PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2011, 11:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch - Alltel
Carrier: Verizon

Firsttimer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm new to Droid, why root this phone?

Please list the advantages you get from rooting a this phone if you will. I have been a WM6.5 user for years now. M y biggest need would be to make my phone (when I get it) a wifi hotspot that VZM does not charge me for using lots of data.
Old 04-09-2011, 04:33 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Re: I'm new to Droid, why root this phone?

the advantages u get from rooting are exactly the same as flashing a HSPL and/or custom rom on a WM device. when rooted ull be able to flash custom roms,radios and even tether. but Android is a little bit more complex when flashing custom roms. everything has to match otherwise u'll either mess up the radio in ur device or brick it completely. in short if all u want to do is WiFi tether then u won't need to flash a custom rom but if u want to do that be sure to follow the directions al pie de la letra or watch a YouTube video.

Last edited by eric12341; 04-09-2011 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:59 PM
"The Fuzzy One"
Pocket PC: PPC6800 & Touch Pro 2 & Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

gTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the communitygTen is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
the advantages u get from rooting are exactly the same as flashing a HSPL and/or custom rom on a WM device. when rooted ull be able to flash custom roms,radios and even tether. but Android is a little bit more complex when flashing custom roms. everything has to match otherwise u'll either mess up the radio in ur device or brick it completely. in short if all u want to do is WiFi tether then u won't need to flash a custom rom but if u want to do that be sure to follow the directions al pie de la letra or watch a YouTube video.
Thats not exactly how rooting works...

When you get the phone out of box, you are just a regular user..on linux, root is the name of the top admin user...rooting is effectively a way for you to gain full access to the system. You can then effectively remount read only partitions such as system to read/write and remove bloat-ware and other things mentioned such as tethering.

Custom roms is a little different, while it also requires read and write access it requires the use of the recovery..and instead of recovering a stock to you recover a custom rom.

Overall its not more complex then winmo..just that there is more room for customization because in winmo you couldn't modify the kernel, in Android you can.

http://quickrewards.net/?r=!F94VXV35D5MV2

(My shameless referral link)
Old 04-14-2011, 07:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch - Alltel
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

Firsttimer is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
U hear that Verizon will soon be charging for tethering via wifi. With rooting and a new rom, will they not be able to charge us then?
Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM
H the F Up!RED DRAGONS!!
Pocket PC: TouchPro 2
Carrier: Big Red V

Whotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIPWhotahn is a VIP
VZW has always charged for WiFi tether. Bolt users are getting free WiFi hotspot until May 15thish, then VZW will push the new update to the bolt which will then deny you use of THEIR wifihotspot unless you pT for the service. If rooted oh well there is an app for tht lol. They can not detect that....yet. They can however run strategic audits of customer data amounts & start pointing fingers at the super high data users.......... However VZW CAN tell what radio & prl
Old 04-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2(Retired)/HTC Arrive(Sold)/HTC HD7
Carrier: T-Mobile

eric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIPeric12341 is a VIP
Mentioned: 54 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firsttimer View Post
U hear that Verizon will soon be charging for tethering via wifi. With rooting and a new rom, will they not be able to charge us then?
theoretically no but if they follow at$Ts model then u may just get a tethering package added anyway.

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt