PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: T-Mobile Touch Pro 2
Carrier: T-Mobile

Freddy2Fred is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Freddy2Fred Send a message via MSN to Freddy2Fred
Re: What is a better phone HTC EVO or HTC THUNDERBOLT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
The Thunderbolt is obviously better.....

Advantages of Thunderbolt are:

Better CPU (2nd gen snapdragon)
Better GPU (2x better due to adreno 205)
256mb more ram

I am not sure how the LCD and Camera are in comparison...but regardless Thunderbolt is a decent upgrade over the Evo.

The Evo3D is not out yet so there is nothing to compare..and dont expect the Evo3D to have such a huge advantage until ice cream comes out..the difference between the Evo <->Thudnerbolt <-> Evo 3d is 6 month gaps around...so if its unfair to compare a thunderbolt to an Evo, then its unfair to compare an Evo 3D to a thunderbolt even more.

Your soo correct on that one... Plus it has a SLCD and faster 4G. Their LTE is alot better than WiMax... My brother has the Thunderbolt and it feels pretty different from the EVO for some reason. But yea Thunderbolt is better.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:18 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro
Carrier: Sprint

knlmwq is a n00b

Just curious. To those who have played with both phones, do you think the difference between the two is enough to justify paying $69-$79 dollars a month on sprint compared to paying $89-$99 dollars a month on verizon. Keep in mind that This Verizon price doesnt include visual voice mail while sprint does. I doesn't include verizon navigation but sprint includes sprint navigation (may not matter to you because you can use google maps). Neither price includes extended warranty or any discounts you may receive from your job which may be comparable on both providers. In my opinion it isnt a big enough difference. I think others should let OP know what they think if he hasn't made a purchase already.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC touch pro

knlmwq is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by gTen View Post
You will see the difference when you use hardware accelerated stuff...videos and games.

In terms of CPU even 600mhz-800mhz is enough to run most apps..if you look at your CPU usage..you will notice your phone rarely even hits 1ghz and runs at around 400-800mhz depending on which steps are programmed.
Playing with the phones side by side I personally haven't seen a difference in game and video performance. But thunderbolt does have a better processor, more ram. So again I guess it boils down to is that worth the extra cost. Definitely test to see how 4g is in your area for each service. Would be great if you could test both at your house/job, but that may not be possible
Old 05-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by knlmwq View Post
Just curious. To those who have played with both phones, do you think the difference between the two is enough to justify paying $69-$79 dollars a month on sprint compared to paying $89-$99 dollars a month on verizon. Keep in mind that This Verizon price doesnt include visual voice mail while sprint does. I doesn't include verizon navigation but sprint includes sprint navigation (may not matter to you because you can use google maps). Neither price includes extended warranty or any discounts you may receive from your job which may be comparable on both providers. In my opinion it isnt a big enough difference. I think others should let OP know what they think if he hasn't made a purchase already.
I think that coverage and carrier quality would also play a huge part in the decision. In my experience, I've only ever droppped 2 calls in 5 years with Verizon, and all my friends with Sprint hate their reception and the customer service. Verizon has always shown me great customer service, and have even helped me out with stuff that was my fault to begin with. Just my $0.02...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:47 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 3D

yankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regularyankees45us is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Like someone said, you can't compare a recently released phone with one thats been out for over a year. As far as coverage there is no need to start comparing. Some people have great coverage with verizon and some with sprint. My friends lives in an area that only verizon has coverage. I live in an area that has both verizon and sprint so I choose sprint due to lower prices. So it all depends which company works for you.
As far as phone comparison I guess when your ready to buy a phone compare it to the closest release date phone, and if the closest phone to compare is as old as a year then it's most likely the newest phone has more memory and more gpu processing power.

Sent from my Evo using Tapatalk

Full Body Protection for your smartphone or tablet
http://stealthguards.com/idevaffilia...ate.php?id=417
Old 05-18-2011, 12:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint TP2
Carrier: Sprint SERO

hceuterpe is becoming a great contributor

From my understanding, spec wise those phones are basically the same. The AT&T Desire, Evo and Thunderbolt are all basically the same phone, but customized for each carrier (as just about all phones in the U.S. are).

Once you talk about the 4G though, it's a whole different game. It's sort of unfair as Verizon 4G is newer as they are started later. But it's also the name of the game. In think Sprint made a mistake with WiMAX and going too early and that with it they go away from all the other LTE networks in the U.S touted as 4G.

They'll have a tougher time getting certain phones because of this. Sprint has also been hitting quite a bit of road blocks for expanding their 4G network because the issue with Clear (which I hear is very close to bankruptcy).

To be honest, nothing beats Verizon for coverage at a Nationwide scale. I have a Sprint phone and a Verizon blackberry for work. Both at @ 3G. In my experience, Sprint's network vs. Verizon's kinda sucks.

Last edited by hceuterpe; 05-18-2011 at 12:43 PM.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt