PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 08:30 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

mlevin77 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
question on flashing to a new ROM

I've got an Imagio with the stock Verizon ROM. Regarding flashing to one of the new ROMs I see available, I'm hoping someone can help me with the following:

1) is there a comparison list somewhere that explains the differences between them, especially with respect to stability and speed? And, is there a Kitchen?

2) I have a ton of preferences/settings/software installed. I understand I can't simply restore my backup (SPB Backup) to a new ROM. But I've heard references to "Sashimi or UC (User Customization)" - will this enable me to keep my settings (System as well as things like installed programs and all of their various registration codes, Exchange server credentials, etc.) or am I doomed to have to re-install and reconfigure everything if I flash the device?

thank you,

Mike

Last edited by mlevin77; 01-08-2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-09-2011, 01:43 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

sonami is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to sonami Send a message via MSN to sonami
Re: question on flashing to a new ROM

there is no real comparison, you just gotta read the info provided by the cooks and try them out. the 2 best roms on here imho are jamart's project teya and nrg's energy roms, personally i think project teya is the best rom out there for the imagio, but thats just my opinion.

you can use programs like sashimi, spb, sktools, xda_uc etc... but when your jumping between different roms and different sytem builds, it really isnt a good idea to import anything but pim data, when you start importing reg edits and system settings you run the chance of messing things up. it sucks i know, but once you flash a few times you can get it back the way you like it pretty quickly for the most part.

as far as your own apps, if they are not built into the rom itself, its a good idea to track them down as .cab files then keep the cab files backed up on you sd card, you can use xda_uc or sashimi to auto install the cabs for you after a fresh flash. you will need to reconfigure all your apps like facebook/foursquare/email with each new flash. now once you have found a rom you like, and considering that the cook doesnt change system builds with a new update, you could restore a full back up and cut about half the work down, but there is still a chance it might screw something up, so just be aware of that...
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

ok thanks! Is there a kitchen for the Imagio by any chance? And in general: are the new ROMs (say, the Teya one you like) significantly better than the Verizon one? Is it likely to improve small glitches I see with how reminders work, locking properly on BT calls, etc.? What are the main advantages? With my old XV6700, the cooked ROM was a lot better than the stock one. With this device, does it make that much difference?

Mike
Old 01-09-2011, 02:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

sonami is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to sonami Send a message via MSN to sonami

it makes a huge difference both visually and practically, custom roms will always be faster and have way more features than the stock rom. there are kitchens floating around, try the search feature to find some...
Old 01-10-2011, 07:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC One M8

Relic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Relic Send a message via MSN to Relic Send a message via Yahoo to Relic Send a message via Skype™ to Relic

I use OsKitchen to churn out my ROMS. I think it does a very good job.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

is it the one at PPCKitchen Releases - PPCKitchen

I think I used it once before for my XV6700, but it was just the one file. This thread lists dozens of other files that appear to be necessary and I have no idea which ones I need. Is there by any chance a relatively detailed set of instructions step by step of exactly what I need to have to build a working one for the Imagio?

Mike
Old 01-10-2011, 09:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonami View Post
it makes a huge difference both visually and practically, custom roms will always be faster and have way more features than the stock rom. there are kitchens floating around, try the search feature to find some...
I wouldn't classify the Energy ROM as being faster than the stock. I just flashed back to the stock & it is much faster. The delay accessing everything is less noticeable.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:03 AM
N00b
Carrier: VZW

randcool is a n00b

It depends on what your expectations are for the rom.I think NRG's roms are a lot faster than stock roms.They look better and are more functional.
Old 01-11-2011, 05:40 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC One M8

Relic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good workRelic is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to Relic Send a message via MSN to Relic Send a message via Yahoo to Relic Send a message via Skype™ to Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlevin77 View Post
is it the one at PPCKitchen Releases - PPCKitchen

I think I used it once before for my XV6700, but it was just the one file. This thread lists dozens of other files that appear to be necessary and I have no idea which ones I need. Is there by any chance a relatively detailed set of instructions step by step of exactly what I need to have to build a working one for the Imagio?

Mike
The one at PPCKitchen.org kitchen is OsBuilder. I used to use that for my Touch Pro. But didn't serve my purpse nor did it work well with the Imagio.

Try OsKitchen from [WM Kitchen] OsKitchen Zero v1.33.5 (20 October 2010) - xda-developers.

Then to just getting started:

1. Download the Official ROM from Personal Communications Devices | Our Devices - XV6975

2. Then in the kitchen click on "Import" and choose "Import a new ROM File"

After that you can customize your ROM aswell as adding other ext rom packages etc...

That is pretty much just to get you started in a nut shell. There are other details but... well get into that later.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Axim X51v, Tilt, 8525 VX6900, Imagio
Carrier: AT&T & Verizon

jadesse is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by randcool View Post
It depends on what your expectations are for the rom.I think NRG's roms are a lot faster than stock roms.They look better and are more functional.
Don't get me wrong NRG's ROM is a great but I don't think it is any faster than the stock ROM. At least not on my device anyway.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio