PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2010, 02:42 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio and Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

untitled is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Bing on Imagio on WiFi

I'm still using my Imagio for some stuff via WiFi even though it's no longer on a wireless account. I'd like to continue using the Bing navigator because it's just better than the Google Navigator on the Incredible.

I can wirelessly tether the Imagio to the Incredible (in fact, I'm doing so right now to type this on my Imagio) but Bing for sime reason can't find my location even with GPS enabled. Google maps, on the other hand, is able to find me on the Imagio.

Am I just outta luck? Is there any way to get Bing to find my location?
Old 09-02-2010, 08:34 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Alltel 6800 > Touch Pro > Imagio>Droid Razr
Carrier: Alltel>Verizon

mastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regularmastergadgets is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Re: Bing on Imagio on WiFi

Quote:
Originally Posted by untitled View Post
I'm still using my Imagio for some stuff via WiFi even though it's no longer on a wireless account. I'd like to continue using the Bing navigator because it's just better than the Google Navigator on the Incredible.

I can wirelessly tether the Imagio to the Incredible (in fact, I'm doing so right now to type this on my Imagio) but Bing for sime reason can't find my location even with GPS enabled. Google maps, on the other hand, is able to find me on the Imagio.

Am I just outta luck? Is there any way to get Bing to find my location?
If I'm not mistaken, Bing will only work with a data plan as it has to access the web to pull down the maps. It may not be that it can't find your location, but it can't get the maps to display your location.
But I could be wrong.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastergadgets View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Bing will only work with a data plan as it has to access the web to pull down the maps. It may not be that it can't find your location, but it can't get the maps to display your location.
But I could be wrong.
Actually, the problem seems to be exactly the reverse. It's pulling the maps over the WiFi connection just fine. It just can't figure out where I am. It seems to want to use cell tower triangulation before it even tries the GPS.
Old 09-04-2010, 11:39 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2

gob0go is a n00b

If quick gps is installed on the imagio as it is on the touch pro, you'll have to run that to get an update on the location of satellites. I use Bing on the TP2 and have had to do this a number of times as the satellite location expires after 7 days. A quick update to refresh the quick GPS software and Bing Finds the new satellite information instantly.
Old 09-05-2010, 03:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gob0go View Post
If quick gps is installed on the imagio as it is on the touch pro, you'll have to run that to get an update on the location of satellites. I use Bing on the TP2 and have had to do this a number of times as the satellite location expires after 7 days. A quick update to refresh the quick GPS software and Bing Finds the new satellite information instantly.
I gave this a try, but it didn't help any. I still think it wants to use cellular triangulation first and only checks GPS after that.

EDIT: Success! I absent-mindedly left the phone alone for about 10 minutes with Bing searching for my location, and it eventually found me (this is sometime after updating Quick GPS). Not sure why it took so long, but it did work.

Last edited by untitled; 09-05-2010 at 03:41 AM. Reason: New info

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio