their interfaces.

Thanks a bunch for the help...I wonder if iGuidance will include euro maps later on..I'd be sold. I'm assuming free upgrades are available as well for most programs?

jcoppenh 11-06-2007 10:52 AM

Okay, this is my first post so give me a little slack. I finally got the DeLorme Earthmate BT-20 to work with the Mogul. This process was more painful than Marine Boot camp [yes, I was a Marine]. It seems to work well with Live Search but what a headache. The biggest issue is setting up the com ports. I know for most of the people that will be reading this it was most likely very easy for them to set up if need be. For those of you that are GPS-PPC challenged like myself, I recommend using the tutorial found at:

http://www.delorme.com/support/supporttemplate.aspx?id=313

I would also recommend to my fellow newbie’s that they follow the advise of the experts on this forum. This forum is a plethora of priceless knowledge that has made my life so much simpler. Go with the GPS they advise and use the software that they recommend. Then thank them as I am doing now. Even though I got the Delorme to work, I am going to purchase the device and software they have recommended. It was more of a challenge but not ideal after I got it to work.

Thanks to all that have posted.