PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint

Mustang46L is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Mustang46L
Mogul vs Tilt -- GPS Question

So the AT&T HTC Tilt has a standalone GPS while the Sprint HTC Mogul has nothing? Anyone ready to crack their Tilt open and snap some pics for us and we can try to find out why we got the shaft and the Tilt got full GPS support?
Compaq H3650 --> Handspring 600 (Sprint) --> HTC 6600 (Sprint) --> Dell Axim X51v --> HTC Mogul (Sprint) --> HTC Touch (Sprint) --> HTC Diamond (Sprint) --> HTC Touch Pro (Sprint) --> Palm Pre (Sprint) --> HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint)
Old 10-19-2007, 11:24 PM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
The answer is simple. AT&T asked for GPS and Sprint didn't want it. Most of the features that are disabled on any given phone are due to the carrier's wishes.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Well, I understand that even "if" the Mogul has the GPS support and Sprint wants it disabled, it gets disabled. I suppose my question is that if the Tilt and the Mogul are sharing similar hardware, might the Mogul still have hope of having the hardware in it that we "might" be able to share some code from the Tilt to get us Mogul owners some real GPS support?

Or is it all just wishful thinking? -- Just like my dreams of Sprint TV on the Mogul
Old 10-20-2007, 08:55 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: TP

aughsum is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46L View Post
Well, I understand that even "if" the Mogul has the GPS support and Sprint wants it disabled, it gets disabled. I suppose my question is that if the Tilt and the Mogul are sharing similar hardware, might the Mogul still have hope of having the hardware in it that we "might" be able to share some code from the Tilt to get us Mogul owners some real GPS support?

Or is it all just wishful thinking? -- Just like my dreams of Sprint TV on the Mogul
you know theres a sprint tv app now right? that seems to randomly materialize online.. i installed it, works but im not in an evdo area so theres no point.

AFAIK the tilt and mogul share the same shipset.. what is it the 7500 or something? if the community tried we could have gps.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

About the processor, I've heard 2 things about the Tilt. First I heard it was a 524mhz processor but now I'm hearing that it is the Qualcomm MSM7200 not that MSM7500. Confusing.

Second, thanks for making me Google for Sprint TV again Found it at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1362743 and it works GREAT on my Mogul
Old 10-21-2007, 12:27 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang46L View Post
About the processor, I've heard 2 things about the Tilt. First I heard it was a 524mhz processor but now I'm hearing that it is the Qualcomm MSM7200 not that MSM7500. Confusing.

Second, thanks for making me Google for Sprint TV again Found it at http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh....php?p=1362743 and it works GREAT on my Mogul
I think it was here first

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=10106

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 AM
Regular 'Geeker

SINNN is a n00b
Ya.. some random noob posted it and "poof".. we have Sprint tv. Let me hear a Hip!hip!hurray! for the noobs! They are actually good at scavanging the internet.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 AM
VIP & Master of my Domain
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

stroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIPstroths is a VIP
As far as GPS goes, part of the hardware is missing according to Shadomite who looked at detailed pictures of someone's Mogul. They had taken the casing off and took lots of pics of the inside so he could take a look. His determination at the time was that we would be stuck with AGPS.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:51 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

B18DelSolT is keeping up the good workB18DelSolT is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to B18DelSolT Send a message via MSN to B18DelSolT Send a message via Yahoo to B18DelSolT
according to what i heard from a friend, the tilt has agps. He also mentioned that the gps works real well on the tilt, that it picks it up very very quickly
Old 10-21-2007, 08:01 PM
Wiredengineer
Pocket PC: EVO 3D/Acer Iconia Tab!

PropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuffPropagandaX knows their stuff
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Its makes me mad that sprint stiffed us on the gps. My work buddie with the sprint blackberry 8830? constantly rubs this in my face.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan