PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 03:20 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris (former XV6900 owner)
Carrier: VZW

acdc_rulz is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Waiting to get Imagio until the SPL unlocker is released

I have the option to upgrade to a new Verizon phone as my current XV6900's LCD is f'd. I think I will wait on getting the Imagio until the SPL unlocker is released. From the amount of posts on this forum, just way to many hacks/workarounds needed to get the phone to work like it should. If we could clean up the ROM provided by Verizon with this phone or better - build our own or use one from NFSFan, then I could justify getting this phone.

On the other hand, it seems there are no immediate plans for a SPL release and with a looming Droid release, should I even wait for this? I know and am comfortable with WM6.5 but this phone's ROM seems so junked up that the WM experience is diluted. I just don't want to go through the same issues as I had getting my XV6900 to the "perfect" build. Is it worth it to wait for an SPL unlocker on this phone?
Old 10-27-2009, 10:17 AM
BlackBerry Hater
Pocket PC: All Cdma HTC's
Carrier: $0 VZW Emp Demo

Getitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Re: Waiting to get Imagio until the SPL unlocker is released

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc_rulz View Post
I have the option to upgrade to a new Verizon phone as my current XV6900's LCD is f'd. I think I will wait on getting the Imagio until the SPL unlocker is released. From the amount of posts on this forum, just way to many hacks/workarounds needed to get the phone to work like it should. If we could clean up the ROM provided by Verizon with this phone or better - build our own or use one from NFSFan, then I could justify getting this phone.

On the other hand, it seems there are no immediate plans for a SPL release and with a looming Droid release, should I even wait for this? I know and am comfortable with WM6.5 but this phone's ROM seems so junked up that the WM experience is diluted. I just don't want to go through the same issues as I had getting my XV6900 to the "perfect" build. Is it worth it to wait for an SPL unlocker on this phone?
mod move this it doesnt belong in upgrade forum
Old 10-27-2009, 10:46 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Moved to the general Imagio Forum.

late,
Coz
Old 10-27-2009, 02:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: xv6900

bigboy292000 is becoming a great contributor

Quote:

I don't totally "get" your reasoning.

SPL might happen and then it might not. There were some promising signs but it's not over until it's over.

I don't know that you need to tweak the phone to get it work right - that really depends. I am sure that people that have no clue about this forum or tweaks can run the phone and be happy with it. We mess with this stuff often and running a stock ROM is not cool but eh - not sure how that necessarily makes the phone unusable.

My wife for example is running her xv6900 with stock ROM and is happy. I have flashed mine 5 times at least and I am happy. But I also ran for a year and a half with stock ROM and was happy too, messed with it just for GPS (not a problem with Imagio).

Dunno.
Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

KilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to KilgoreBA

Quote:

If it were me in your situation, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Ever since the first time I held a Windows Mobile device in my hand, I have never went back.

Keep in mind, it may be a loooooooong time before the HSPL comes out, if it even does. Since this phone is only on Verizon and it will probably not be released on other carriers, the demand for the HSPL is not as great.

There are not too many hacks that need to be done to have this running in prime condition. Remember you always have the 30 day trial and if you don't like it, you can always decide to go with the Droid. It's a win win situation.
Radio 2.23.00WV

Last edited by KilgoreBA; 10-30-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 12:07 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Imagio

KnightlyScribe is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to KnightlyScribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreBA View Post
If it were me in your situation, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Ever since the first time I held a Windows Mobile device in my hand for the first time, I have never went back.

Keep in mind, it may be a loooooooong time before the HSPL comes out, if it even does. Since this phone is only on Verizon and it will probably not be released on other carriers, the demand for the HSPL is not as great.

There are not too many hacks that need to be done to have this running in prime condition. Remember you always have the 30 day trial and if you don't like it, you can always decide to go with the Droid. It's a win win situation.
agree totally..well said..
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-29-2009, 03:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:

I agree, I haven't run a stock OS in a very long time and while this is dramatically better than anything before it, and is very usable, it does need tweaked ROMS to speed it up. If I knew for sure (100%) there would be no unlocker I would most likely either go back to a TP2 or more likely try Android. However I'll keep telling myself one day it'll be unlocked and NFSFan will decide to make a ROM for it or they'll be a GUI kitchen I can use like the old days.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Eris (former XV6900 owner)
Threadstarter

acdc_rulz is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboy292000 View Post
I don't totally "get" your reasoning.

SPL might happen and then it might not. There were some promising signs but it's not over until it's over.

I don't know that you need to tweak the phone to get it work right - that really depends. I am sure that people that have no clue about this forum or tweaks can run the phone and be happy with it. We mess with this stuff often and running a stock ROM is not cool but eh - not sure how that necessarily makes the phone unusable.

My wife for example is running her xv6900 with stock ROM and is happy. I have flashed mine 5 times at least and I am happy. But I also ran for a year and a half with stock ROM and was happy too, messed with it just for GPS (not a problem with Imagio).
Dunno.
The reasoning is this - without a SPL and a custom ROM and from what I have seen of the phone on this forum and in the Verizon store, it is not worth it to get this phone and go through the various tweaks. I would rather chip a few bucks to someone like NFSFan to do the custom ROM work or do it myself with a ROM kitchen. In addition, I already went down that path with my XV6900 and it was a long year dealing with that phone's crappy ROM until I finally got a custom ROM I liked - NFSFan's(let alone the GPS issues). Yeah, the display on the Imagio is great and the GPS is already unlocked but the boot-lag and battery problems have me concerned(posted on this forum). As well, the responsiveness (due to the RAM usage in part) already is pretty bad for a relatively good-powered CPU.

I am now in the 30 day period where I could try out the Imagio and Droid so as another poster said, I am in a win-win situation no matter which phone I ultimately decide on and will just try both.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio -- and LOVING IT.

Mahalo is becoming a great contributor

This phone is SO worth getting... VERY simple cabs to increase battery life and it is perfect. Of course, if/when it is unlocked it will be even beyond perfect, but there is no reason not to let yourself enjoy it,

HTC Imagio on Verizon Wireless
Tampa, FL
Old 11-01-2009, 10:15 PM
BlackBerry Hater
Pocket PC: All Cdma HTC's
Carrier: $0 VZW Emp Demo

Getitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributionsGetitnowmarketing should be added to the payroll for their contributions

agree cmonex is working on the hardspl its just a matter of time. Its a great phone to begin with and after I can tweak the sys and oems in a kitchen it will be nothing short of perfect.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio