PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Bing on Imagio on WiFi (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=132859)

untitled 09-02-2010 02:42 AM

Bing on Imagio on WiFi

I'm still using my Imagio for some stuff via WiFi even though it's no longer on a wireless account. I'd like to continue using the Bing navigator because it's just better than the Google Navigator on the Incredible.

I can wirelessly tether the Imagio to the Incredible (in fact, I'm doing so right now to type this on my Imagio) but Bing for sime reason can't find my location even with GPS enabled. Google maps, on the other hand, is able to find me on the Imagio.

Am I just outta luck? Is there any way to get Bing to find my location?

mastergadgets 09-02-2010 08:34 AM

Re: Bing on Imagio on WiFi

Quote:

Originally Posted by untitled (Post 1932480)
I'm still using my Imagio for some stuff via WiFi even though it's no longer on a wireless account. I'd like to continue using the Bing navigator because it's just better than the Google Navigator on the Incredible.

I can wirelessly tether the Imagio to the Incredible (in fact, I'm doing so right now to type this on my Imagio) but Bing for sime reason can't find my location even with GPS enabled. Google maps, on the other hand, is able to find me on the Imagio.

Am I just outta luck? Is there any way to get Bing to find my location?

If I'm not mistaken, Bing will only work with a data plan as it has to access the web to pull down the maps. It may not be that it can't find your location, but it can't get the maps to display your location.
But I could be wrong.

untitled 09-02-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mastergadgets (Post 1932553)
If I'm not mistaken, Bing will only work with a data plan as it has to access the web to pull down the maps. It may not be that it can't find your location, but it can't get the maps to display your location.
But I could be wrong.

Actually, the problem seems to be exactly the reverse. It's pulling the maps over the WiFi connection just fine. It just can't figure out where I am. It seems to want to use cell tower triangulation before it even tries the GPS.

gob0go 09-04-2010 11:39 AM

If quick gps is installed on the imagio as it is on the touch pro, you'll have to run that to get an update on the location of satellites. I use Bing on the TP2 and have had to do this a number of times as the satellite location expires after 7 days. A quick update to refresh the quick GPS software and Bing Finds the new satellite information instantly.

untitled 09-05-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gob0go (Post 1934962)
If quick gps is installed on the imagio as it is on the touch pro, you'll have to run that to get an update on the location of satellites. I use Bing on the TP2 and have had to do this a number of times as the satellite location expires after 7 days. A quick update to refresh the quick GPS software and Bing Finds the new satellite information instantly.

I gave this a try, but it didn't help any. I still think it wants to use cellular triangulation first and only checks GPS after that.

EDIT: Success! I absent-mindedly left the phone alone for about 10 minutes with Bing searching for my location, and it eventually found me (this is sometime after updating Quick GPS). Not sure why it took so long, but it did work.