PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 03:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

johncal is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
MR1 questions

Question #1 - Do you think this is legit?

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-foru...19/t/1188.aspx

Question #2 - To any of you guys that have really customized your phones.... After the MR1 update, were you able to do a RESTORE to your phone with SPB Backup or anything similar or that even necessary? Does the upgrade fresh wipe the phone? I use SPB but don't want to have to re-customize the phone one item at a time if I can avoid it. The SPB works great and is really fast. If you were able to restore after an MR1 update, were there any problems?

Question #3 - I have heard about battery issues after the update. What's the real story here and are there any other issues with it?

Question #4 - Is it worth it?

Thanks in Advance,
johncal

Last edited by johncal; 04-18-2010 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Re: MR1 questions

[QUOTE=johncal;1705705]Question #1 - Do you think this is legit?

http://community.htc.com/na/htc-foru...19/t/1188.aspx

I answered the first question myself. If I go to the verizon site and click on phone support and then the software update link, it goes right to that page. I'm guessing if it links from theVerizon site, it must be legitimate.
Old 04-18-2010, 07:48 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: EVO3D
Carrier: SERO-P

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

2 - no, do not do this. the update uses a newer 6.5 kernal and is much faster.
3 - battery is fine
4 - yes it is worth it if you want to stay stock
Old 04-18-2010, 08:09 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

fwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stufffwaits knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lafester View Post
2 - no, do not do this. the update uses a newer 6.5 kernal and is much faster.
3 - battery is fine
4 - yes it is worth it if you want to stay stock
I will concur with this as well.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

bradleyem is just getting started

2. It has ALWAYS been recommended to NOT restore a backup using SPB or anything similar when changing to different ROMs (whether stock or custom), as the backup restores registry settings from the old/different/defective SYS that almost always causes wierd, unexplainable issues that are almost impossible to resolve. In spite of this there are COUNTLESS threads where people ignored the advice and did it anyway, and are looking for help with this issue or that issue. DONT DO IT! It takes me all of about 1/2 hour to completely reload my phone from scratch, and just like with any version of windows, you're always better off with a fresh reload.

3. I've been using MR1 for about a week, and battery life has been better than 1.08.605.11

4. Yes its worth it, it is noticibly faster and the bluetooth stack is much improved.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, I did the MR1 update and a full restore with SPB Backup and everything went perfectly.

Just make sure you choose the "restore with rom upgrade" option on the SPB.

I'm happy!
Old 05-02-2010, 10:48 AM
Almost a VIP

lafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stufflafester knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncal View Post
Well, I did the MR1 update and a full restore with SPB Backup and everything went perfectly.

Just make sure you choose the "restore with rom upgrade" option on the SPB.

I'm happy!

lol. people just don't listen.

it may appear to have worked perfectly but trust me things will start going wrong at some point. might just be minor things... but sometimes freezes and lagging can occur.
Old 05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
lol. people just don't listen.

it may appear to have worked perfectly but trust me things will start going wrong at some point. might just be minor things... but sometimes freezes and lagging can occur.
An Imagio where freezing and lagging can occur....... Last time I checked, that's what they do for a living. Even straight out of the box.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:03 PM
Almost a VIP

lol again. isn't that why you are upgrading? using backup software after an upgrade is going to make your phone run just as bad or worse then it did "out of the box".
Old 05-02-2010, 01:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
lol again. isn't that why you are upgrading? using backup software after an upgrade is going to make your phone run just as bad or worse then it did "out of the box".

LOL. You obviously don't know what you're talking about, and your last statement makes it obvious.

The upgrade is performed to fix CORE issues like bluetooth, radio, Verizon TV services, etc. These changes aren't even in the windows portion of the ROM but in the HTC code. Where they interface with windows they use standard commands that windows really couldn't care less about other than that it sees them in the registry. As far as the upgrade is concerned, Verizon makes it as close to stock as possible with bug fixes in individual lines of code, or in sections of code. It doesn't rewrite instructions in the registry where custom lines of code have been inserted by 3rd party software.The things that are "backed up" are custom settings, e-mail, custom software installations, and things of this nature.

Now if you were talking about cooked ROMs where entire sections of code have been hacked or modified, then I may agree with you. However there is NOTHING wrong with trying a backup - restore since the worst thing that can happen is that you'd have to hard reset and then load programs one at a time like you suggested.

You're basically trying to defend your position and earlier statements by "hoping" that I have some weird issue down the road to prove you right.

Yeah, what you're saying COULD be right for some people, but NOT for me, and all I am doing is merely reporting what worked for me, and I think you'd have a hard time proving MY phone is having issues, since it is obviously not... but according to you, I'm so dumb, I probably don't even know it. Hey, thanks for telling me I don't know what worked on my phone and you do. You have supernatural insight.... or you're wrong about this one, in this case.

Last edited by johncal; 05-02-2010 at 01:28 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio