PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2011, 01:04 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

simonob3 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Eligible for an upgrade and...

I am at a crossroad and I wasn't really sure where to post this and you guys have helped me with everything else so i figured i would post here, please move if you see fit.

I am ready for my upgrade and not sure which way to go. I have always had windows mobile (dating back to 5.0). I am on Verizon and not looking to switch carriers. I am torn between trying WP7 or conforming and getting a droid or iphone.

Things i love about the current OS:
- Ease of unlocking and flashing roms
- Internet Tethering
- USB Storage and File Explorer
- Copy/Paste
- Feels like I can do anything
- Allows overclocking
- Downloading CABS from the internet
- Rarely locks up on me (not sure why you guys have complaints about the ram issue, lol)
- Multitasking/task manager

What i like about the Imagio:
- Customizable 6.5 default screen
- Syncs my 5 email accounts without a problem
- Multiple options for web browsing (Opera, PIE, Uzard, ect.)
- Facebook chat
- Stereo Bluetooth
- Turn by Turn with Bing
- Swype (its grown on me)
- If there is something it won't do... Theres a ROM or CAB for that :P

Features that i want:
- HD Video
- A Flash
- Multitouch
- Flash Support (i play facebook games lol)
- Some better games would be nice
- 4g (not a must but would be a plus)

I am not invested into any of the marketplaces. I have played with all three slightly, the droid is ok but it seems to be a bit laggy (well more so then the iphone). I guess i just don't love anything out yet. Anyone have any insight on the other OS's? I am really thinking about just keeping my phone, if it had a flash and shot HD video i would.
Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Page Plus

bawaji is keeping up the good workbawaji is keeping up the good work
Re: Eligible for an upgrade and...

People are building ROMs for Android phones. I know iPhones can be "jailbroken" but have not followed it any more than that. If I were to replace my Imagio, I would wait for a dual core processor Android World phone instead of trying out WP7 (am not sure if it will catch on and stay for long) or the iPhone (unless they have a world phone version!).

What I like about Windows Mobile Imagio was how easy it is to change the stock ROM to a custom ROM and add programs without having to go to an "App" site.

Good luck with your search and keep us posted! I will be hanging on to my Imagio at least until the end of this year, so I am glad I do not have to face this dilemma yet!
Old 04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Just because you are eligible for an upgrade there is no necessity for you to do it right now. If you are happy with the Imagio and all it will do, I would wait a while and see what new may develop.
I think Microsoft has been resting on their past successes and now are trying to play "catchup" since Google has been whipping their a$$ with Android. So with that being said, I'm not sure about their new WP7.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

braindoc is keeping up the good workbraindoc is keeping up the good work

I'm getting close to this same issue. Because of my work I need a world phone so the choices on Verizon are few. Verizon will not be getting a MS7 phone for a couple of months yet and I doubt it will be a world phone. It will probably take Verizon (and MS) a year before they have a viable MS7 world phone, which is a shame because I would probably buy one. The Incredible 2 (android) will be coming out in a couple of weeks and that is supposedly a world phone. I know people who own an Incredible and they love it. As far as android phones, it appears to be one of the best, so I would think that the Incredible 2 would be very good as well. This summer, the Pre3 will be offered and it will be a world phone, so there is this option for those people who don't want to follow the apple and android crowd. This phone seems to me to have the best form factor, same size screen as the Imagio, slide out vertical keyboard, and curved to fit the hand - but I don't know how well the platform itself will survive.

Of course the Thunderbolt is an LTE phone and this is the network that will eventuall supplant both CDMA and GSM but I think we're a couple years away from this becoming a viable solution (plus the battery life sucks if you are using LTE).
Old 04-07-2011, 10:16 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 700wx
Carrier: Alltel

TrueMetalGeek is a n00b

I see you are also on Verizon.
What HTC Windows 7 phone do you find available? I went to the store and they had NONE!
Online I can't find much of anything.

I think the imagio is one of the most UNDERRATED phones ever.
As with yours mine hardly locks up.

I pretty much want the same phone again but the HD camera, and a 1 Ghz Processor would be sweet.

Oh, and since they took Skyfire away, flash would be cool.
Although Opera 10 is doing fairly ok for most of that.

Oh yeah, tell me about the OVERCLOCKING. YOU found a program to overclock the imagio?

That would be cool. What do you use?

I have a giant 3200 mAH battery so I'm doing pretty good in the battery life department.
SPeaking of, the larger battery cover makes this phone easier to hold. I've dropped it so many times when it was so thin.
Old 04-07-2011, 11:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: vx6700, xv6800, xv6850, xv6875, xv6900, xv6975,
Carrier: vzw

hemanolio is just getting started

I, for one, am a die hard windows fan. I wont be going over to android. One great thing about Windows Phone for me is the user's ability to browse and manipulate things easily. To have my device be "almost" guaranteed to work with with my PC is also a huge bonus. The streamlined compatibility with the rest of my technology is very important. Viva Windows!
Old 04-08-2011, 08:04 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueMetalGeek View Post
Oh yeah, tell me about the OVERCLOCKING. YOU found a program to overclock the imagio?

[APP] WiMoSpeed: [2011-03-10] V1.06 - xda-developers

You have to try increasing speed in small increments. Higher speeds will lockup and require a reset. I currently have mine clocked at 787Mhz. That gave new life to my Imagio thanks to iwfratz over at XDA. Very smooth!
Old 04-13-2011, 06:59 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: 700wx
Carrier: Alltel

TrueMetalGeek is a n00b

I installed WinMoSpeed last week. I do get close to 800 Mhz out of it. I see some difference.

Today I underclocked it for shits n giggles.
Down to 100 Mhz or less, the windows expanding and collapsing in SPB Mobile Shell are slowed way down.

Another question. Do our imagios have built in gps or not? Kinda seems like it uses cell towers for location in google maps.
Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Carrier: Page Plus

bawaji is keeping up the good workbawaji is keeping up the good work

The Imagio has an in-built GPS. Open Google Maps, Get to the settings and select "Use GPS". You will need the data connection for downloading maps.
Old 04-26-2011, 12:58 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Imagio
Threadstarter

simonob3 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueMetalGeek View Post
I see you are also on Verizon.
What HTC Windows 7 phone do you find available? I went to the store and they had NONE!
Online I can't find much of anything.

I think the imagio is one of the most UNDERRATED phones ever.
As with yours mine hardly locks up.

I pretty much want the same phone again but the HD camera, and a 1 Ghz Processor would be sweet.

Oh, and since they took Skyfire away, flash would be cool.
Although Opera 10 is doing fairly ok for most of that.

I have a giant 3200 mAH battery so I'm doing pretty good in the battery life department.
SPeaking of, the larger battery cover makes this phone easier to hold. I've dropped it so many times when it was so thin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergadgets View Post
[APP] WiMoSpeed: [2011-03-10] V1.06 - xda-developers

You have to try increasing speed in small increments. Higher speeds will lockup and require a reset. I currently have mine clocked at 787Mhz. That gave new life to my Imagio thanks to iwfratz over at XDA. Very smooth!

the overclocking has been answered for ya but i keep mine at 710 not gutsy enough to try the 787 he posted lol.

From what i have read WP7 will be available in a couple months but nothing has been officially released.

If you need a browser with flash support look into "Uzard". I use it and it works pretty good. But don't click the "remember me option" on this because it doesn't store history on the phone. Other then that it works great.

I am leaning towards the thunderbolt but one thing i have noticed about HTC phones is that the LCD is dark... not the brightness just the colors. There is a good example of it posted at phonearea.com where they compare the thunderbolt to other phones.

I will love my WinMo phone like i said if it had a flash and HD video i would keep it. But i have made no decision as of yet.

Last edited by simonob3; 04-26-2011 at 01:01 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Tags
upgrade