PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Anyone considering returning? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=93034)

arl16 10-27-2009 11:26 PM

Anyone considering returning?

So I've had my Imagio a couple weeks now. I love the size, the screen, even the keyboard entry, (which I had been nervous about, and was considering the TP2).

BUT... I am frustrated by a few things:

1 - the battery life - I'm pushing it every day, and find myself trying to "conserve" so as not to run out by the end of the day. And if you use GPS - forget it! I wanted to use FreeCaddie - not a chance I'd make it through a round. I know extended batteries are available and/or on the way, but that takes a lot away from my love of the size/look of the phone.

2 - the Ram usage creeping up throughout the day. I did the mods and start the day at 49% - usable. But if I use a couple programs, I'm quickly up to the 90s - and stay in the 70s even if I close them. A huge, noticeable drag in performance makes me want to soft reset to keep my sanity. Just not the user experience I was hoping for.

3 - the fact that VZ is the only one that has it, and therefore it looks like we'll have minimal support from the community, and now I'm reading posts that we may not even get a HardSPL to get custom ROMs. It looked promising after that post in the upgrade section from drellisdee referencing comonex possibly working on it, but that was a week ago, and my 30 days is going to be up soon! Maybe I'm being impatient, but unfortunately I'm running out of time, and need to make a decision.

Do I go back to my VX6900 and wait a hopeful VZ Leo release next year (or something else to follow it?) or do you think we'll be able to tweak this thing to be a little better than stock. Or maybe do the TP2, and deal with the thicker phone - they seem to have less of these complaints, and if I'm forced to get a thicker phone for an extended battery, I might as well get a customizable one!

Sorry for the long post - just brainstorming my thoughts, and curious to hear others'. Thanks!

lafester 10-27-2009 11:37 PM

Re: Anyone considering returning?

My battery is fine so I can't comment there.
Hspl will come and we will be able to fix the memory problems and performance issues.
Sprint will end up getting this phone and then there will be tons of users to help tweak and customize.

you could always come back to the imagio later if you are that worried about it.

canecbr600 10-27-2009 11:59 PM

I'm keeping mine. I have great battery life! Beats every other windows mobile device i have had with standard battery! I always have 30-40% left at the end of the day! Just charge the phone every night!!!!!!!!!

Getitnowmarketing 10-28-2009 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arl16 (Post 1271010)
So I've had my Imagio a couple weeks now. I love the size, the screen, even the keyboard entry, (which I had been nervous about, and was considering the TP2).

BUT... I am frustrated by a few things:

1 - the battery life - I'm pushing it every day, and find myself trying to "conserve" so as not to run out by the end of the day. And if you use GPS - forget it! I wanted to use FreeCaddie - not a chance I'd make it through a round. I know extended batteries are available and/or on the way, but that takes a lot away from my love of the size/look of the phone.

2 - the Ram usage creeping up throughout the day. I did the mods and start the day at 49% - usable. But if I use a couple programs, I'm quickly up to the 90s - and stay in the 70s even if I close them. A huge, noticeable drag in performance makes me want to soft reset to keep my sanity. Just not the user experience I was hoping for.

3 - the fact that VZ is the only one that has it, and therefore it looks like we'll have minimal support from the community, and now I'm reading posts that we may not even get a HardSPL to get custom ROMs. It looked promising after that post in the upgrade section from drellisdee referencing comonex possibly working on it, but that was a week ago, and my 30 days is going to be up soon! Maybe I'm being impatient, but unfortunately I'm running out of time, and need to make a decision.

Do I go back to my VX6900 and wait a hopeful VZ Leo release next year (or something else to follow it?) or do you think we'll be able to tweak this thing to be a little better than stock. Or maybe do the TP2, and deal with the thicker phone - they seem to have less of these complaints, and if I'm forced to get a thicker phone for an extended battery, I might as well get a customizable one!

Sorry for the long post - just brainstorming my thoughts, and curious to hear others'. Thanks!

1). As far as battery life I'm using exchange push email and its hands down the best battery life on a WM phone I've had and I have every cdma htc with the exception of the xv6950.

2). The ram issue mainly is due to gwes.exe memory leak in early wm 6.5 builds. It will be fixed in a future VZW software update and in custom roms with a newer sys. The TP2 doesn't have this issue stock only because its a wm6.1 device.

3). Cmonex is working on a hardspl for Imagio/Whitestone_W. Come on I just posted that thread a week ago today. These things take time and she is one of the few people in the world able to develop hardspl and the only one that really works on Cdma phones. She just finished the TP2 one and hasn't even publically released it yet. Its coming hang in there and be patient. If you would like to help why don't you send her a whitestone hardspl donation? I posted a Cmonex donation link in the hardspl thread.

4). I've been working hard on whitestone kitchen for over a week now and had issues with PPCK not building it properly and have switched to VK. I'll have a kitchen/rom ready to go the moment hardspl is released by cmonex as all I'm doing now is tweaking pkgs and will have manila 2.0, manila 2.1, and manila 2.5 choices in it.

Boss428man 10-28-2009 12:32 AM

I agree with most everyone here. Battery life is great as far as windows mobile goes. When using gps and Google maps it does use more battery but the screen, data, and gps are all running so I would figure it would do a number on any phone. I think that as far as Verizon goes this is a major move for WM, and in the right direction. I think things will only get better as more people get the phone. I've noticed on my wifes Storm that she has recieved 2 rom updates so hopefully Verizon will do the same for us and keep things up to date. In the mean time the guys here and on XDA are working hard to get this phone unlocked. I guess you could return the Imagio but what else would you get thats even close?

neumannk 10-28-2009 06:46 AM

I am keeping mine, unlike the Iphone we can have a spare battery, so far a great phone

JKlu87 10-28-2009 10:19 AM

I'm keeping mine. For one, it is a HUGE upgrade from what I was dealing with before; LG Dare. And two, there is just nothing out there that compares to this phone right now. The only thing would be something containing Snapdragon, but I'm sure that will have more issues than this phone with RAM and battery life

wc3 10-28-2009 11:22 AM

Keeping mine. I'm still enjoying and exploring the capabilities of this phone. The battery life seems to have improved with a few charging cycles and a couple of tweaks. Eventually Seidio will come out with an extended battery that's the same size as the stock one (they already have one for the Touch Pro 2) and I'll get that and keep the stocker as a backup. All in all, still a cool phone and I'll keep it until the HD2 (hopefully) hits our shores.

J-Dro 10-28-2009 11:45 AM

Mine is going back. It's a really nice piece of hardware, and I'm sure that cooked ROM's will come some day soon. But, I'm tired of hard resetting this thing every other day, even with the memory tips incorporated. Goodbye Imagio. Hello Droid.

canecbr600 10-28-2009 01:59 PM

I have never had to hard reset mine at all, and i've had it since released. I choose to soft reset it every few days.