PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   give back that TP2 for an Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89514)

rolandroland 10-08-2009 02:19 PM

give back that TP2 for an Imagio

I just got my Imagio and I am so glad I have it back. One HUGE caveat, if you need the keyboard then obviously TP2 is for you. While I like the soft keyboard and it works well for me, I'm it won't cut it for everyone. Otherwise this feels like a phone in my hand instead of a brick and has all the same features and better camera. Very happy I traded mine in. :)

I am wondering how others who swapped theirs feels?

Reef48 10-08-2009 02:44 PM

Re: give back that TP2 for an Imagio

I did the same thing. The TP2 is like a brick. I had the Diamond and tried the TP2 but I have never had a need for a keyboard. I love the Imagio. Best WM phone yet in my opinoin.

syntrix 10-08-2009 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolandroland (Post 1223124)
I just got my Imagio and I am so glad I have it back. One HUGE caveat, if you need the keyboard then obviously TP2 is for you. While I like the soft keyboard and it works well for me, I'm it won't cut it for everyone. Otherwise this feels like a phone in my hand instead of a brick and has all the same features and better camera. Very happy I traded mine in. :)

I am wondering how others who swapped theirs feels?

I just ordered a pure from ATT, my VZ TP2 will be sent back tomorrow.

TP2 is an awesome phone, it's just a little too bulky to carry around.

spetrillo 10-08-2009 03:14 PM

I have had my TP2 for 3 weeks, and while I love it I realized I really dont use the hw keyboard that much. So in thinking about this I decided to return the TP2 and order my Imagio! It will be at my home tomorrow.

I am very much looking forward to this, as I love the TF3D interface. Its quite smooth, and the addition of the FM radio(RDS) will only enhance my GPS use.

Steve

dshay 10-08-2009 08:08 PM

How's the speakerphone? That's one thing I'm worried about in the trade I'm contemplating at the moment. Any issues with the relative build quality compared to the TP2? In the TP2 forum someone else who had traded felt it was relatively less well built.

rolandroland 10-08-2009 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dshay (Post 1223925)
How's the speakerphone? That's one thing I'm worried about in the trade I'm contemplating at the moment. Any issues with the relative build quality compared to the TP2? In the TP2 forum someone else who had traded felt it was relatively less well built.

I thought it was just as good, if anything the reduction of weight may make it seem less sturdy, especially without the metal-ish back, but it is very solid and more comfortable to use.

I found the speaker phone to sound the same as the TP2.

kwatcha 10-08-2009 11:44 PM

As the Commodores hit song from the 70's said.....she's a brick house and she is mighty mighty (TP2)

NevadaXJ 10-08-2009 11:51 PM

I actually ordered an Imagio because I could not find a TP2 in stock anywhere. I figure I'll try the Imagio, and worse comes to worse I can trade it in for the TP2 if I absolutely need the keyboard.

I wanted the TP2 because I miss the keyboard from my 6800....

the7thson 10-09-2009 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwatcha (Post 1224324)
As the Commodores hit song from the 70's said.....she's a brick house and she is mighty mighty (TP2)

I loled at this :mrgreen:

I just tried the TP2 for the first time, holy crap it's ginormous!!!!

The Imagio seems awesome, perfect for my needs. I'm gonna switch from Sprint to VZW for a bit and get the Imagio for sure. Then whoever gets the HD2 will have me as a subscriber for a while :) Unless of course it's ATT, I wouldn't do that to myself even for an HD2.

cgwaters 10-09-2009 05:35 PM

I've had my VZW TP2 for almost four weeks but am considering trading it in (within VZW's 30 day return window) for the Imagio. Here's why:

1. The TP2 is a bit thick and heavy for my tastes. According to VZW's website, the TP2 is 4.57" (H) x 2.33" (W) x 0.68" (D) and weighs 6.35 ounces...and the Imagio is 4.65" (H) x 2.43" (W) x 0.55" (D) and weighs 5.2 ounces. So the Imagio weighs less, is slightly wider and higher, and is thinner (because it lacks a physical keyboard).

2. Like an earlier poster, I came from the XV6800 and thought I would be *lost* without a physical keyboard. I had been someone who was firmly convinced that I needed a physical keyboard; however, I've used the TP2's physical keyboard only a handful of times over the last four weeks--the virtual keyboard is *that* good, especially compared to the XV6800. I've written many emails and text messages using just the virtual keyboard. Of course, I haven't written any lengthy notes yet, but I'm not sure having the physical keyboard is worth the extra thickness and weight for its occasional use.

3. The TP2 comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 and the Imagio comes with WM 6.5. An upgrade to WM 6.5 for the TP2 is surely forthcoming, but when? In my experience, WM upgrades never seem as good as having the phone come with with the OS. Of course, the TP2 is so new that perhaps it won't make a difference.

4. The TP2 comes with a 3.2 megapixel camera and the Imagio comes with a 5 megapixel camera--not that either device takes that great of a picture.

Anyway, can anyone else who has tried both devices comment? Are there any other noteworthy differences?

BTW, I upgraded from the XV6800 to the TP2 using VZW's 'new every two' program and ended up paying only $99 for the TP2. Will VZW sock me for swapping phones?

nrgetik 10-12-2009 11:55 AM

BTW, I upgraded from the XV6800 to the TP2 using VZW's 'new every two' program and ended up paying only $99 for the TP2. Will VZW sock me for swapping phones?[/QUOTE]

I had the TP2 for a couple of weeks before trading it in for the Imagio. I don't miss the physical keyboard one bit! I had used my NE2 on the TP2 also. If you return it, VZW will give you FULL credit back, including your NE2 discount. The guy at the counter told me it's better to RETURN (not exchange) the device at the store so they can credit your account. Then order your new device on-line. Supposedly this is the way to get around VZW charging you the $35 dollar restocking fee. Thats what I did. I returned my TP2, then ordered the Imagio online a couple of day later on the day of it's release. I did not get charged the restocking fee. The Imagio wins in my book, hands down.

rolandroland 10-12-2009 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgwaters (Post 1226031)
I've had my VZW TP2 for almost four weeks but am considering trading it in (within VZW's 30 day return window) for the Imagio. Here's why:

1. The TP2 is a bit thick and heavy for my tastes. According to VZW's website, the TP2 is 4.57" (H) x 2.33" (W) x 0.68" (D) and weighs 6.35 ounces...and the Imagio is 4.65" (H) x 2.43" (W) x 0.55" (D) and weighs 5.2 ounces. So the Imagio weighs less, is slightly wider and higher, and is thinner (because it lacks a physical keyboard).

2. Like an earlier poster, I came from the XV6800 and thought I would be *lost* without a physical keyboard. I had been someone who was firmly convinced that I needed a physical keyboard; however, I've used the TP2's physical keyboard only a handful of times over the last four weeks--the virtual keyboard is *that* good, especially compared to the XV6800. I've written many emails and text messages using just the virtual keyboard. Of course, I haven't written any lengthy notes yet, but I'm not sure having the physical keyboard is worth the extra thickness and weight for its occasional use.

3. The TP2 comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 and the Imagio comes with WM 6.5. An upgrade to WM 6.5 for the TP2 is surely forthcoming, but when? In my experience, WM upgrades never seem as good as having the phone come with with the OS. Of course, the TP2 is so new that perhaps it won't make a difference.

4. The TP2 comes with a 3.2 megapixel camera and the Imagio comes with a 5 megapixel camera--not that either device takes that great of a picture.

Anyway, can anyone else who has tried both devices comment? Are there any other noteworthy differences?

BTW, I upgraded from the XV6800 to the TP2 using VZW's 'new every two' program and ended up paying only $99 for the TP2. Will VZW sock me for swapping phones?

After the buzz of a new phone wearing off I figured I would respond.

1) Regardless of the specs, the Imagio feels like a phone/pda, the TP2 feels like a "device".

2) you'll get used to not having it

3) With large amount of RAM usage on the Imagio without running push internet it makes me wonder if they are going to be able to get 6.5 on the TP2 without disabling push internet in the 6.5 update or clean up their app mem usage. Makes my earlier thoughts of a quick upgrade in doubt.

4) The pictures are better, especially in "normal" light. In dim light it sucks just like the TP2. However you do notice a difference in the extra 2 MP's you would expect. More so when you look at them on the PC than on the phone itself.

I also like having the extra assignable button the on the front so I have a camera button again, very annoying to have to open the camera through the interface.

I did miss having a separate button for shutting off the screen and shutting the phone off. However after I figured out if you lock the screen and throw it in your pocket the screen shuts off quickly. So once you get used to putting it your pocket with the screen on this annoyance goes away.

racedog 10-12-2009 12:35 PM

I had the tp2 for almost three weeks. Loved the phone but hated the size. Thought I would try it anyway but found that I really didn't use the keyboard. So, I ended up returning the tp2 and bought the Imagio, sight unseen, and hoped for the best.

I found that I really like the size of the Imagio and it does most things well. Not a perfect device but the size is perfect for me and it does do the things I need it to do well.

R

cgwaters 10-12-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolandroland (Post 1231776)
After the buzz of a new phone wearing off I figured I would respond.

3) With large amount of RAM usage on the Imagio without running push internet it makes me wonder if they are going to be able to get 6.5 on the TP2 without disabling push internet in the 6.5 update or clean up their app mem usage. Makes my earlier thoughts of a quick upgrade in doubt.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Roland, pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that the Imagio doesn't come with push Internet? I rely upon that feature and it works well on the TP2.

rolandroland 10-12-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgwaters (Post 1231871)
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Roland, pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that the Imagio doesn't come with push Internet? I rely upon that feature and it works well on the TP2.

The Imagio does not have Push Internet, nor is Opera held open (you don't need registry fix to properly close it). If push internet is something you need you may be without it until the phone is unlocked and someone can get it on there. Or just stick with the TP2.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any options for Push Internet on the phone or mention of it by HTC or Verizon for this phone.

daroga 10-12-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolandroland (Post 1232077)
The Imagio does not have Push Internet, nor is Opera held open (you don't need registry fix to properly close it). If push internet is something you need you may be without it until the phone is unlocked and someone can get it on there. Or just stick with the TP2.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any options for Push Internet on the phone or mention of it by HTC or Verizon for this phone.

I'm not entirely sure I have my definitions in line, but I'm pretty sure the bookmarks for Opera in the Browser tab on the TouchFlo are all push. There's also push for email and such via exchange.

I disabled both the internet and email push to save memory and battery life, but I'm pretty sure they're both there.