PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt > HTC Thunderbolt Development

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 12:59 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Desire
Carrier: Telus

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Re: [Kernel] Ziggy471 MECHA BETA Kernel UPDATED 3 May 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
Why would someone PM Ziggy asking, after he already told us publicly that it was not available? How does that make sense at all? The source posted does not seem to match ANY kernel he posted, and does not properly build as-is.

Where did anyone complain about needing source to all of them? (I may have missed this)

No one ever targeted Ziggy specifically, we pipe'd up on a point, that many of us do when we see this happening. Refusal to comply is different than not having source available publicly. He did both.

Your points are invalid. Cleaning up this thread would serve no purpose other than to hide a chain of events. It should be preserved for public record.
Because PM'ing him directly for contact rather then having the possibility of posting in a thread and it being missed seems like a smart idea to me. Its what i would do.

Cleaning up would have the posts moved out to there own thread.

"You sir are wrong, there is not matching source (at the time of these postings) to his kernel that is publicly available. There is no source on his site, that matches the kernels he has posted. Similar source, original source, source from another kernel does not constitute compliance."

This is the tree that every single one of those kernels came from.

You asked for the source tree, you got the source tree. You got the source tree in mid update. So you have a newer source tree then the posted kernel. All of the posted kernels were built from this source tree and so will be the next one.

It is what it is and at this point if you are still not happy then go do what you have to do.

What are you aiming for. Pulling down the links to the kernels until he posts this build?

And like i said, if you had contacted him directly, or even in this thread because he did see it just hadn't been free long enough to get back to you. The source was available.

That is how i got it.

If I have helped you, you like my work, want to get me a coffee or you feel like you wish to help me get my next device.

feel free to its appreciated, but not required!

Thanks To everyone who donated!
Old 05-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: various
Carrier: various

jcase is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X View Post
Because PM'ing him directly for contact rather then having the possibility of posting in a thread and it being missed seems like a smart idea to me. Its what i would do.

Cleaning up would have the posts moved out to there own thread.

"You sir are wrong, there is not matching source (at the time of these postings) to his kernel that is publicly available. There is no source on his site, that matches the kernels he has posted. Similar source, original source, source from another kernel does not constitute compliance."

This is the tree that every single one of those kernels came from.

You asked for the source tree, you got the source tree. You got the source tree in mid update. So you have a newer source tree then the posted kernel. All of the posted kernels were built from this source tree and so will be the next one.

It is what it is and at this point if you are still not happy then go do what you have to do.

What are you aiming for. Pulling down the links to the kernels until he posts this build?
The request for code was obviously not missed, and you are ignoring that fact. He replied and said no (more or less). If the source builds, I got what I wanted, and requested nothing more than that.

At the time of writing that post, the source was not publicly available. You know this. You are making excuses for what was done, but a mod making excuses does not make it right. However, since it seems to have been made right, it should be over now.

I appreciate you working to get the source publicly available.

I believe these posts should stay here, to keep a complain thread.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:10 PM
Retired Staff

Mr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation levelMr. X can't get a higher reputation level

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcase View Post
The request for code was obviously not missed, and you are ignoring that fact. He replied and said no (more or less). If the source builds, I got what I wanted, and requested nothing more than that.

At the time of writing that post, the source was not publicly available. You know this. You are making excuses for what was done, but a mod making excuses does not make it right. However, since it seems to have been made right, it should be over now.

I appreciate you working to get the source publicly available.

I believe these posts should stay here, to keep a complain thread.
He may have said no earlier, i cant find any record of that on ppcgeeks (just like google is saying with Honeycomb source because its shit right now)

But the source was made available. As per GPL it was available upon request as soon as his Git server was up.

You came here, the source was asked for and it had not even been replied to yet.

Can't say he said no here.

What ever happened on XDA happened there the kernels are no longer on XDA so any conversations or transactions between user on XDA is not here obviously.

What ever he posted on his blog and decided to remove after it was no longer valid is also not here. All these things Did not happen here.

You asked for the source, He didn't have the time to reply I went out of my way to get it done for you.

So thats what it boils down to.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:23 PM
Lurker

jcase is a n00b

Your honeycomb analogy is not a valid one, HoneyComb kernel source WAS released, google said no to Honeycomb APACHE licensed parts, and that was within their rights. Apache does not require the source to be distributed.

It was not available upon original request, original requests results with a no posted to his blog. I can certainly say he said no, does not matter where he put his reply. You can not deny he said no.

I am unaware of what happened on XDA, I was unaware he posted on XDA. I am unable to follow every thread or post.

What boils down to, he violated the GPL, it took a community effort to get it corrected. He is being erroneously defended by people who do not understand, or who simply won't admit that he/they were incorrect in actions.

fyi
The source still does not compile with that toolchain you recommended, I will resync later tonight, possible that is an error on my end.

Quote:
He may have said no earlier, i cant find any record of that on ppcgeeks (just like google is saying with Honeycomb source because its shit right now)

But the source was made available. As per GPL it was available upon request as soon as his Git server was up.

You came here, the source was asked for and it had not even been replied to yet.

Can't say he said no here.

What ever happened on XDA happened there the kernels are no longer on XDA so any conversations or transactions between user on XDA is not here obviously.

What ever he posted on his blog and decided to remove after it was no longer valid is also not here. All these things Did not happen here.

You asked for the source, He didn't have the time to reply I went out of my way to get it done for you.

So thats what it boils down to.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:33 PM
Retired Staff

Its user error, pull the config from one of his kernels and see if that works for you.

Building here for me just fine
Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Lurker

jcase is a n00b

Quote:
Its user error, pull the config from one of his kernels and see if that works for you.

Building here for me just fine
Will pull it tonight
Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Lurker

jcase is a n00b

For those wanting to build this, here is the config from Ziggy's kernels.

Multiupload.com - upload your files to multiple file hosting sites!

Source builds fine.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:20 PM
Geek with a Gun
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

ziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the community

First off, I don't appreciate my thread being hijacked.

Second, I really wasn't online much last night, at least not checking things here, I spent a 12 hour day yesterday on the range, over 3K rounds down range with just 3 shooters, a mix of 5.56mm on HK 416's and 9mm on Sig 229's. I didn't know any of this was going on until somewhere after 1032 EST, when I got the notification of a reported post by Andrynalyn, just like every other mod on the site. We had very little cell coverage, let alone reliable data coverage on the ranges. The first thing I did was a voice call to Mr. X, who by the way is not just a mod, he's the site administrator, and asked him to handle it, thank god for GVoice, I hate bills for calls to Canada.

Mr. X started to keep me in the loop at that time, he is also the one who added the link to my git server on my website, yes, he's an admin there too. Since PPCG doesn't requite me to post the link to the source, I hadn't, but the server had been up since I started posting here, whether you care to believe that or not. If you also care to check, I have never started a kernel thread at XDA, nor do I really intend to. Others have started them because of my kernels, and I take that as a complement that they appreciate my work enough to start a thread.

I planned on having the git server up and going long before I got the TB, I hadn't had much time to devote to getting it set up due to my battle with the AF to remain on active duty after my med board came back. They wanted to separate me with compensation at 18 years 3 months, I fought it and was allowed to stay on active duty until 20, so I could retire. I'm not using this is an excuse, I don't make excuses, and I don't lie, I have to do poly's once a year. I'm mentioning it so you may understand why I haven't been able to get things going sooner.

If you can't get it to compile, that's not really my issue, but I'll give you a list of what I'm running:
Ubuntu 11.04 32bit (installed Saturday afternoon from scratch)
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc

Nothing else really special, other than in Natty, they don't use gnueabi 4.4 by default and 4.4 is borked in their packages anyway, hence me doing fixes in order for a warning free compile last night. I don't use the ndk toolchain anymore, decided to clean things up a bit and started using standard gnu gcc.

As for the config, I include the config in my kernels, you can get it from a running kernel at /proc/config.gz, or a non-running kernel using extract_ikconfig, come on guys this is simple shit. I can't guarantee that it will compile with the default config, never really tried that, I use my own config. Hell, I don't even compile in the same directory as the source, for the MECHA, I run 2 kernels from the same tree, and the frankenstine, 12 kernels from the same tree, again, simple shit guys.

I don't plan on being online much tonight, another long day today, 4K rounds down range, again, just the three shooters, and it was a nice sunny 75F/24C out today, see X, I converted it for you. lol All I wanted to do when I got home was to clean up, site down and enjoy some ice cold beer. This is what I intended on doing once I finish writing this, the beer is in the freezer getting really cold right now.

Now off to enjoy my beer,

Z

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
Ronald Reagan
Old 05-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Super Senior VIP Member
Pocket PC: Nexus 6p
Carrier: Att StraightTalk

psycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIPpsycho_maniac is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Send a message via MSN to psycho_maniac Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_maniac

hurray now those 2 can stop harassing you
Old 05-10-2011, 04:49 PM
Geek with a Gun
Pocket PC: Thunderbolt
Carrier: Verizon
Threadstarter

ziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the communityziggy471 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_maniac View Post
hurray now those 2 can stop harassing you
At least they're not impersonating me and asking for donations, you remember that, that's how we kind of met. lmao

Z

PPCGeeks > Android > Android HTC Devices > HTC Thunderbolt > HTC Thunderbolt Development

Tags
kernel, mecha, ziggy471