PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Incredible
Carrier: Verizon-Alltel

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
GPS works, My Location does not?? Any ideas? *FIXED*

I've had my Imagio for a few days now, and never have I gotten the My Location on the weather tab to work until today. I realized it was only working with WiFi on. I confirmed this in two more locations today with the weather tab, bing, and Google maps. None of them will be able to locate me, but if I switch WiFi on, suddenly it works.

I figured something wasn't right, so I just did a hard reset, and same thing. Bing is still trying to locate me, weather tab can't do it either.

I really want this to work, and without the WiFi having to be on. Any ideas?

Alltel / Verizon

Last edited by digi; 10-18-2009 at 02:08 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff
Re: GPS works, My Location does not?? Any ideas?

Have you run the QuickGPS app in the Start Menu? Do that once a week and it will help the GPS lock satellites quicker, not to mention I think it activates the Location service which by default is not on.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

digi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good workdigi is keeping up the good work

Yes, I have ran QuickGPS, activated the Location On setting, and allowed the Google Location Service, still nothing.

But Like I said, the GPS does work, just not the cellID location stuff.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:29 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff

Hmm not sure, mine is working though I have seen it struggle at times when only in 1x mode, are you in an area getting Ev-DO? Not sure why else it wouldn't work.
Old 10-18-2009, 12:21 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Yeah, EVDO rev. A with 5 bars...

This doesn't really make any sense, but I wonder if this has something to do with still having my Alltel plan with the Verizon device? I can't find any logical reason that would cause it, especially since the AGPS works, but can anyone else still on an Alltel plan with this device confirm theirs is working? If there is any of you out there.

Anyways, I'm still open for ideas if anyone has them. Thanks.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

I fixed it

It was indeed because I am still an Alltel customer, I saw a screenshot of someones Imagio and noticed the Verizon Wireless banner across the homepage of Manila, and noticed I didn't have that. Checked the PRL and sure enough I was pushed an Alltel PRL, so I just switched to a Verizon PRL, and as soon as it booted it had my location.

I'm so excited :P except now my signal blows

Last edited by digi; 10-18-2009 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:39 PM
N00b

Sellador is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by digi View Post
I fixed it

It was indeed because I am still an Alltel customer, I saw a screenshot of someones Imagio and noticed the Verizon Wireless banner across the homepage of Manila, and noticed I didn't have that. Checked the PRL and sure enough I was pushed an Alltel PRL, so I just switched to a Verizon PRL, and as soon as it booted it had my location.

I'm so excited :P except now my signal blows
I have the same issue and am also an Alltel/Verizon customer. I know what a PRL is, but I don't know how to change it, or what Manila is. Would you please point me in the right direction to figuring that out... a web page or forum, perhaps? Thanks!
Old 10-19-2009, 09:15 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Droid X

Veritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVeritech_910 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellador View Post
I have the same issue and am also an Alltel/Verizon customer. I know what a PRL is, but I don't know how to change it, or what Manila is. Would you please point me in the right direction to figuring that out... a web page or forum, perhaps? Thanks!
Manila is essentially the TouchFLO interface. PRL is Preferred Roaming List (check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_Roaming_List ) and to update it you simply dial *228 on your phone and choose Option 2.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Re: GPS works, My Location does not?? Any ideas? *FIXED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sellador View Post

PRL is the phones Preferred Roaming List, its basically a database of all the towers available for it to use across the country.* Of the list of towers, it also tells the phone which one to use first. For example, Verizon has a tower across town and you have a crappy signal, but your standing right under a brand new tower from ACME telco, your phone won't even connect to the tower unless it is listed in the PRL, and then if it is listed, likely won't connect until your phone can no longer see the Verizon tower across town.*

The PRL is very easy to change, first thing is to download one to your phone.* Here is the one I am using at the link below, I don't think its totally up to date, but it's working okay for me right now, You can use this one or find another.* Once you download it, save it to your phone, doesn't matter where.

http://corolada.com/prl/verizon/51099.prl

Open the dialer and dial ##778 and press se
nd, a screen will pop up, choose edit, and your password will be 000000.* When the page loads, tap view info, choose PRL, tap and hold on the top line that says update PRL then click edit.* Your phone will scan itself for PRL files, choose the Verizon PRL of your choice.*

After all that, click done, your phone will reboot and when it boots back up, right under the clock where it normally says my location, it should now show your weather in the town you are in.* This is called Manila, also known as TouchFLO 3D, they are one in the same.

Anyways, hope this helps, let me know how it goes and if you need anything else.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:58 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritech_910 View Post
Manila is essentially the TouchFLO interface. PRL is Preferred Roaming List (check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preferred_Roaming_List ) and to update it you simply dial *228 on your phone and choose Option 2.

Normally that would work, but not in this case, because it will just send us the same PRL we already have, which is an Alltel PRL, and apparently does not have the same information in it toallow the device to determine our location.

I am still excited about getting this working, even google lattitude works in the background now to update my location without the program actually running.

Oh and an extra bonus, if you happen to like Palringo, which hasn't worked with alltel in quite some time, actually does work now.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio