PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Lurker

JakeS is keeping up the good workJakeS is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
PC as A2DP Device?

Is it possible to use my PC as my A2DP device on my Mogul? I have all my podcasts on the mogul, and it keeps up with what's played and not. I'd like to use my PC speakers to listen in my office though, and I don't want to have to unplug them and go through all the adaper hassles.

I see a "Headset" bluetooth profile on my PC, and it is connected as "Hands Free" on the Mogul, but the sound continues to come out of the Mogul's speaker.

This seems like it should be simple.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:57 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus
Carrier: Sprint

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
you've got the bluetooth profiles wrong.
headset and handsfree are low-quality mono audio profiles, used for making calls and connecting with your average cell phone BT earset.

A2DP is the Advanced Audio Distribution Profile, and only compatible with later BT stacks. Your computer might not even support it.
If it does, it will be called something like Wireless Music, or A2DP/AVRCP, etc.

If you want to use the sub-par headset or handsfree modes, the PPC is smart enough to assume that you don't want your music to sound like its coming out of a tin can (the quality is good enough for a cellular phone call, but not for music), so it only routes phone calls to the headset.

There are a few ways to force all audio coming from the ppc to the bt headset, such as using the app BTAudio to toggle it. In order for this to work, you still need to set your PC to be an AudioGateway, which is different from headset/handsree (more specifically, headset is to output mono bt sound to an external speaker, and handsfree is the same thing plus support for handsfree controls such as redial, voice dialing, etc. If you want your PC to be the one RECEIVING audio instead of sending it to a headset, you need the Audio Gateway profile).

If your pc supports A2DP input, then you're golden. Many PC BT stacks pre-date A2DP, and the ones that support it usually only support output. But you can check.
In the end, you could always get yourself an A2DP BT Audio receiver like the i.tech R35, and plug them into your speakers. That's what I did to play music over my home stereo.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800-> Diamond

freegood is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by dishe View Post
In the end, you could always get yourself an A2DP BT Audio receiver like the i.tech R35, and plug them into your speakers. That's what I did to play music over my home stereo.
I've been looking for something like this. Is the microphone on the clip or the headset?

And I assume that you got an RCA Audio Splitter Adapter to hook up to your stereo system?

What store did you buy your R35 from? Are there any cons to it?

Sorry about the 21 q's, but it'd be a big help in my search for a convenient BT receiver for my phone. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:51 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: UTStarcom PPC6700TE
Carrier: movistar Venezuela

Wolf71 is a n00b
Send a message via ICQ to Wolf71 Send a message via AIM to Wolf71 Send a message via MSN to Wolf71 Send a message via Yahoo to Wolf71 Send a message via Skype™ to Wolf71
Simple

Yes, any pc can act as ad2p, under the following requeriments:

-sound enabled on pc (supposed!)

-a bluetooth dongle with broadcom chip (only some branded carry this like d-link and msi, among others) with original widcomm software

having this only have to connect the dongle, wait the windows message and you say that install the driver later, then goto www.broadcom.com, support, bluetooth, download the btwinitialupdate archive, run it and itself will download the neccesary sofware, 5 series for winxp and 6 series for winvista.

after installing and rebotting the pc, pair the pc with the device, include the ad2p service, invoke it with the device (set as wireless stereo order) and put any mp3 on device and you're ready!
Old 10-18-2007, 04:35 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: lg optimus

dishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on repdishe is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf71 View Post
Yes, any pc can act as ad2p, under the following requeriments:

-sound enabled on pc (supposed!)

-a bluetooth dongle with broadcom chip (only some branded carry this like d-link and msi, among others) with original widcomm software

having this only have to connect the dongle, wait the windows message and you say that install the driver later, then goto www.broadcom.com, support, bluetooth, download the btwinitialupdate archive, run it and itself will download the neccesary sofware, 5 series for winxp and 6 series for winvista.

after installing and rebotting the pc, pair the pc with the device, include the ad2p service, invoke it with the device (set as wireless stereo order) and put any mp3 on device and you're ready!
Almost all BT chips are identical, its only a question of software. This is what I said in my initial response, but without getting into too much detail.

Broadcom doesn't make the chips, afaik.
They write the software, called the BT Stack. Broadcom bought out Widcomm, who used to be the leaders in BT software.

Yes, you can download the broadcom stack and make it work on any bt dongle, but its only licensed to certain BT address numbers (the software checks to see if the dongle you have is licensed by them or not).
This can be hacked, but I'm not going into it. Its not so simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freegood View Post
I've been looking for something like this. Is the microphone on the clip or the headset?

And I assume that you got an RCA Audio Splitter Adapter to hook up to your stereo system?

What store did you buy your R35 from? Are there any cons to it?

Sorry about the 21 q's, but it'd be a big help in my search for a convenient BT receiver for my phone. Thanks.

Yes, the mic is in the clip, the headphones are regular 3.5mm stereo headphones. I have many inputs on my home stereo, but yes, in general an RCA Adapter is usually needed (A splitter? Why, do you have only one input on your receiver? That would just insert extra static for us Audiophiles!).

I bought mine on ebay. Not real popular in the US as far as stores stocking them...
REmember, a2dp is still relatively new.

Coolest A2DP gadget:
check out the Sony BT25000 Car stereo. Love mine.

Last edited by dishe; 10-18-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 10-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apache (PPC6700); Titan (Mogul)

luv2chill is keeping up the good workluv2chill is keeping up the good work
Send a message via ICQ to luv2chill Send a message via AIM to luv2chill Send a message via MSN to luv2chill Send a message via Yahoo to luv2chill Send a message via Skype™ to luv2chill
Quote:
Broadcom doesn't make the chips, afaik.
They write the software, called the BT Stack. Broadcom bought out Widcomm, who used to be the leaders in BT software.
That is incorrect. Broadcom makes a lot of chips, including bluetooth radios. Back before Broadcom acquired Widcomm you usually saw chipsets by Cambridge Silicon Radio (CSR) that licensed the Widcomm stack but that's no longer the case, from what I've seen. The Widcomm/Broadcom stack, beginning with v6, no longer works with anything but Broadcom radios.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: 6800-> Diamond

freegood is a n00b
Quote:
Yes, the mic is in the clip, the headphones are regular 3.5mm stereo headphones. I have many inputs on my home stereo, but yes, in general an RCA Adapter is usually needed (A splitter? Why, do you have only one input on your receiver? That would just insert extra static for us Audiophiles!).

I bought mine on ebay. Not real popular in the US as far as stores stocking them...
REmember, a2dp is still relatively new.

Coolest A2DP gadget:
check out the Sony BT25000 Car stereo. Love mine.
Thanks! The adapter is listed as a splitter on monoprice.com (still cheaper than radioshack after shipping...)

I was thinking about this site because shipping is free and then hoping my CC through paypal will get my order in (or money back).

Until I get a new car soon, it's a cassette car kit through the BT audio reciever for me. Your ears must be ringing in shame

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Titan