PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Overclock the Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=128715)

willywonkaisrsh 07-15-2010 09:28 AM

Overclock the Imagio

Just found this over at XDA. Overclock application that works with our phone. Tried and tested and works at 710mhz. However, the app is still in test phase and reverts the speed back to stock after waking from sleep. Sure it will be fixed soon. Go check it out.

thepolishguy 07-15-2010 11:26 AM

Re: Overclock the Imagio

nice find. going to check it out when I get some time (maybe). A little worried about O.C.

Lagz0ne 07-16-2010 02:31 AM

just tracked xda thread. We still enjoy that with never turn our mobile to sleep mode. :D

dan23945 07-16-2010 10:21 AM

I would love to speed up my Imagio some, but I don't have any experience overclocking mobile phone procs. Is this safe? Did you see any speed differences at 710Mhz? Excessive heat?

willywonkaisrsh 07-16-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan23945 (Post 1868422)
I would love to speed up my Imagio some, but I don't have any experience overclocking mobile phone procs. Is this safe? Did you see any speed differences at 710Mhz? Excessive heat?

There is nothing to it. After you install the app you just use it to move the slider to the amount you want to overclock. I have tried it on my phone several times and as long as you dont go above 710mhz your good. I did see a speed difference and no heat issues but was not able to keep it overclocked for more than 5 minutes to to the sleep issue.

mlevin77 07-16-2010 10:45 AM

I must be missing it: where's the link to the app you found?

thanks,

Mike

Osteo 07-16-2010 11:02 AM

Click the 3rd word in the 1st post ("this")!

gokudre 07-16-2010 12:02 PM

Great find willy.. imma test it today

mlevin77 07-16-2010 12:10 PM

great - thanks. I'll try it as soon as they have a way to use it when not connected to a power cord (which is 99% of my use).

willywonkaisrsh 07-16-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlevin77 (Post 1868609)
great - thanks. I'll try it as soon as they have a way to use it when not connected to a power cord (which is 99% of my use).

This is not an issue with our phones. I have tried it on AC and on battery power and it runs fine either way. The problem is once you overclock and the phone goes to sleep, it resets the overclock back to stock. So basically it is only overclocked as long as the screen doesnt shut off.

thepolishguy 07-16-2010 05:27 PM

So why not use that little "no sleep" app by oldSAP over at xda? that little app gives you a toggle switch so that your device will not go to sleep.

You may not have to be connected to AC but you will have to be connected to AC pretty soon with the battery life on this device lol. Actually it is not funny. Why am i laughing out loud?

Toysrme 07-16-2010 11:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
*edit*
use this SetCpuSpeed-1.0d.cab

set the MHZ to whatever you want. sleep to 604 & polling rate to 100.
itll auto overclock by itself & never crash/sod.
*edit*

Imagio (Whitestone)
No lock regardless of the app @ 787mhz on a 90% SOC on the battery, but SOD occurred.
Running NRGY rom & nuebatt
@ 787mhz nuedynamic clock reports the CPU running @ 1056mhz @ 1.325v
nueclockviewer shows no change.
TCPMP reports 790mhz
Having this in an app like nuedynamicclock would be great!

FWIW Running nuedynamic clock to downclock the device upon sleep has prevented the SOD's, but you still have to re-overclock the device upon wake.

pimp818 07-17-2010 12:33 PM

Pardon my ignorarance, but the downloaded fille even though it has a .cab ending, opens up as .rar and will not let me install it.please help.

mastergadgets 07-17-2010 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pimp818 (Post 1870470)
Pardon my ignorarance, but the downloaded fille even though it has a .cab ending, opens up as .rar and will not let me install it.please help.

A .rar is a compressed file. You will have to find and download software that will un-compress the .rar file. When you un-compress the .rar file, you should find the .cab file. Move the .cab file to your device and run it.

thepolishguy 07-17-2010 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toysrme (Post 1869797)
Imagio (Whitestone)
No lock regardless of the app @ 787mhz on a 90% SOC on the battery, but SOD occurred.
Running NRGY rom & nuebatt
@ 787mhz nuedynamic clock reports the CPU running @ 1056mhz @ 1.325v
nueclockviewer shows no change.
TCPMP reports 790mhz
Having this in an app like nuedynamicclock would be great!

FWIW Running nuedynamic clock to downclock the device upon sleep has prevented the SOD's, but you still have to re-overclock the device upon wake.

Interesting - my phone locks immediately if I go above 710. It did appear to be working on battery though. But I did not notice a significant increase in speed.

So nuedynamic clock works on the Imagio? Do you have a copy of the .cab? (if the dev wouldn't mind) I searched and found some threads at XDA - but wanted to make sure I got the right one. Thanks either way.

lafester 07-20-2010 12:57 AM

pretty cool guys. too bad nobody is using the imagio anymore. lol.
i just got mine back up and running so i had to stop by and see whats new.

seems like the sleep issue would be an easy fix for the dev... much easier then the power issue other devices are experiencing.

Lagz0ne 07-23-2010 12:24 AM

new version was released. currently i'm stable with 748Mhz with no sleep issue.
Update: After few time stand by, my mobile reset back to 528Mhz, till now, sometime it is freeze .:(

mlevin77 07-23-2010 07:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagz0ne (Post 1879116)
new version was released. currently i'm stable with 748Mhz with no sleep issue.
After few time stand by, my mobile reset back to 528Mhz, till now, sometime it is freeze .:(

sorry, I didn't understand - can you clarify: are you getting freezes, or is the new version stable?

thank you,

Mike

Lagz0ne 07-23-2010 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlevin77 (Post 1879372)
sorry, I didn't understand - can you clarify: are you getting freezes, or is the new version stable?

thank you,

Mike

Get freezes if i gets higher than 768Mhz. But XDA they can get 820Mhz with MSM7600 (our chip) and after stand by, the clock will return to 528Mhz or freeze. :(

Lagz0ne 08-09-2010 12:37 AM

Update:
work fine with this post::headbang::headbang::headbang:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1295
currently: i'm stable with 748Mhz, no SoD issue or hang up (2 days). (Install the overclock software in main memory)

smartbusiness2003 08-09-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagz0ne (Post 1904172)
Update:
work fine with this post::headbang::headbang::headbang:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=1295
currently: i'm stable with 748Mhz, no SoD issue or hang up (2 days). (Install the overclock software in main memory)

thanks! this actually helps a lot

jmart518 08-09-2010 11:13 AM

Overclocking has breathed new life into my phone for sure, feels like a brand new device! I have been running 825 MHz (anything above that locks her up) for about two weeks now without SOD, great program with the right scripts!

cdcarson 08-09-2010 01:13 PM

Works great! You can defintely tell a speed difference.

mlevin77 08-09-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdcarson (Post 1904717)
Works great! You can defintely tell a speed difference.

I saw this in the instructions:

"Sleep"=dword:00000000

does this mean the device is now never going to sleep? won't this impact battery life significantly?

Mike

jmart518 08-09-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlevin77 (Post 1904974)
I saw this in the instructions:

"Sleep"=dword:00000000

does this mean the device is now never going to sleep? won't this impact battery life significantly?

Mike

There are other scripts IMO that work better, that don't require that reg edit. I am using one of the first ones that came out and it works great. Completely automated: safe speed on sleep and during phone calls, a speed boost for boot up and then set speed (what ever speed your device can handle) for the rest of the time.

smartbusiness2003 08-09-2010 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmart518 (Post 1904504)
Overclocking has breathed new life into my phone for sure, feels like a brand new device! I have been running 825 MHz for about two weeks now without SOD, great program and scripts!

jmart,
Would you mind posting the exact scripts that you are using. I am able to overclock to around 800+mhz but if I let it go to sleep, I get SOD and have to hit the reset button. I would love to have my running exactly the way you describe yours running.

jmart518 08-09-2010 05:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by smartbusiness2003 (Post 1905051)
jmart,
Would you mind posting the exact scripts that you are using. I am able to overclock to around 800+mhz but if I let it go to sleep, I get SOD and have to hit the reset button. I would love to have my running exactly the way you describe yours running.

Sure thing, I take no credit for this script, all props to the original creator, I just changed values to fit my device.
This is how I have it set up, 825 MHz for start and boost, 604 for safe:

;******CHANGE YOUR OVERCLOCK VALUES HERE*******
start_speed = 43
boost_speed = 43
safe_speed = 31
;******CHANGE YOUR OVERCLOCK VALUES HERE*******

Adjust these values to whatever works on your device, rename the attached text file extension to .mscr.
Put anywhere on device and run it
Once you are sure that everything is working well without SOD, move the script to your start up folder (this way it will work anytime you reset your phone).

*Note do not change safe_speed value (leave it at 31) and make sure your other values work before moving to start up (if you pick values too high, you will be forced to hard reset). Example: If a setting for boost_speed doesn't work, don't try to set it for start_speed!

smartbusiness2003 08-09-2010 05:20 PM

I really appreciate it. I ended up going with this (I too take no credit for these guys work):

"
This is a How to overclock and NEVER get SoD (Sleep of Death) guide using a Touch pro2 and Topaz with pictures.

There are now 2 programmers developing overclock tools for Touch Pro2 phones. iwfratz's program works ONLY for the Touch Pro2 GSM version (for now) and is easy to work with, you just simply install and open the GUI and that's pretty much it. Netripper's works for a pretty big variety of different phones so try which ever one out and just use the one you like the most. Netripper's requires other programs/scripts to get it to run properly while iwfratz's works right out of the box.

This is the link to iwfratz's overclock progarm that's ONLY for the Touch Pro2, this is the program that I am currently using now. Anything below this refers ONLY TO Netripper's overclock program.

With HUGE thanks to oruam57 for making this program that auto under/overclocks your device with EASE! No more installing scripts or fiddling with the hardware buttons on your phone!!

1st, download and install the latest cab on the first page of this thread made my netripper.
2nd, copy the .dll file you find in the Program Files folder where msm7kCpuSpeed was installed into your \Windows folder
3rd, download and install the SetCpuSpeed-1.0.cab that is attached to this post that was made by oruam57 and cabbed by arguenter.
4th, read the instructions below and also the readme that comes with the cab and change the settings in SetCpuCpeed accordingly http://media.xda-developers.com/imag...lies/smile.gif.

Cab file is courtesy of aguenter and this is what he originally posted along with the cab, note that the cab contains the same files that are in the the .zip of the same name.
oruam, hope you don't mind but I've cabbed up your v1.0 for people having trouble getting it to work from the zip. The CAB installs the exe, c++ source, registry values, and the StartUp shortcut.

* You must still ensure that Msm7kClockLib.dll exists in your \Windows directory. If it doesn't you'll need to copy it there from your Msm7kCpuSpeed installation folder.

* This CAB forces installation to \Storage Card\Program Files\SetCpuSpeed for safety purposes. If your locale doesn't use \Storage Card for the SD path or you don't have an SD card this CAB won't work for you.

* The default overclock speed is set to 633, and throttle speed is 604. To modify these speeds open your registry editor, navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Msm7kCpuSpeed, and edit the PerformanceLevel and ScreenOffPerformanceLevel values in DECIMAL mode, NOT HEX. The speed values seem to be the same as they were in the script:

41=787 MHz
40=768 MHz
39=748 MHz
38=729 MHz
37=710 MHz
36=691 MHz
35=672 MHz
34=652 MHz
33=633 MHz
32=614 MHz
31=604 MHz
30=576 MHz
29=556 MHz
28=537 MHz
etc.

If your device fails to boot due to an unstable clock speed, pull the SD card and soft-reset, then lower the PerformanceLevel value in the registry per the instructions above. When you've done that you can reinsert the SD card and perform another soft-reset and everything should be fine. This is the purpose of forcing the CAB to install to the SD, it's a safety net.

Huge thanks to oruam and everyone else working to make this stable, the script was great but now that we have a native process it's even better! Without the MortScript overhead we no longer have the 1-2% constant CPU utilization and can squeeze even a few more MHz out of our Msm7k's.

Uninstallation procedure:

Killing oruam's process causes the device to hang, and because the uninstaller kills the process to remove the executable...well, you see the problem I'm sure.
To easily uninstall the CAB without problems perform these steps in order:

1) Pull SD card
2) Soft-reset
3) After WM/Sense/etc has loaded completely (and you get the error message about the shortcut target SetCpuSpeed.exe not being found), insert the SD again
4) Uninstall CAB
Major breakthrough in making this thing 99% complete! Thank you oruam57 for this program and netripper for making this all possible!

NOTE: For Topaz users your SAFEST overclock, I believe, is 691MHz, Rhodium users it usually is 710MHz.

If you still can't get this to work then send me a pm and I'll be glad to help http://media.xda-developers.com/imag...lies/smile.gif, I can only tell you for sure that it works on Rhodium/Touch Pro2 because that is my device and no SoD but I did change the registry value "CheckTime" to 150 instead of 200.

But if it works for you, and no SoD, then why fix what's not broken ;p?"

I just tried this and it is working great. Jmart, thanks for your quick reply. I am too impatient sometimes! LOL

Lagz0ne 08-09-2010 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmart518 (Post 1904504)
Overclocking has breathed new life into my phone for sure, feels like a brand new device! I have been running 825 MHz for about two weeks now without SOD, great program and scripts!

which rom are you using? i can get only 748Mhz

jmart518 08-10-2010 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lagz0ne (Post 1905518)
which rom are you using? i can get only 748Mhz

I am actually running my own ROM. I don't believe that OC is ROM dependent though, it is more on your device. Even though we have the same phone, the tolerances of our cpus may very. That is if you are having system lock up, but if it is just crashing programs, then that will be ROM dependent.

I could be completely wrong on all this (been a long day) and this has been my first OC experience.

Toysrme 08-10-2010 03:19 AM

rom wont matter. keep in mind the front-end will as they tax the systems differently. max-sense & dink glass on cookie are going to start having random crashing problems before a bare titanium windows or basic sense / cookie.

you can tell as sense will crash, but you can still run other programs / start menu

smartbusiness2003 08-10-2010 10:46 AM

Update

Now that I have everything setup and running smoothly, I need to report that the max I can run the CPU is "40 = 768mhz" before things crash or lock up. Before I got the scripts that fix the SOD, I was able to run at 791mhz and then manually bring it back down to 604mhz before letting it go to sleep. I have found that 768mhz is plenty fast enough for me and my Imagio is running PERFECT!!! I am running an Energy ROM (the July 16th) and I believe that the phone is faster, more stable, and smoother than ever before!

MrWong 08-10-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smartbusiness2003 (Post 1905819)
Update

Now that I have everything setup and running smoothly, I need to report that the max I can run the CPU is "40 = 768mhz" before things crash or lock up. Before I got the scripts that fix the SOD, I was able to run at 791mhz and then manually bring it back down to 604mhz before letting it go to sleep. I have found that 768mhz is plenty fast enough for me and my Imagio is running PERFECT!!! I am running an Energy ROM (the July 16th) and I believe that the phone is faster, more stable, and smoother than ever before!

Can you explain how you setup the scripts to make it downclock before it goes to sleep? are you using the setcpuspeed.exe? i have managed to find a stable idle speed of 633 even when going to sleep without a SOD anything higher and it will give me a SOD when going into sleep mode. please help us Imagio peoples! :)

MAX speed on mine before insta-lock 787 so she will run a 768 all day! :)

thanks!

smartbusiness2003 08-10-2010 09:47 PM

MrWong,
Check out my earlier post #28. It explains it all. I got that information from the XDA website from the link in the first post in this thread.

Toysrme 08-11-2010 05:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
forget all that mess just run SetCpuSpeed-1.0d.cab

thepolishguy 08-11-2010 11:32 AM

@all overclockers- I know our batteries are pretty bad already (as with most phones with this resolution) -how has overclocking affected your battery?

thanks.

Toysrme 08-11-2010 01:56 PM

it doesn't change that much at all. sitting idle it's within a couple % of the power draw.

you would assume these mobile processors have much better power saving features than desktop CPU's. a good general rule of thumb for semi-modern desktop CPU's is for every 17% overclock there is a 10% power draw increase while under full load, while at the stock voltage.

you have more to gain in battery life by using WMLong Life & forcing 1x mode than you would loose with a 45% overclock rotf!

Osteo 08-11-2010 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toysrme (Post 1907048)
forget all that mess just run SetCpuSpeed-1.0d.cab

Thanks.seems snappier and I didn't want to go through the more detailed method. Do you have your clock speed maxed out? I'm always concerned to max out a speed setting...

Toysrme 08-11-2010 10:49 PM

ya it is. mine is stable to 825 but im running 768

DiceDemon 08-12-2010 01:45 AM

Awesome! Like having a new phone. Locked up at 768, had to settle for 748.
thanks a bunch for this!