PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2009, 11:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Verizon

KilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to KilgoreBA
Is the Imagio like a mirrored Touch Pro 2?

I have been thinking of getting an Imagio for my wife, as she enjoys my Touch Pro 2, but likes the slimness of the Imagio.

I was just wondering, every video I have seen of the Imagio, the device just seems to be like a mirrored Touch Pro 2. The Volume buttons are on the right of the screen instead of the left, the Stylus is on the left, the headphone jack and 3.5 headphone jack are reversed, etc.

My question is, anybody that used a Touch Pro 2 and switched to an Imagio, was it hard to get used to these changes?
Radio 2.23.00WV
Old 10-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

jborbj is keeping up the good workjborbj is keeping up the good work
Re: Is the Imagio like a mirrored Touch Pro 2?

Kilgore,

I had the TP2 for about a month and switched to the Imagio just last week. The difference for me has been mainly in the software. While the TP2 has the keyboard, if you didn't want to use it, you could rotate the phone and use the on-screen keyboard, which kinda defeated the purpose of having a hardware keyboard, but was pretty cool anyway.

However, this is just one instance where the Imagio falls short. Since there's no keyboard, you'd think you could rotate the device and it would provide a full screen qwerty, but on most screens (like 80%) you get no screen rotation at all, which is very frustrating. I found that, while it has the newer WM 6.5, it has an older version of TF3D, which doesn't support as many rotation screens as the version on the TP2.

Physically, the Imagio feels way better in the pocket, and is much lighter, but there are a few things I really miss from the TP2. I really like the stylus on the right as I'm right handed and could use my free hand to take it out. I also loved the screen on/off button on the top left, nowhere on the Imagio. Visually, the back of the TP2 was way cooler, has a light for the speaker phone, and was way easier to take the cover off should you need to reset the device. Not so on the Imagio.

Hope this helps with you're decision making, I'm kinda thinking of switching back WM 6.1 and all (6.5 really has nothing new), but the sheer physical size has kept me at bay. I'll get used to the slimmer, lighter Imagio.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:24 AM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborbj View Post
Kilgore,

I had the TP2 for about a month and switched to the Imagio just last week. The difference for me has been mainly in the software. While the TP2 has the keyboard, if you didn't want to use it, you could rotate the phone and use the on-screen keyboard, which kinda defeated the purpose of having a hardware keyboard, but was pretty cool anyway.

However, this is just one instance where the Imagio falls short. Since there's no keyboard, you'd think you could rotate the device and it would provide a full screen qwerty, but on most screens (like 80%) you get no screen rotation at all, which is very frustrating. I found that, while it has the newer WM 6.5, it has an older version of TF3D, which doesn't support as many rotation screens as the version on the TP2.

Physically, the Imagio feels way better in the pocket, and is much lighter, but there are a few things I really miss from the TP2. I really like the stylus on the right as I'm right handed and could use my free hand to take it out. I also loved the screen on/off button on the top left, nowhere on the Imagio. Visually, the back of the TP2 was way cooler, has a light for the speaker phone, and was way easier to take the cover off should you need to reset the device. Not so on the Imagio.

Hope this helps with you're decision making, I'm kinda thinking of switching back WM 6.1 and all (6.5 really has nothing new), but the sheer physical size has kept me at bay. I'll get used to the slimmer, lighter Imagio.
Thank you for that post. Those are all very important aspects to consider and I am glad you took the time to post them. I got the TP2 but had one hell of a time deciding between the TP2 or the Imagio. Its nice to know what to expect should I decide to swap within my 30 days
Old 10-18-2009, 10:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

KilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regularKilgoreBA is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jborbj View Post
Kilgore,

I really appreciate your input jborbj. Thanks for taking the time to write out your well thought out post. I think I have decided to get my wife a Touch Pro 2. We talked it over, and she thinks the physical keyboard is worth the extra heft. I really wanted to play around with the VCast Musc and TV though. Oh well...
Old 10-18-2009, 12:13 PM
Lurker

jborbj is keeping up the good workjborbj is keeping up the good work

No prob. Glad I could be of help. I wouldn't worry about the VCast Music or the Mobile TV thing; fun to play with, but get's old real quick. The only other thing to consider is the 5MP cam, but really, I see no huge difference between that and the 3.2MP on the TP2.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Q9M > HTC Vouge > HTC Imagio > Droid X2

coolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

the physical keyboard, difference in the camera, and the there's a difference in the speakerphone, the TP2 has a stronger speakerphone. The Imagio has a FM tuner as well and is ready for the TV service. Outside of that memory wise and processor wise they are the same phone. Check out comparison at PDA DB.
Old 10-18-2009, 03:50 PM
VIP Member

deadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuffdeadwrong03 knows their stuff
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to deadwrong03 Send a message via MSN to deadwrong03 Send a message via Yahoo to deadwrong03 Send a message via Skype™ to deadwrong03

its basically the same phone except the imagio has a slightly newer touch flo (weather on home screen in the clock) slight differences wit windows 6.5, and fm radio, mobile tv vcast

other than that the 2 are nearly identical but i've found the tp2 has better battery life. I have the touch pro 2 and my gf has the imagio
Old 10-18-2009, 04:03 PM
.:DoWorkSon:.
Pocket PC: .:OD:.Incredible:.DroidX:.iPhone4:.ThunderBolt:.

GrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIPGrandMasterB is a VIP
Send a message via MSN to GrandMasterB

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadwrong03 View Post
its basically the same phone except the imagio has a slightly newer touch flo (weather on home screen in the clock) slight differences wit windows 6.5, and fm radio, mobile tv vcast

other than that the 2 are nearly identical but i've found the tp2 has better battery life. I have the touch pro 2 and my gf has the imagio
I thought the same thing to but after being told differently by a reputable ROM builder and subsequently emailing HTC I was told differently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTC
Hello ,
Thank you for your inquiry about purchasing an HTC device. I understand the importance of knowing the most out of a device before making a purchase. I will be more than happy to address this for you. You are correct in the fact that the two phones run different version of Windows Mobile. In regards to the build number for the TouchFlo3D interface; The HTC Imagio has version 2.0.38937.1 and the HTC Touch Pro2 has version 2.1.38420.2.

I hope I have answered your questions in detail. Feel free to contact us again if your have any further technical inquiries. We will be more than happy to help you. Thank you for contacting HTC Technical Support.

Jeffery
HTC Technical Support (USA)
www.htc.com/us
www.htcwiki.com
https://survey.htc.com/worldwide
Old 10-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

My guess is we got stuck with an older version of tf3d because of wm6.5 and the new verizon apps eating up memory.

Perhaps memory was just too low to go with a full landscape/portrait tf3d with the locate me weather/clock.
Old 10-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks for all the input guys. I'm pretty jealous about the FM Radio. I wonder why Verizon decided to not gimp this feature on the Imagio like they did the TP2? Perhaps because the Imagio is more of an entertainment device and the TP2 is more of a business device with the Straight Talk Speakerphone and QWERTY keyboard.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio