PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Titan (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Turning old phone to gps device (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=102634)

TwitcH 12-21-2009 12:01 AM

Turning old phone to gps device

Ok so I have a old Sprint Mogul and I was gonna turn it into a stand alone GPS navigation device. My question is what would be a good base rom to start with as I dont need any messaging or phone related features? Much less any online app that may be installed. I have tom tom navigator 7 installed on my Touch Pro and im looking to set this up for my girl to use in her car.

drewcam888 12-21-2009 09:37 AM

Re: Turning old phone to gps device

Something like dcd 3.3.4. It has about no additional software attached. Remember to put the phone in airplane mode to conserve battery.

TwitcH 12-21-2009 03:21 PM

I cant put the phone into airplane mode with out disabling the gps as well any sugestions? Tom Tom and Garmin both report no GPS phone is in flight mode

drewcam888 12-21-2009 03:32 PM

Well I have a mogul and use gps in airplane mode. Or just try turning the radio off. I used gps on a plane many times before.

psycho_maniac 12-21-2009 03:34 PM

whats a good gps to use? with airplane mode on, i keep forgetting this, you cant use data and the phone is not on a line anways so you actually need a good working fully loaded gps program.

TwitcH 12-21-2009 04:00 PM

I have Tom Tom fully set up and its decent im gonna test garmin and iGo8. Everyone is saying garmin is the best. I will post me results later and any tweaks i may have had to do ... im gonna flash the phone in a little bit and start from fresh to see if i cant get it running faster. here is my plan....

1) Fully functioning GPS Navigation
2) Full Media player (Music, Movies, whatever)
3) Wireless Network Fingerprinting with GPS Support (WifiFoFum)
4) Remote Desktop to my computers while at home or within range of my network.
5) I have a Sling Box and the Sling Player software for TV. local use only as the phone isnt on a carrier plan
6) And any other piece of software that I may find useful or anyone else says may be good
7) Games .... any games we may like on the device.

And all this just for the girl to take this thing with her every where she goes lol maybe ill buy her a stand alone unit and take this. lol but I have a Touch Pro with tom tom installed after my tests here that may change. Wish me luck.

drewcam888 12-21-2009 04:32 PM

I use garmin xt

psycho_maniac 12-21-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwitcH (Post 1429199)
I have Tom Tom fully set up and its decent im gonna test garmin and iGo8. Everyone is saying garmin is the best. I will post me results later and any tweaks i may have had to do ... im gonna flash the phone in a little bit and start from fresh to see if i cant get it running faster. here is my plan....

1) Fully functioning GPS Navigation
2) Full Media player (Music, Movies, whatever)
3) Wireless Network Fingerprinting with GPS Support (WifiFoFum)
4) Remote Desktop to my computers while at home or within range of my network.
5) I have a Sling Box and the Sling Player software for TV. local use only as the phone isnt on a carrier plan
6) And any other piece of software that I may find useful or anyone else says may be good
7) Games .... any games we may like on the device.

And all this just for the girl to take this thing with her every where she goes lol maybe ill buy her a stand alone unit and take this. lol but I have a Touch Pro with tom tom installed after my tests here that may change. Wish me luck.

i was liking all these ideas. i would love an excuse to carry around another phone. right now my other phone is an alarm clock and i still carry that around in my bag.

let us know on the gps programs test. this is really interesting.

kyvahe 12-21-2009 09:49 PM

I'd go with one of Ryan Moguls carrier-less ROMs.. hes has a zero-g ROM with no extra features, but if you get the light ROM you at least will have GPSviewer and the led flashlight from first boot.

Teej53214 12-21-2009 10:49 PM

I actually did this for a GPS device for my teenage son.. And I used Ryan Mogul's Carrierless 6.1 rom...... with 3.35 radio... I have TomTom installed and running... I also installed Skype on it for my teenageson to use as his own line in the house (any anywhere he has Wifi access) for only $60/yr total... It works very well for all of this...