PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Someone with more knowledge please explain (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=98419)

jskoland 11-24-2009 04:41 PM

Someone with more knowledge please explain

I need someone with more knowledge to please explain this to me. I live in Northwest Iowa and Verizon recently purchased Alltel in my area. So my question is this... If Alltel was currently EvDO and both Verizon and Alltel are CDMA why do I not get 3G on my phone. I know there have been several posts about stuck in 1x Land but I don't know if that is my issue. If I drive 8 miles to the east of where I live I get 3G on my phone and it works great. As soon as I get home I can watch it switch to 1x and there I stay.

So I thought that my PRL was the issue and I tried switching it to a Verizon PRL but it constantly switches back to a Hybrid PRL. I am assuming I am connecting to an Alltel tower or a US Cellular tower but both of them are EvDO, I would think I should be able to get 3G. Am I looking at this all wrong? Is there a more complicated answer to this? I just don't get it.

Thanks for your time.

Survivalism 11-24-2009 05:41 PM

Re: Someone with more knowledge please explain

Try going into settings, all settings, personal, phone then go to the network tab and enable CDMA only.

Also make sure that your data connection is turned on in your comm manager.

I have also noticed that my phone does not connect to data while connected to the computer.. im not sure why it does that but i think i enabled it to use the computers connection somehow lol.

jskoland 11-24-2009 06:01 PM

thanks for the reply. Yes CDMA only is what I have selected as well as data connections are on.

meanngreen 11-24-2009 09:28 PM

You're not in a 3g coverage area.

meanngreen 11-24-2009 09:32 PM

Looks like you're not in a 3G coverage area. I'd call tech support.

Look here also, http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95795

briannowicki 11-25-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jskoland (Post 1358474)
I need someone with more knowledge to please explain this to me. I live in Northwest Iowa and Verizon recently purchased Alltel in my area. So my question is this... If Alltel was currently EvDO and both Verizon and Alltel are CDMA why do I not get 3G on my phone. I know there have been several posts about stuck in 1x Land but I don't know if that is my issue. If I drive 8 miles to the east of where I live I get 3G on my phone and it works great. As soon as I get home I can watch it switch to 1x and there I stay.

So I thought that my PRL was the issue and I tried switching it to a Verizon PRL but it constantly switches back to a Hybrid PRL. I am assuming I am connecting to an Alltel tower or a US Cellular tower but both of them are EvDO, I would think I should be able to get 3G. Am I looking at this all wrong? Is there a more complicated answer to this? I just don't get it.

Thanks for your time.

Honestly not sure if this will do you much good but some reviews say it works and some youtube videos also show it works... check this out. you can stick it inside your phone under the battery, etc.. and for only $2 it might be worth it..

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...6C9WPPSZ7JK6RT

meanngreen 11-25-2009 03:48 PM

Those antenna strips really aren't much help. I tried it on my Diamond last year and didn't notice any difference. I'm sure that it depends on the individual and where it's at. Just my 1 1/2 cent on that.

gt3dan 11-29-2009 08:49 PM

you can go to any corporate verizon store and have them put in a "hybrid PRL" this will allow your phone to use the alltel towers until the equipment conversion is completely finished. however you will not be able to do the *228 option anymore because OTA programming wipes out the manual programming. this has really helped people in areas where alltel primarily had better service than verizon.

countalmaviva 11-30-2009 11:07 AM

Wirelessly posted (XV6975 Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

You might try mobilespeedtest.com from your Imagio just to confirm what's going on. I'm in NY, and my bandwidth varies from 215kbps to 1000kbps even though my status bar displays the 3G icon.

Viventis 11-30-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gt3dan (Post 1372192)
you can go to any corporate verizon store and have them put in a "hybrid PRL" this will allow your phone to use the alltel towers until the equipment conversion is completely finished. however you will not be able to do the *228 option anymore because OTA programming wipes out the manual programming. this has really helped people in areas where alltel primarily had better service than verizon.

What is the "hybrid PRL" to which you refer? Does it work with all Verizon phones? My daughters have an Envy Touch and a Samsung Rogue. Their mom lives very close to an Alltel tower. The nearest Verizon tower gives them pretty dodgy reception.