PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   using PimBackUp trying to extract text messages from damaged phone (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=102819)

iHateXmas 12-22-2009 11:54 AM

using PimBackUp trying to extract text messages from damaged phone

OK, so my old phone was basically destroyed, but i have lots of important messages etc that i need to extract. i used PPCPimBackUP and i got all the files but they were saved as PIB file. Now, i found out that .PIB files are basically zip files. i extracted those and the largest file (the one with the important texts etc) was a PBM file. I've tried several programs but to no avail to open this in a readable form. If anyone can point me to any help, or if you have a different program that you've used to transfer these messages i would greatly appreciate it.

drewcam888 12-22-2009 11:59 AM

Re: using PimBackUp trying to extract text messages from damaged phone

Pimbackup creates it own files when it creates a backup. You then copy the file to your new phone and use the restore option. Did you try that

iHateXmas 12-22-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1431038)
Pimbackup creates it own files when it creates a backup. You then copy the file to your new phone and use the restore option. Did you try that

i actually wanted to save them on my computer. i switched over to android, so im not even sure those files would even be read. when i open the pbm file with something like notepad you can kind of make out the messages but the formatting is very garbled.

drewcam888 12-22-2009 12:37 PM

so can you still use the old damaged phone? I think you will have to try other methods.

iHateXmas 12-22-2009 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drewcam888 (Post 1431104)
so can you still use the old damaged phone? I think you will have to try other methods.

well the screen is cracked. otherwise the insides are OK.

drewcam888 12-22-2009 01:12 PM

hmm there is some other software that will get texts off but i forget the name. You could use microsoft my phone but I dont know if it is available for android.

iHateXmas 12-22-2009 07:42 PM

OK. problem solved. Used a program called Jeyo Mobile Companion. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING PROGRAM. Beautiful/simple/ easy to understand interface. Can back up, save and export all text messages even from the deleted folder. I believe it is a Trial and then Buy software - but the trial has full functionality.

Not sure if this will be deleted - but im sure other people will run into this problem.

Thanks

PS. Also saves all contacts, call history etc.

GirlGoneGeek 12-22-2009 11:46 PM

Thanks for sharing. :)