PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 08:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Verizon

djp952 is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Voice Mail System" SMS messages

I hope there isn't a stupid simple answer to this, since I did look around.

Anytime I get a Voice Mail, delete a Voice Mail, save a Voice Mail, I also end up with an SMS from "Voice Mail System". It never says anything useful, just a blank message from "Voice Mail System". This started happening maybe a month or so ago (? I don't get many VMs ?), and was not the result of me doing anything specific.

I've read that this is an option you can configure in your VM settings, but I listened to all of them and didn't hear anything like this. I've also read that you have to call Verizon to turn this on or off. I'm 100% certain I never asked to have this turned on

FWIW, I'm using a custom ROM (Drellisdee's RC 1.5x), but I really don't think it has anything to do with that. I've been using that ROM since it came out, this is a new problem.

Anyway, if any smart folks out here know exactly why Verizon (or my Imagio) is sending me meaningless SMS messages every time I get/delete/save a voice mail, I'd *really* like it to stop. Any and all assistance or things to check/do are greatly appreciated.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:58 PM
Cookin' Project: Teya
Pocket PC: Omnia i910, HTC Imagio, Now Gnex
Carrier: Big Red

jmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: "Voice Mail System" SMS messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp952 View Post
I hope there isn't a stupid simple answer to this, since I did look around.

Anytime I get a Voice Mail, delete a Voice Mail, save a Voice Mail, I also end up with an SMS from "Voice Mail System". It never says anything useful, just a blank message from "Voice Mail System". This started happening maybe a month or so ago (? I don't get many VMs ?), and was not the result of me doing anything specific.

I've read that this is an option you can configure in your VM settings, but I listened to all of them and didn't hear anything like this. I've also read that you have to call Verizon to turn this on or off. I'm 100% certain I never asked to have this turned on

FWIW, I'm using a custom ROM (Drellisdee's RC 1.5x), but I really don't think it has anything to do with that. I've been using that ROM since it came out, this is a new problem.

Anyway, if any smart folks out here know exactly why Verizon (or my Imagio) is sending me meaningless SMS messages every time I get/delete/save a voice mail, I'd *really* like it to stop. Any and all assistance or things to check/do are greatly appreciated.
I have this same annoying "feature" in my ROM as well, so I do not think it is ROM specific. I have not figured out how to stop it, hopefully somebody out there knows how!

Other: Sense 2.5.2019 in a Cab
Old 06-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff

Those are for the Verizon Visual Voicemail app. If you are subscribed to that feature it expects you have the software setup for your account and running to pick up new voicemails from.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwaits View Post
Those are for the Verizon Visual Voicemail app. If you are subscribed to that feature it expects you have the software setup for your account and running to pick up new voicemails from.
But, I never signed up for it. Maybe a call to VZW is in order, huh?

edit: I don't have Visual Voice Mail enabled on my account.

Last edited by djp952; 06-20-2010 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff

Odd the only time I have seen them is when I don't have the app configured to login to my VVM account. Before I had that I never saw them.
Old 07-06-2010, 10:19 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

I spent some time with a surprisingly helpful and willing VZW rep this evening (and she was about 2 miles away from me, so we got to comiserate about the weather), and the problem remains unresolved. We tried enabling VVM on my account, and then turning it off, and I'm still getting the annoying IMs. I of course lied and said I'm running the stock ROM from VZW, threw in a couple "I even did that weird reset thing where you have to type in a code and then dial *228 to reactivate the phone" statements, but to no avail.

The other day I did ask my wife, who was home on leave from DEU around the time this started if she made any mistakes when using my phone, and she fessed up to running Visual Voice Mail, but she hit Cancel instead of Accept. I have no reason to disbelieve this, and told VZW that's what happened. No luck.

My best guess is that just launching VVM and cancelling it is the root cause. Can you guys corrobrate that? I'm still of the mindset it has nothing to do with the ROM, and honestly could re-flash to stock to be certain but am too lazy to do so. I love my "Drellisdee" Imagio too much.

It's not a big deal in the end, so what if there are a few no-cost IMs to clean up now and again, but it's just so ... annoying.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:25 PM

jmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPjmart518 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp952 View Post
I spent some time with a surprisingly helpful and willing VZW rep this evening (and she was about 2 miles away from me, so we got to comiserate about the weather), and the problem remains unresolved. We tried enabling VVM on my account, and then turning it off, and I'm still getting the annoying IMs. I of course lied and said I'm running the stock ROM from VZW, threw in a couple "I even did that weird reset thing where you have to type in a code and then dial *228 to reactivate the phone" statements, but to no avail.

The other day I did ask my wife, who was home on leave from DEU around the time this started if she made any mistakes when using my phone, and she fessed up to running Visual Voice Mail, but she hit Cancel instead of Accept. I have no reason to disbelieve this, and told VZW that's what happened. No luck.

My best guess is that just launching VVM and cancelling it is the root cause. Can you guys corrobrate that? I'm still of the mindset it has nothing to do with the ROM, and honestly could re-flash to stock to be certain but am too lazy to do so. I love my "Drellisdee" Imagio too much.

It's not a big deal in the end, so what if there are a few no-cost IMs to clean up now and again, but it's just so ... annoying.
Ok, since you did the hard part and had to deal with VZW, I figured I would help out and test out the stock ROM.
Missed call ---> Voicemail ---> No Alert Text!
My only guess is that there is a common denominator between my ROM and Drellisdee's ROM. I guess I will have to start tracking down the problem, now that I know it is my problem within my ROM and not Big Reds.

Update: I have tracked down the package causing this and now I just need to figure out a way to fix it (hopefully just a simple reg). I will keep you posted on my findings.

Last edited by jmart518; 07-07-2010 at 03:14 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

PthPndr is just getting started

I've also started seeing the same thing (running Drell's ROM). Good luck jmart518!
Old 07-07-2010, 06:34 PM

EDIT: The fix caused another problem, so I pulled it. Back to the drawing board.

Last edited by jmart518; 07-09-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:29 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

jmart, if you come up with any other ideas/possible solutions and want to have a second guinea-pig for this, please PM me. I'm perfectly willing to try stuff out and don't mind if my device gets trashed in the process. I have a pretty wide window every evening where I can safely screw with it and still re-flash in time before I need it to work again. LMK.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio