PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   outta here... WP7 eliminates the need for tekkie forums :-) (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=136673)

gcianc 11-09-2010 10:29 AM

outta here... WP7 eliminates the need for tekkie forums :-)

I know Windows Phone 7 is not popular around here as this forum is riddled with tekkies who often love to tweak & geek (i.e. play with their phone) just as much as they use their actual phone for meaningful business or intent.

Which is OK.

Anyways my Imagio & HD2 is going bye-bye as they were replaced with the Samsung Focus...a device might I add which is simply breathtaking. The first "smartphone" (any type) that was not FRUSTRATING to the point of wanting to smash it within 15 minutes of boot up.

Anyone reading should consider putting down the hate-o-rade and checking out WP7 when your contract expires or if you're loooking for an awesome mobile experience.

Happy trails...

demonlordoftheround 11-09-2010 10:40 AM

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

A lot of us are dissappointed in the direction WP7 has taken, but at the same time we are looking foward to the potential of the new devices. What are your first impressions of WP7?

gcianc 11-09-2010 11:48 AM

Re: outta here... WP7 eliminates the need for tekkie forums :-)

I had some reservations about WP7 myself. Devices, carriers, features, v1.0. Live tiles & menu list seemed cool but perhaps clunky vs 16 homescreen icons (easy today launcher) and other plugins for one-click app entry. The two biggest concerns for me were no Slingbox (it's now already available!) and no free turn-by-turn GPS (coming soon w/ Bing or AT&T $10/month now).

Any concern was eliminated upon power on & swipe unlock of the Focus. All that concern was simply baggage tossed to the curb.... really the impression is immediate and obvious... WP7 is simply fantastic!

First off the phone is totally responsive with both beautiful and useful visuals & transitions. The touch screen & system response is like an extension of your thumb, unlike any mobile software/system i've used. The system is rock solid/stable. Everything makes sense.... you click/press something happens... IMMEDIATELY without pause or delay. Carriers will love this (along with marketplace revenue sharing) cause you won't see WP7 devices frozen up & unresponsive in stores ala Droid & WM phones with 4 days worth of apps open. Oh yeah, and my ATT store had an Xbox360 black/slim in the "Windows Phone" wall.

I copied 8-10GB of music (16gb class6 card & hard reset) with Zune that was super fast (had to convert lossless WMA to 192kbps). No more creating a separate "phone" music library manually!

I cannot understate that everything on the phone just makes sense. I had to unlearn things to enter an IMAP email... pressing enter and seeing a sensible next step as opposed to knowing to click into a button to set something important up. 99% of Droid users (not super-tekkies but the actual people on Verizon looking for a decent, new device will love this and IMHO switch in great numbers off BB too.

One Windows Live & one FB login populates my photo hub, contacts (info & thumbnail photos) - no lockup or freezing. The experience is simply phenomenal (delightful to quote the other Steve). That is before you click into Market with hundreds of good free apps - some of which look better than iPhone/Android.

I look at my HD2 which even if t could run WP7 has lame button configurations, power in a bad spot and no dedicated camera button. Puke.

I really hate to even mention Apple, RIM or Android but but...

The mandatory button configuration WP7 alone should be lauded as simply brilliant. 3 front buttons are perfect when using apps or navigating the phone. PERFECT. No stupid carrier or OEM stuff (see samsung continuum extra screen) that will fragment & waste developer resources.. if not further lock you to one carrier (perhaps selling an exclusive device with exclusive button or whatever).

Bing Local Search is MIND BOGGLING. You all saw the "sushi demos". It's really like that. The google search app (free in market) is lacking in both results and appearance/usability (need to click small links, etc as if designed for a PC). The WM6 Bing app search/local is simply pathetic in comparison. GoogleWP7/Bing6 gives local "pizza" shop results miles/cities away. As if it's mixing webpages and real stores.

WP7 gives a local yellowpages.com ad place and then 100% dead on nearby results. Two clicks (or one long hold and say "local pizza").

It hurts to pickup a non-WP7 device now. Really it's just that good, clean, smooth, fast, responsive, etc.

fwaits 11-09-2010 12:44 PM

Glad to hear good things about it. I'm very interested in it myself, but am waiting to see some devices show up on Verizon. (Work uses VZW, and pays for that, plus I think their network is the best) I will likely go to an AT&T store just to get a little hands on time with it so I can talk about it from some first hand experience. Thanks for the info.

JClishe 11-10-2010 04:45 AM

Glad to hear you like it. I had originally planned on holding out until Verizon got their WP7 device, but after seeing the Focus for myself in an AT&T store and discovering that VZW is only getting 1 WP7 device, I'm jumping ship.

I've played with pre-production WP7 devices, but I was still surprised / impressed with the Focus. Unbelievably fast. The AT&T salesman in the store I was at said they were doing some side by side performance tests of the Focus and iPhone, and the Focus was generally faster than the iPhone. He said all the reps in the store were pretty impressed with it.

Jelem1880 11-11-2010 08:35 PM

I'm glad WP7 is starting out well. Competition is great for the smartphone market. I'm holding on to my Imagio until my NE2 is up with Verizon. I was all on the Android bandwagon but WP7 might make my upgrade decision tough. Can't wait to see what WP7 phone Verizon will release next year!

JClishe 11-12-2010 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelem1880 (Post 1993471)
I'm glad WP7 is starting out well. Competition is great for the smartphone market. I'm holding on to my Imagio until my NE2 is up with Verizon. I was all on the Android bandwagon but WP7 might make my upgrade decision tough. Can't wait to see what WP7 phone Verizon will release next year!

Rumor is they're only getting the Trophy.

kvictor017 11-12-2010 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JClishe (Post 1993818)
Rumor is they're only getting the Trophy.

Man, why can't they get something like the HD7 or the focus? The trophy is like a touch pro2 with a snapdragon and no keyboard. Let's not forget that the phone tech is gonna get better next year anyway. I really hope VZW releases more than just that.

That aside, I had a feeling MS was gonna make a comeback with this one. I mean we all had our doubts due to speculation, but now that it's actually here and people can see it perspectives will change. Time for the Android prodigal sons to return....we welcome you with open arms lol

jadesse 11-17-2010 04:17 PM

Personally it is way too early to jump ship for Window Phone 7. Come on we all know anything that MS develops has major flaws at launch. They can't learn from their mistakes.

gcianc 11-17-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kvictor017 (Post 1993843)
Man, why can't they get something like the HD7 or the focus? The trophy is like a touch pro2 with a snapdragon and no keyboard. Let's not forget that the phone tech is gonna get better next year anyway. I really hope VZW releases more than just that.

When has verizon EVER had a cutting edge phone? LOL. Trophy is a 3.8" candybar. good form factor for most (4.3 is bulky for vast majority). Focus would be even better obviously but ATT seems to have locked that up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadesse (Post 1997538)
Personally it is way too early to jump ship for Window Phone 7. Come on we all know anything that MS develops has major flaws at launch. They can't learn from their mistakes.

Nope. 9 days with the Focus has been fantastic.