PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

mlevin77 is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
how to use my Verizon Imagio in Switzerland/Germany?

I'll be going to Switzerland/Germany for a week. I've got a Verizon Imagio (stock ROM). What exactly do I need to do to get it to work over there? As I understand, it already has a SIM card and I can call Verizon and ask them to unlock it, is that right? If so, when I get there, what do I do to be able to use it (set options to GSM or something like that) and is there a way to know what plan/company I'm connected to when abroad, and how much I'm paying per minute so as not to accidentally end up on some $100/minute service by mistake?

thank you,

Mike
Old 09-06-2010, 03:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Q9M > HTC Vouge > HTC Imagio > Droid X2

coolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: how to use my Verizon Imagio in Switzerland/Germany?

You need to call Verizon and explain to them that you are going overseas and that you want to use a pre-paid SIM card that you'll purchase in Switzerland. Once you have reached the Global services dept. they will look at your account and if it's in good standing they will walk you through the process of unlocking your SIM.

Then, you can put in any GSM SIM card and set the phone to global mode (Start - Settings - Personal - Phone - Network - Switch from CDMA only to Global or GSM/UMTS Only)

Once you get to wherever you are going you can buy a prepaid GSM SIM card and stick it in. Your phone will pick up their service. You have to make sure to ask them about data charges, text messages, etc. and choose your plan accordingly. If you are going to use data then they will have to show you how to configure the data settings.

Once you have spoken to VZW about unlocking they will probably try to sell you on a global roaming plan which may not be too bad for you to consider. Hear them out and ask them the same questions that you would ask here. I for instance would want to know if I'm using an international GSM card will I incur any data charges on my VZW bill, etc. A good rep will tell you everything you need to know about roaming.

If you only want the phone for making calls in Europe then it's a great idea to just get the SIM card and use only GSM band but it's still best to let VZW know that you are roaming so you know what to expect.

There are other threads that go into this, read HERE for one.
- Stedysoft FullDeck R14 -> Notes/bugs/tips HERE
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Imagio
Threadstarter

mlevin77 is just getting started

Excellent, thanks! So the SIM card that is in there is the one for use with VZW abroad, yes?

Mike
Old 09-06-2010, 12:14 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Q9M > HTC Vouge > HTC Imagio > Droid X2

coolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcoolpoete is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

correct
Old 09-07-2010, 10:33 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

braindoc is keeping up the good workbraindoc is keeping up the good work

As an alternative you can just use the GSM Vodafone card that is already in your Imagio, it should work with no problem in Germany and Switzerland, just make sure your phone is set to Global. This way you can avoid having to buy a prepaid SIM card (why pay for minutes you may not use). You may still want to call Verizon to let them know you'll be traveling. The phone charges you'll accrue probably won't be that much. I was in Italy for a couple of weeks last fall and barely noticed any difference in my bill. If you want to use data then tell Verizon, they can set up your account to turn on global data service (this is a separate service than the basic phone service) the day you arrive and turn it back off the day you leave. If you are only there for a week it's not that much money (it's about $20/month) and it will allow you to access the web, get your email, and get the local weather information - well worth the extra couple of bucks.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio