PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   HTC Imagio flashing question (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=142975)

Marine01 04-21-2011 05:28 PM

HTC Imagio flashing question

I have a question regarding the HTC Imagio on Verizon. I used to use it as my main phone, but times have changed and it's just started to collect dust. I'm thinking of using it as a PDA-like device, since I already have a dumbphone.

I thought ROM flashing would be a good way to increase the performance and reliability of the device, as well as get rid of some of the crap Verizon put on there. There's only one problem: on many of these flashing programs, I read that you need the radios active. The device no longer receives service from Verizon, and its only way to talk to the world is through wi-fi. It's basically an iPod Touch running Windows Mobile.

My question is this: will this lack of subscription to Verizon's services keep me from flashing custom ROMs? It'd be nice to do, but I don't want to trash the thing, even if it is going on two years old and just sitting around.

bawaji 04-21-2011 09:56 PM

Re: HTC Imagio flashing question

I believe it should be no different than running the device with the phone switched off. I have always had the phone service when running the device but doubt if the lack of service would trash the phone. If it did, I would expect it to trash the phone for the stock ROM too.

Marine01 04-22-2011 12:12 AM

So, running it sans network connection would be okay... how about the actual act of flashing it/unlocking it?

EDIT:

Basically, after re-reading the SPL unlocker thing, here's what I've gathered:

1. You need to sync your device with your computer through Microsoft's utilities. Can be done, no problem.
2. You need the phone to be turned on, no airplane mode. Would it be ok if I had the phone on with no service from Verizon? Does it actually need to dial in to something or does it just need to be on?
3. You need to be connected to the internet. This is the big question for me. Since it's no longer attached to Verizon's 3G network, it connects to the internet solely through Wifi. Is this adequate?

Feel free to add in any other tidbits you guys think I should know. It'd be easier to do if it were still on Verizon, but it's not, so I wanted to see if any of you guys had done this on devices that were sans service.

Anderz72 04-22-2011 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marine01 (Post 2088843)
So, running it sans network connection would be okay... how about the actual act of flashing it/unlocking it?

EDIT:

Basically, after re-reading the SPL unlocker thing, here's what I've gathered:

1. You need to sync your device with your computer through Microsoft's utilities. Can be done, no problem.
2. You need the phone to be turned on, no airplane mode. Would it be ok if I had the phone on with no service from Verizon? Does it actually need to dial in to something or does it just need to be on?
3. You need to be connected to the internet. This is the big question for me. Since it's no longer attached to Verizon's 3G network, it connects to the internet solely through Wifi. Is this adequate?

Feel free to add in any other tidbits you guys think I should know. It'd be easier to do if it were still on Verizon, but it's not, so I wanted to see if any of you guys had done this on devices that were sans service.

I believe you need service to the phone to do the unlock (depending which method you use to unlock). I'm not positive since I have had service on the Imagios I unlocked, but that's what I've gathered. If No Airplane Mode is a requirement, that's most likely why.

The internet connection, I would think shouldn't matter if it's data from your carrier or via WiFi. I believe the internet connection you really need is on the computer you're running the unlock from.

One other thing you might think about...I've read about people before temporarily "moving" service to a device. This probably depends greatly on what current plan you are using (and if you're still on Verizon, obviously). You could turn the phone on with your current account, get it unlocked, and then "transfer" your service back to your everyday phone.

Not quite sure how to proceed in your specific case, hope I could help a little bit though. Good luck.

cmonex 04-24-2011 08:45 PM

you don't need service, just have the radio turned on.

you don't need internet on the phone, just on the PC.