PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 03:13 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon

krusty46 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Battery Life

Battery life on this thing is awful. I was getting 2 days on my Touch Pro2 and I'm lucky to get 3-4 hours on the Thunderbolt.
I spent the morning turning everything off (by that I mean anyth9ing that auto syncs)to save battery life, but whats the point of having the phone.
Old 03-19-2011, 03:45 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

JSK0703 is a n00b
Re: Battery Life

Same here, but on my TP2 I ran the titanium UI with just about everything turned off. The Thunderbolt has all of those services turned on by default. Email, Facebook, Twitter, News, Stocks, etc. All updating every 15min or less. I just started tuning that stuff down this morning.

Also, check the Settings > About Phone > Battery > Battery Use

It will show you what is using up your battery. For me, over 50% is being used by the display because of the size and brightness level.
Old 03-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Bringer of Good Things
Pocket PC: HTC TITAN
Carrier: AT&T

GoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation levelGoodThings2Life can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

Definitely want to spend some time in the Settings > Power area, and drop your screen brightness to about 40-50%. After that, start going through and minimizing app sync schedules.

Also, I've read two reports that suggest 4G usage is draining the hell out of these phones. Anyone hazard a guess this might be why there was such a big delay in the launch?
Old 03-19-2011, 07:52 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

All of the reports prior to launch indicated that battery life was not going to be the strong suit of this device. Make sure to look into some task managers, changing the auto-update settings, and the screen brightness.

There's also an extended battery available for those that desire more.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Screen brightness is down to 30% and everything now syncs once per day or is turned off.
Went from 100 down to 90% after 1 hour of use...and by use I mean basically sitting on my desk unplugged with the screen off. I just peeked at the battery level a few times.
I really love the phone, but there is no such at all of making it through a day without a charger being involved.
I live on Long Island and have been getting 3-4 bars of solid 4G, so I can't really blame it on poor 4G coverage in my area. I've also been averaging 16mbs downloads which makes it really hard to potentially give the phone up
Old 03-20-2011, 06:00 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro2

JSK0703 is a n00b

Friday night I charged the phone before bed. Got out of bed 10 hrs later and only had 30% left. That was with the default settings.

Since yesterday, my battery life has been getting better. I reconfigured the sync settings and turned down the screen brightness. Last night, I used the bump charge technique. It has been off the charger now for almost 17 hrs and I still have 30% left. That includes some games, Youtube, surfing, etc. Plus random text, email, FriendStream and Tapatalk use. Going to run it down again and do the bump charge once more tonight. Then see how things go through the work day tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

My wife was having the SMS issue where it has the sender by SIM # and not Phone #, so she was told to pop out the battery and SIM card for 30 seconds. Well we both tried it and it seems to have helped the battery life too. It's 6pm by me and I'm at 72%. I pulled it off the charger at 12:30. Light use today, but still better. Just passing it along
Old 03-21-2011, 06:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work

I've had the TB for a few days now and was having a battery drain issue along with everyone else. I went through and tweaked a lot of settings but I found the most important thing to do was to go to the Blockbuster crapware app that comes pre-installed and let it upgrade and then open it and disable the automatic sync with Blockbuster. After that my battery life went up considerably.

R
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:16 PM
Two-Time Mafiosi
Pocket PC: HTC Thunderbolt

Kliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributionsKliptik should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Send a message via MSN to Kliptik

Quote:
Originally Posted by racedog View Post
I've had the TB for a few days now and was having a battery drain issue along with everyone else. I went through and tweaked a lot of settings but I found the most important thing to do was to go to the Blockbuster crapware app that comes pre-installed and let it upgrade and then open it and disable the automatic sync with Blockbuster. After that my battery life went up considerably.

R
Had you used the Blockbuster app prior to upgrading it? Jus curious as to if/why it would be a data hog if it's never opened.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Vogue & HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Former Midwest Wireless forced to Alltel and soon to be Verizon

zeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regularzeurx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

It was something with the DRM service that goes with it. I had it using 75% of my battery on the first day. Rooted and now the program is no where to be seen and battery is pretty good

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt