PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2009, 11:55 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Motorola DROID
Carrier: Verizon

nrgetik is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: give back that TP2 for an Imagio

BTW, I upgraded from the XV6800 to the TP2 using VZW's 'new every two' program and ended up paying only $99 for the TP2. Will VZW sock me for swapping phones?[/QUOTE]

I had the TP2 for a couple of weeks before trading it in for the Imagio. I don't miss the physical keyboard one bit! I had used my NE2 on the TP2 also. If you return it, VZW will give you FULL credit back, including your NE2 discount. The guy at the counter told me it's better to RETURN (not exchange) the device at the store so they can credit your account. Then order your new device on-line. Supposedly this is the way to get around VZW charging you the $35 dollar restocking fee. Thats what I did. I returned my TP2, then ordered the Imagio online a couple of day later on the day of it's release. I did not get charged the restocking fee. The Imagio wins in my book, hands down.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Droid X
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwaters View Post
I've had my VZW TP2 for almost four weeks but am considering trading it in (within VZW's 30 day return window) for the Imagio. Here's why:

1. The TP2 is a bit thick and heavy for my tastes. According to VZW's website, the TP2 is 4.57" (H) x 2.33" (W) x 0.68" (D) and weighs 6.35 ounces...and the Imagio is 4.65" (H) x 2.43" (W) x 0.55" (D) and weighs 5.2 ounces. So the Imagio weighs less, is slightly wider and higher, and is thinner (because it lacks a physical keyboard).

2. Like an earlier poster, I came from the XV6800 and thought I would be *lost* without a physical keyboard. I had been someone who was firmly convinced that I needed a physical keyboard; however, I've used the TP2's physical keyboard only a handful of times over the last four weeks--the virtual keyboard is *that* good, especially compared to the XV6800. I've written many emails and text messages using just the virtual keyboard. Of course, I haven't written any lengthy notes yet, but I'm not sure having the physical keyboard is worth the extra thickness and weight for its occasional use.

3. The TP2 comes with Windows Mobile 6.1 and the Imagio comes with WM 6.5. An upgrade to WM 6.5 for the TP2 is surely forthcoming, but when? In my experience, WM upgrades never seem as good as having the phone come with with the OS. Of course, the TP2 is so new that perhaps it won't make a difference.

4. The TP2 comes with a 3.2 megapixel camera and the Imagio comes with a 5 megapixel camera--not that either device takes that great of a picture.

Anyway, can anyone else who has tried both devices comment? Are there any other noteworthy differences?

BTW, I upgraded from the XV6800 to the TP2 using VZW's 'new every two' program and ended up paying only $99 for the TP2. Will VZW sock me for swapping phones?
After the buzz of a new phone wearing off I figured I would respond.

1) Regardless of the specs, the Imagio feels like a phone/pda, the TP2 feels like a "device".

2) you'll get used to not having it

3) With large amount of RAM usage on the Imagio without running push internet it makes me wonder if they are going to be able to get 6.5 on the TP2 without disabling push internet in the 6.5 update or clean up their app mem usage. Makes my earlier thoughts of a quick upgrade in doubt.

4) The pictures are better, especially in "normal" light. In dim light it sucks just like the TP2. However you do notice a difference in the extra 2 MP's you would expect. More so when you look at them on the PC than on the phone itself.

I also like having the extra assignable button the on the front so I have a camera button again, very annoying to have to open the camera through the interface.

I did miss having a separate button for shutting off the screen and shutting the phone off. However after I figured out if you lock the screen and throw it in your pocket the screen shuts off quickly. So once you get used to putting it your pocket with the screen on this annoyance goes away.
Old 10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

racedog is keeping up the good workracedog is keeping up the good work

I had the tp2 for almost three weeks. Loved the phone but hated the size. Thought I would try it anyway but found that I really didn't use the keyboard. So, I ended up returning the tp2 and bought the Imagio, sight unseen, and hoped for the best.

I found that I really like the size of the Imagio and it does most things well. Not a perfect device but the size is perfect for me and it does do the things I need it to do well.

R
Old 10-12-2009, 01:18 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2

cgwaters is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
After the buzz of a new phone wearing off I figured I would respond.

3) With large amount of RAM usage on the Imagio without running push internet it makes me wonder if they are going to be able to get 6.5 on the TP2 without disabling push internet in the 6.5 update or clean up their app mem usage. Makes my earlier thoughts of a quick upgrade in doubt.
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Roland, pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that the Imagio doesn't come with push Internet? I rely upon that feature and it works well on the TP2.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

rolandroland is keeping up the good workrolandroland is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwaters View Post
Thanks for the comments, everyone!

Roland, pardon my ignorance, but are you saying that the Imagio doesn't come with push Internet? I rely upon that feature and it works well on the TP2.
The Imagio does not have Push Internet, nor is Opera held open (you don't need registry fix to properly close it). If push internet is something you need you may be without it until the phone is unlocked and someone can get it on there. Or just stick with the TP2.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any options for Push Internet on the phone or mention of it by HTC or Verizon for this phone.
Old 10-12-2009, 02:52 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

daroga is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandroland View Post
The Imagio does not have Push Internet, nor is Opera held open (you don't need registry fix to properly close it). If push internet is something you need you may be without it until the phone is unlocked and someone can get it on there. Or just stick with the TP2.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I do not see any options for Push Internet on the phone or mention of it by HTC or Verizon for this phone.
I'm not entirely sure I have my definitions in line, but I'm pretty sure the bookmarks for Opera in the Browser tab on the TouchFlo are all push. There's also push for email and such via exchange.

I disabled both the internet and email push to save memory and battery life, but I'm pretty sure they're both there.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio