PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 06:52 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

ddrum is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Screen Gap

From what I have read, it looks like there are a few people who have the screen gap above the hardware keys which is most seen when in a dark area or dimly lit area when your screen has all of the lighting on, i.e. hitting your end key to get your screen out of lock mode.

It also seems like this is from the first batch of phones as well as I have not heard anyone else complain about this recently and in the stores, none of the phones have the same problem.

This is not a huge issue but is a bit annoying as you see all of the dust and depending on how low the lighting is, you get a interesting halo effect around the sides and top from the light bleeding out of the screen.

So two questions..........

1) Is this necessary to replace from a functionality stand point? Will this effect the phone negatively as time goes on?

2) Is this worth replacing from a cosmetic standpoint as all other functions work fine?

For those who don't have the gap above the hardware keys, how is the lighting when you hit the end key on the sides and top? Do you see lighting bleed out from around the screen?

I love the phone and don't have any issues like others have complained about, i.e. battery life or hardware issues with the keys / headset jack but can't stand seeing this gap and all of the light popping out around the screen edges.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: imagio
Carrier: verizon

cdodge is a n00b
Re: Screen Gap

i am still thinking about swapping whiel in my 30 days. I also love th phone and even though the gaps arent that big of a deal i am wondering what the long terma ffect will be as far as the ease of dust getting behing the screen
Old 11-09-2009, 09:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

brucb3 is just getting started

Yea, everybody needs to check thier phones and see if this is certain ones with this problem or all the phones have this gap. Mine has it and I got my Imagio on oct 22. If there is a second batch then I will return mine before my 30 days.
Old 11-09-2009, 09:57 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid/Imagio/Eris

Jal3223 is just getting started

I too have the gap in between the screen and buttons. Also there is a very small gap on either side of the screen that can only be seen when the buttons are lit up. Actually none of the gaps are visible unless the button lights are on. I received my Imagio on 10.8.09, after sending back two replacement touch pro 2's. One of the tp2's had a gap between the screen and buttons like my Imagio. So I'm thinking that it isn't in "batches" but just from device to device. I'm kinda afraid to send mine back, because all of the replacements I get have something else wrong with them. Like dead pixels. Maybe the dust will not cause any problems, my desktop has openings that dust sneaks into and It has been going strong for a long time. The openings in the cpu are much bigger also. So I might just try to wait it out and see. Also I think if anything was to happen b/c of this issue, the year warranty would cover it.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

cdodge is a n00b

i am starting to think the phone was designed this way. if you think about it the issue only happens when the buttons are lit up. why would they have the same lighting go all around the screen? it seems that it would only make sense to have the lighting right behind the buttons. mine only bothers me because i have a gap on the right hand side and not the left. if it was centered it might not bother me as much
Old 11-09-2009, 10:10 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Imagio
Threadstarter

ddrum is a n00b

I have stopped by several stores and all do not have the gap. The stores did not get their models until after almost a month of selling online or in other words, later batches.

What I have noticed is the spacing around the newer models is closer to the screen but there is slightly more of a gap at the bottom of the buttons compared to my original one that has a larger gap between the buttons but no gap at the bottom of the buttons.

hhhhhhhhmmmmmmmm
Old 11-09-2009, 10:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

cdodge is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge View Post
i am starting to think the phone was designed this way. if you think about it the issue only happens when the buttons are lit up. why would they have the same lighting go all around the screen? it seems that it would only make sense to have the lighting right behind the buttons. mine only bothers me because i have a gap on the right hand side and not the left. if it was centered it might not bother me as much
oh i forgot to tell my story.

So i call in to 611 for phone support and told them about the issue and they said they would send out another one or i could have ot replaced in the store. so i go into the store and they tell me they wont replace it becasue there is nothing wrong with it. i told them it shouldnt matter if ther is or not i am within my 30 days satifaction garauntee. then i asked if they dont follow that in the store. he said that verizon would not replce it at all. so i called back inot 611 while he was in front of me and had them sent out a replacement and he said wow, what a good deal. i said wow, 30 day satifiaction garauntee means 30 day satifaction garantee does that not make sense to you?

i was so close to closing my verizon account. why do the people in the store suck so bad when i have had nothing but great luck with the phone reps?
Old 11-09-2009, 10:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid/Imagio/Eris

Jal3223 is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdodge View Post
oh i forgot to tell my story.

So i call in to 611 for phone support and told them about the issue and they said they would send out another one or i could have ot replaced in the store. so i go into the store and they tell me they wont replace it becasue there is nothing wrong with it. i told them it shouldnt matter if ther is or not i am within my 30 days satifaction garauntee. then i asked if they dont follow that in the store. he said that verizon would not replce it at all. so i called back inot 611 while he was in front of me and had them sent out a replacement and he said wow, what a good deal. i said wow, 30 day satifiaction garauntee means 30 day satifaction garantee does that not make sense to you?

i was so close to closing my verizon account. why do the people in the store suck so bad when i have had nothing but great luck with the phone reps?
I have never had a good experience at a chain or corporate store. They all seem like they are on the defensive with any issue that I have inquired about. I would just stick to customer support.
Old 11-09-2009, 11:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: from lame-ass imagio, to incredible incredible!
Carrier: forced to verizon from alltel

bradhtc is a n00b

I have only been in the verizon store a few times, never for replacements thou...and have had very good luck so far. In fact, I left some choice comments on the cust serv line survey (problems with a dumb phone rep) and the manager of the local store called me the next day to follow up on the complaint, I was stunned). He checked to make sure all was good (he left me his cell num).
But, on the other hand, I have had lots of other problems with the switch (from alltel), mostly due I think to former alltel employees learning verizon systems (or so they tell me). I also can't get VVM on my imagio (alltel numbers ported to verizon aparently present verizon with a problem with VVM) and can't use imagio with my kids chaperone service either (imagio aparently not yet compatible with this service...FYI)

Anywho, to the screen thing...MIne has the same issue equally all the way around the screen (or close) but seems to be a small issue from where I stand. It looks acceptable to me and isn't overly distracting. May be a part of the design, who knows. I don't see it as a big enough issue to return the phone for, and besides the phone carries a 1-year warranty-doesn't it? I also have device insurance so I guess it's not that big of a deal to me. I had a vogue (with alltel) with a peeling screen issue, called the warranty co. and they sent me a new phone no prob (not the insurance but the warranty). My 2 sens
Old 11-10-2009, 12:09 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio, Incredible
Carrier: VZW

TonyK is keeping up the good workTonyK is keeping up the good work

I also have a small gap. I had a xv6900 and after a while i could see dust under the digitizer screen that was on the LCD, i would have to take the phone apart every once in a while to clean it. Although we don't want to have to do this with these new phones, if we start to notice it under the digitizer screen it may be a problem. Haven't had the Imagio apart, it might be closed off from the screen, and im sure we could get a replacement if this happens

If I Have Helped You, PLEASE HIT [THANKS],, THANKS

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio