PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   I can proudly state I'm sticking with my Imagio... (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=95622)

SaosinEngaged 11-09-2009 06:15 PM

I can proudly state I'm sticking with my Imagio...

I was on vacation for about a week and missed the launch of the Droids, which is what I was waiting for before I made my final decision on whether or not to stick with the Imagio.

Well, I just got back from an hour long visit to my Verizon store and can proudly state that I feel at the current time the Imagio is the BEST phone on Verizon.

For starters, the Moto Droid is absolutely hideous. To be honest, it looks much worse in person than it does in pictures, and I was actually shocked that's the best form factor and design Motorola could come up with. Seriously, what were they thinking? Also, I know it isn't old news or groundbreaking to hear complaints about the physical keyboard, but I honestly felt it was one of the worst I've ever used. And CNET and others have literally raved about the screen, but I find the screen on the Imagio to be equal or better. Maybe it's my eyes? Onto its implementation of Android itself, it just leaves me scratching my head a bit. I don't understand where all the hype is coming from. It's an operating system. It's not flashly, it's not dramatically groundbreaking, it's just another operating system. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that this phone with its Android operating system was toted as an iPhone killer and to be using an interface that's as or more revolutionary than the one on the iPhone. I'm just not seeing it. Yes, the customizability is pretty cool, but it's essentially just a multiple desktop interface, and the whole thing, to me, feels pretty convoluted and unintuitive. I'm not saying WinMo isn't complex, but especially its iteration on the Imagio IMO is far better. Not to mention at least WinMo has a file manager.

Android feels like an overly complicated blackberry interface, and honestly it wasn't my cup of tea, and certainly not "revolutionary" or worthy of the tremendous hype.

ahearn 11-09-2009 08:24 PM

Re: I can proudly state I'm sticking with my Imagio...

I'm also sticking with my Imagio -- same reasons. Furthermore, I don't feel like beta testing Android while on a 2-year contract. WinMo is not perfect but at least I know what the problems are and can find tweaks to fix most of them.

Anyone who is trying to decide between the Droid and Imagio should take the time to read the Droid forum on this site -- as well as this forum, of course.

Jal3223 11-09-2009 10:04 PM

I agree. The Imagio is a great phone. Besides if anyone is curious of Android, just spend 75 bucks on a used htc touch. There is a "almost" full port of Android on that device (hero and donut). I love android myself, and find myself switching between my Imagio and my 6900 all the time. So whenever we get a port for the Imagio, It will be unstoppable. I just like the option of both operating systems.

cdodge 11-09-2009 10:18 PM

if i needed a keyborad the droid actully has a good form factor. i just checked it out in the store an hour ago.

i am glad i went to check it out because i also feel much better about hte imagio now. the droid feels like a chaep toy and the keyborad is gonna fall off after a months worth of usage. the screen was not very sharp either.
howver the responsiveness of the screen was pretty amazing.

I also checked out the eris which i liked except the screen was to small and it had android on it.

i will also be keeping my imagio unless the omnia 2 gets realeased tomorrow

KnightlyScribe 11-09-2009 10:39 PM

Yeah, I'm sticking with Imagio, too. It's really sexy and the htc interface is sweet, too.. Plus, I think that Winmo 7 will be awesome and blow iPhone outta the water!

bigboy292000 11-09-2009 11:02 PM

I asked my wife if she wants to keep the Imagio or should I return it (30 day period) and switch her back to her HTC Touch (xv6900). She looked at me like I was nuts, LOL.

She is not a geek, yet still loves it. I did some tweaking before handing her the phone and it seems to be running great! I figure it only gets better if we get the SPL...

bradhtc 11-09-2009 11:30 PM

I don't know about WM7 blowing everything out of the water... but as much as my imagio pisses me off with slow feedback and 2-3 SR's/day, I keep coming back to one thing-man I love this beautiful little machine! If it was attatched to me below the belt, I would never get out of bed. Prob get fired. The screen is brilliant, the shape/size is absolutely spot-on (for big sceen freaks), and the silky smooth sensitivity (when it works...*$^*$#^$&!!) feels like that of my kid's Itouch. In fact, my kid with the Itouch (who hated my vogue) said the imagio feels like hers. I'm just glad I'm not in beta with that hidious clunker-esque moto-dodo-droid. Others have said it, I'll repeat it...man that thing is FUGLY! What were those jack-asses over there at moto-morona thinking?? Two words: looks like the phone that gave johnny cochran brain cancer. Sorry Johnny...ok thats more than two words.
My imagio is here to stay (unless leo comes CDMA...NOT). I can always break mine open and try new roms (droid??) and there are SO many free (yes and paid) and cool things out there for WM.infinity...to me thats what keeps people like us away from rip-offs like apple. That's right apple (small "a"), I said it, you are the con-artist of the electronics world. Sue me. Screw hard keyboards too. I can fly with my XT-9 phone keypad. WM...PITA but fixable and fun; thats what we all like and thats why we're all here!
Enjoy

briannowicki 11-09-2009 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SaosinEngaged (Post 1313212)
I was on vacation for about a week and missed the launch of the Droids, which is what I was waiting for before I made my final decision on whether or not to stick with the Imagio.

Well, I just got back from an hour long visit to my Verizon store and can proudly state that I feel at the current time the Imagio is the BEST phone on Verizon.

For starters, the Moto Droid is absolutely hideous. To be honest, it looks much worse in person than it does in pictures, and I was actually shocked that's the best form factor and design Motorola could come up with. Seriously, what were they thinking? Also, I know it isn't old news or groundbreaking to hear complaints about the physical keyboard, but I honestly felt it was one of the worst I've ever used. And CNET and others have literally raved about the screen, but I find the screen on the Imagio to be equal or better. Maybe it's my eyes? Onto its implementation of Android itself, it just leaves me scratching my head a bit. I don't understand where all the hype is coming from. It's an operating system. It's not flashly, it's not dramatically groundbreaking, it's just another operating system. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that this phone with its Android operating system was toted as an iPhone killer and to be using an interface that's as or more revolutionary than the one on the iPhone. I'm just not seeing it. Yes, the customizability is pretty cool, but it's essentially just a multiple desktop interface, and the whole thing, to me, feels pretty convoluted and unintuitive. I'm not saying WinMo isn't complex, but especially its iteration on the Imagio IMO is far better. Not to mention at least WinMo has a file manager.

Android feels like an overly complicated blackberry interface, and honestly it wasn't my cup of tea, and certainly not "revolutionary" or worthy of the tremendous hype.

compared to all the other smart phones out right now like TP2 etc.. all i cna say is AMEN.. im glad i chose the imagio i was looking for registry tweaks and the developers did they're HW so far becuase the battery and some performance tweaks that werent in other models like my old TP(Raphael) are in the imagio already. all arond great phone.. i cant wait for some new roms/unlock to make this phone even more phenominal! :headbang:

rolandroland 11-10-2009 10:34 AM

Yeah, I like the Imagio form factor better as well and am not motivated to switch either right now. If the Eris was the same screen and multimedia capabilities as Imagio and running Android 2 there would have been something to seriously consider with the Sense UI, but I agree, the Android UI is not groundbreaking.
The real showdown will be next year as we all know: WinMo 7 vs Android on a good phone vs next iPhone release. Then I know I'll be looking at everything with a fresh perspective (well for WinMo and Android at least).

cdodge 11-10-2009 11:57 AM

i was just snooping in the droid forum and noticed that there is a new firware coming out already with a long list of bugs being fixed.

Its great that they are fixing them but this is a good example why you dont want to be the first to have a new OS.