PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   why can't my Apple laptop connect to Imagio as hotspot?? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=134916)

mlevin77 10-05-2010 12:21 PM

why can't my Apple laptop connect to Imagio as hotspot??

I've got an Imagio with the stock Verizon ROM. I've tried both CMInternet Sharing and a registered copy of WMWifiRouter to set it up as a hotspot (to share its cell phone network connection via wifi). I've now tried it with two laptop clients - Apple laptops with OS X 10.6 and it doesn't work. The network shows up under the list of Airport networks, but it never gets a valid IP address from DHCP - says it has a "self-assigned IP and won't be able to access the internet". What am I doing wrong? 2 different apps with two different machines makes me think I'm missing something. Anyone have this working - any ideas?

thanks,

Mike

randcool 10-10-2010 03:29 PM

Re: why can't my Apple laptop connect to Imagio as hotspot??

you need to have net framework installed for it to work.I had the same issue.

mlevin77 10-11-2010 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randcool (Post 1970543)
you need to have net framework installed for it to work.I had the same issue.

sorry, install Net framework where - on the laptop or the Imagio? And is there a URL for this? I'm pretty sure I have .NET installed on the Imagio already. Where is it needed and what exactly? I'd love to get this to work. Thanks!!!

Mike

wupapi39 10-14-2010 03:20 PM

You need to change you Wifi settings to Enable AdHoc Connections.....since your Imagio is technically a PC it creates an AdHoc (PC-PC) connection. I had the same problem initially, and once I changed this setting everything has worked great.....WMWifiRouter is a godsend!!

mlevin77 10-15-2010 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wupapi39 (Post 1973651)
You need to change you Wifi settings to Enable AdHoc Connections.....since your Imagio is technically a PC it creates an AdHoc (PC-PC) connection. I had the same problem initially, and once I changed this setting everything has worked great.....WMWifiRouter is a godsend!!

argh... It's still not working for me. In MyWiFiRouter, I do have it selected as "adhoc" and still 1) the laptop seems to be happy for about 10 seconds, and then the green turns to yellow and it says it has a self-assigned address and can't access the network, 2) after about 5 minutes, I get a menu saying #777 disconnected (lost the cell phone network).

I have another app, "Mobile Wi-Fi Router" which makes a network called "XDA-Wifi Sharing". This one never disconnects the #777, but has the same problem connecting to the laptop (a brief green light on the Airport status and then yellow again with no IP) and I see no "ad hoc" option on there.

Is there anything special to do on the Mac side? Where's the "ad-hoc" option there? Do I need something NET as the last poster suggested?

thanks,

Mike