PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 08:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

SaosinEngaged is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Very effective way of increasing battery life (charging related)

Okay, I'm not sure if this is common knowledge (it probably is), or if someone else has been advocating this (by all means come here and take credit), but I definitely found that giving the phone at least two "supercharges" dramatically increases everyday battery life. By supercharge, I mean charging the phone for about 14 hours continuously. When I first got the phone, I was unable to do this due to my busy schedule and needing my phone with me constantly, but on my first day off I charged it for about 14 hours and I am actually shocked at how much of a difference in overall battery life it made. Two weeks later, and I can still pull off 2 full days without a charge with mostly phone/SMS usage and a little web browsing.

All I have to say is the battery life on the Imagio kicks the crap out of the Storm I was coming from.
Old 11-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon VX6900

jstchilln is a n00b
Re: Very effective way of increasing battery life (charging related)

My battery life has greatly improved to. The first few days I got less than a day and so I went and bought a second battery which has been unused.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

ahearn is a n00b

Yeah, battery life for me has greatly improved since a couple of weeks ago when I first got it. It seems to get better every day. It's like the battery has to get "broken in."
Old 11-15-2009, 09:49 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon-Alltel

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work

Once a week I run mine totally dead, then charge it overnight with my laptop, rather than the wall charger, and my Imagio battery is awesome. I could be totally off on this, but I feel that since the USB charging only charges at around 500 ma, as opposed to 900+ with the wall charger, that the battery gets a more thorough charge, kind of like a trickle charge.

I notice that when I take it off the wall charger, it seems to quickly drop to 90%, usually within a few minutes. But when I charge it USB, it stays at 100% for hours sometimes.

My battery was not very good at all out of the box, but for the first two weeks I totally discharged it and then fully charged it each time, and can now squeeze out two days with fairly heavy usage, the only charging it might get during the day is in the car on the way home. Each day my usage is about 30-60 mins talk time, 40-50 txt, push activesync on all the time, receive about 30 emails, browsing the web for 30-60 mins, and sometimes listening to music w/ bluetooth for an hour. Also I am constantly playing with the phone, rarely do twenty minutes go by that I don't turn it on to mess with something.

However, I just got a TP2 yesterday and so far the battery is really terrible, I hope I can get more life out of it as it breaks itself in, but it doesnt look good. At this point I can barely get it to last 6 hours.

Alltel / Verizon
Old 11-15-2009, 10:45 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: imagio

Toysrme is keeping up the good workToysrme is keeping up the good work

the phone draws whatever power it asks for from a USB port. which is the same amount. (set in .250ma incriments)

lipo's have neglidgeable memory, and do NOT need to be broken in what so ever. SOC = State of Charge:

their lifespan is finite and always degrading.
long term storage ALWAYS be stored at 40% SOC
Short term storage should be at 75-80% SOC
the LESS you run them down between recharges the LONGER they live.
Running a lipo below 20% SOC signifagantly shortens the lifespan.
40*F storage temperature is near ideal

For example after 1 year
40% SOC / 100% SOC
0*C 98% / 94%
25*C 96% / 80%
40*C 85% / 65%
60*C 75% / N/A 60% SOC retained for ONLY 3 months

Smart phones have terrible batter life to being with (high relative current draws)

HOWEVER IMO we are experiancing extremely bad battery life on average for two primary reasons:
1) The LIPO's are stored incorrectly AND/OR are old stock
2) The voltage scale / calibration of the OS is NOT reading the lipo cell correctly
Old 11-15-2009, 10:48 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Imagio

ddrum is a n00b

My battery life has been fantastic from the get go!
Old 11-15-2009, 10:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Cool Re: Very effective way of increasing battery life (charging related)

there is absolutely zero breaking in for a lipo. The day it is created it has the HIGHEST charging capacity avalible and it degrades from there.

Multi-cell lipos (not used in phones) CAN benifit from discharging & recharging initially because lipo cells will discharge at different rates. periodic discharging the high cells and re-charging to balance the pack to an equal SOC rgeatly helps the health of multi-cell packs

this phone uses a 1s 1500ma 3.666C battery.
That means its a single cell (3.7v) 1500mah battery that is rated for a 5500mah current draw. to maintain battery life such a low quality battery should not be charged at more than 1c (1500mah).
Old 11-15-2009, 11:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Cool Re: Very effective way of increasing battery life (charging related)

personally, i think my battery is simply too old & was stored incorrectly. End of the 4th day of use
Battery was delivered @ a 30% SOC or lower
Day 1 it stayed on the charger & had little use. was definately running the battery low.
Morning of day 2 it stayed on the charger until 100% SOC was reported (and stayed on it well after that). Suspecting battery life issues running ABSOLUTELY NOTHING AND with all wireless disabled + put in airport mode. The phone went from 100% charged to so dead it turned itself off & refused to turn on in LESS than 4 hours. That's ****ing attrocious.

Day 3 from a 100% SOC it was loosing 20% SOC every 15 minutes.

Day 4 (today) was slightly better (couldn't have been any worse...). With almost no use (4 1-5min phone calls and a half dozen TEXT ONLY txt messages + always in great cell reception areas) it made it maybe 6 hours before dipping low enough it needed to be on the charger

BTW, I cant tell you how much power this phone draws when running heavy tasks, but using the 1 amp (max) wall charger this phone drains the battery when doing heavy tasks. The USB charger can't deliver enough current to run the phone when its working. (as in if you're watching a movie AND charging it, it will STILL go dead eventually...)

IMO the battery stock they've shipped to many people is total ****.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio