PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 06:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

mlevin77 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How much of a difference will new ROMs make? Did Verizon cripple it?

I'm debating whether to buy the Imagio (Verizon) now, or keep waiting for the Omnia II. On my XV6700, which I have now, the new ROMs made a huge difference. So, if that will be the case here, I'll just wait until some of the custom ROMs/kitchens are posted. But if people think it's pretty much fine as-is, then I can get it now and start putting data/apps on it. So, what's the verdict: did Verizon remove features/add useless stuff so that the new ROMs will make a lot of difference, or is it basically as good as it's going to get out of the box, so there's no real need to reflash a custom ROM?

thank you!

Mike
Old 10-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Mobileunderground.info
Pocket PC: HD2
Carrier: T-Mobile

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx
Re: How much of a difference will new ROMs make? Did Verizon cripple it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
I'm debating whether to buy the Imagio (Verizon) now, or keep waiting for the Omnia II. On my XV6700, which I have now, the new ROMs made a huge difference. So, if that will be the case here, I'll just wait until some of the custom ROMs/kitchens are posted. But if people think it's pretty much fine as-is, then I can get it now and start putting data/apps on it. So, what's the verdict: did Verizon remove features/add useless stuff so that the new ROMs will make a lot of difference, or is it basically as good as it's going to get out of the box, so there's no real need to reflash a custom ROM?

thank you!

Mike
I always enjoy custom roms, they will improve all aspects of the phone, newer wm builds, newer oem apps, less carrier bloatware, faster in general. I think custom roms will always make a difference. Right now it looks like verizon will be getting a smartphone called the leo aka HD2, and from what ive heard could be released next month. If this is the case i would sell my pro2 in a heartbeat. If you need a phone now, the imagio seems to be a very good device. I have the vzw pro2 and stock rom is blazing compared to the apache of course, and much faster and smoother than the pro and diamond stock roms.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

> custom roms will always make a difference.

what is your experience with the Imagio - how much room for improvement is there - did Verizon cripple stuff (e.g., can you use any GPS software you want, etc.)? And, approximately how long do you think before a newbie-friendly (i.e., no heavy hacking required, simple instructions available) ROM/kitchen shows up? I loved the job the chefs did on the Apache kitchen - great ROMs, relatively foolproof instructions, etc. For Omnia I though, I see ROMs on the forums but the instructions seem to require a lot of knowledge. I don't want a brick and I'm not a WM expert... What's your prediction for the Imagio on this?

> Right now it looks like verizon will be getting a smartphone called the leo aka HD2, and
> from what ive heard could be released next month.

do you really think so? I've been waiting on the "almost here" Omnia II for a couple of months now, and still no word from Verizon on an actual availability date. I don't really trust them to roll out the good phones in a reasonable or predictable timeframe. I could wait if I knew precisely the date I was waiting for, but the way things are, I don't know... I'm thinking to get the Imagio and trade it in (30 days, right?) if Omnia II or Leo actually show up.

thanks,

Mike
Old 10-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Mobileunderground.info

bikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the communitybikeandestroyx is a trusted member of the community
Send a message via AIM to bikeandestroyx Send a message via MSN to bikeandestroyx

Quote:
> custom roms will always make a difference.

what is your experience with the Imagio - how much room for improvement is there - did Verizon cripple stuff (e.g., can you use any GPS software you want, etc.)? And, approximately how long do you think before a newbie-friendly (i.e., no heavy hacking required, simple instructions available) ROM/kitchen shows up? I loved the job the chefs did on the Apache kitchen - great ROMs, relatively foolproof instructions, etc. For Omnia I though, I see ROMs on the forums but the instructions seem to require a lot of knowledge. I don't want a brick and I'm not a WM expert... What's your prediction for the Imagio on this?

> Right now it looks like verizon will be getting a smartphone called the leo aka HD2, and
> from what ive heard could be released next month.

do you really think so? I've been waiting on the "almost here" Omnia II for a couple of months now, and still no word from Verizon on an actual availability date. I don't really trust them to roll out the good phones in a reasonable or predictable timeframe. I could wait if I knew precisely the date I was waiting for, but the way things are, I don't know... I'm thinking to get the Imagio and trade it in (30 days, right?) if Omnia II or Leo actually show up.

thanks,

Mike
I havent used the imagio yet, just looked through the rom dump, and official rom. They haven't crippled anything on it, same with the tp2.
Out of curiosity, do you have insurance on the 6700? If so you could get a pro 2 right now or an imagio if it breaks.

The omnia2 wont have a very user friendly kitchen for a while, if ever. It will also take longer for custom roms to show up i'm guessing, since there isnt nearly as big of a scene for the omnia/2 as HTC phones. I have an omnia, and flashing is a lot different from htc phones, while its not hard, theres a few more steps to do it, im not sure how easy it is to brick an omnia flashing custom roms, but i know with HTC its almost impossible to do so. The imagio also needs to be "unlocked" to flash custom roms, which means you need to wait for cmonex or whoever is going to patch it, to create the HardSPL that allows custom, unsigned roms to be flashed.

Well theres good evidence on the leo hands on video, in contacts there are a few numbers included stock on verizon phones, and also a number for Verizon Wireless Accessories. I have heard from a buddy of mine the leo will be released near the end of november, and this would be a device to wait for since it is upgradable to wm7! You are right, once you get the imagio or any other phone, you have 30 days to return it, as long as nothing is broken, and the phone is in very good condition, so make sure not to drop it!

Verizon is really stepping its game up with smartphones, they are releasing them around the same as other carriers now, they even have the imagio which is a verizon exclusive. They should be getting the palm pre in the next two months, and ive heard of the possibilities of an apple device that could hit around january-february, from a source of mine.

Last edited by bikeandestroyx; 10-10-2009 at 06:36 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-10-2009, 06:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

> do you have insurance on the 6700? If so you could get a pro 2 right now or
> an imagio if it breaks.

yes, I've got insurance! So if my phone broke, and I called Verizon and activated the insurance, they'd send me a free imagio?? What happens to the $100 (or is it $50?) "credit" I have for having a very old phone? Will they want me to send the broken one back to them?

> The omnia2 wont have a very user friendly kitchen for a while, if ever. It will also take
> longer for custom roms to show up i'm guessing, since there isnt nearly as big of a

do you think Omnia 2 stock ROM will be significantly better than Imagio w/ eventual custom ROMs? about the only difference I can see is battery life, right?

Mike
Old 10-10-2009, 07:02 AM
Mobileunderground.info

Quote:
> do you have insurance on the 6700? If so you could get a pro 2 right now or
> an imagio if it breaks.

yes, I've got insurance! So if my phone broke, and I called Verizon and activated the insurance, they'd send me a free imagio?? What happens to the $100 (or is it $50?) "credit" I have for having a very old phone? Will they want me to send the broken one back to them?

> The omnia2 wont have a very user friendly kitchen for a while, if ever. It will also take
> longer for custom roms to show up i'm guessing, since there isnt nearly as big of a

do you think Omnia 2 stock ROM will be significantly better than Imagio w/ eventual custom ROMs? about the only difference I can see is battery life, right?

Mike
When you say you have insurance, you pay the $5 or so a month correct? If you do, then they will send you a new phone, since the dont have any apache's left, they will most likely try to send you a touch pro or diamond, tell then you would like to see if there are any other options for phones, and ask to speak to a tier 2 tech, they will most likely be able to help you out. If all they can do is send you a touch pro, take it and sell it! The phone you get in exchange for your apache will be a brand new phone with everything included.

I dont know, its hard to say. From the videos ive seen of the omnia 2, the stock rom was good, but lagged a little bit. Also the omnia 2 is said to come with wm 6.1 with a 6.5 update in the "future". Custom roms will speed up the phone, make it look prettier haha, keep you up with the latest builds of 6.5, and much more, along with increase battery life [in most cases] The HTC devices will also have much more support and most likely a very simple kitchen that anyone can use.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZ Imagio, vx6900

arl16 is becoming a great contributor

Do you guys really think VZ is going to get the Leo this year? I've been reading 2010 at the earliest (if ever). I just got the Imagio this week, but if there's evidence the Leo is only a month or two away, I'll return it and wait!
Old 10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Omnia i910

blazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIPblazingwolf is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by arl16 View Post
Do you guys really think VZ is going to get the Leo this year? I've been reading 2010 at the earliest (if ever). I just got the Imagio this week, but if there's evidence the Leo is only a month or two away, I'll return it and wait!
The 2010 comment came from an HTC rep. So I would believe this over almost almost any other comment made. All November time frame comments I have seen have been for European carriers.

Follow me on mytabletlife.com
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

braindoc is keeping up the good workbraindoc is keeping up the good work

I've got my Imagio last Thursday. While there is the typical bloatware on it, it doesn't appear that Verizon crippled the device at all; e.g. aGPS works with 3rd party software like GoogleMaps without having VZ Navigator activated. I had an Omnia and was also waiting for the Omnia II but I really wanted global capabilities, and the the Omnia II will be offered with winmo 6.1 not 6.5. Having waited, for what seemed forever, for Verizon and Samsung to offer an upgrade for the original Omnia, I didn't want to wait for a similar upgrade to the Omnia II. As for the Leo, even if it is released sometime this year I wouldn't count on Verizon getting it anytime soon. I would have to agree with others on this forum that a 2010 release is much more probable.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindoc View Post
aGPS works with 3rd party software like GoogleMaps without having VZ Navigator activated.
sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's aGPS? Is it real actual GPS or does it require the network, or try to get my position from cell phone towers and registered wifi hotspots and such?

Mike

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio