PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: verizon

jabson is keeping up the good workjabson is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Must Haves?

So, I will be purchasing the Imagio soon (within 6 months), and want to know what are the must have programs for it? Also, the must have upgrades, peripherals, etc. Want to jump into this with both feet moving!
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Incredible
Carrier: Verizon

Nicaragüense is keeping up the good workNicaragüense is keeping up the good work
Re: Must Haves?

check the thread at the top of this forum called Great Tweaks,Apps,SPB,Themes,ETC..
That should contain lots of the cool mods for this phone thus far, though in 6 montsh who knows what will be out for it.. As far as programs there are lots scattered all over the different winmo forums.. try this place to get an idea of some that are for the Touch pro 2, which is similar to the Imagio. Software worth installing on the TP2 *Continuously Updated, links in thread* [Jan 1] - xda-developers
Old 02-11-2010, 12:57 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabson View Post
So, I will be purchasing the Imagio soon (within 6 months), and want to know what are the must have programs for it? Also, the must have upgrades, peripherals, etc. Want to jump into this with both feet moving!
1. Compact Framework. First I would upgrade your Compact Framework. Most everything needs Compact Framework 3.5 to run (kind of confusing install for me- but I am no real Pocket PC geek). You can google it and it will point you to Microsoft for a down load. Down load to your PC and then use Windows Mobile Device Center to sync and run the Compact Framework .exe. (or you can get it off here)

2. Keyboard. I think the next thing i would get is a 3rd party keyboard. The key board on the Imagio was terrible for me. To small and always hitting the wrong button. "Swype It" is awesome if you can still find a .cab around for it (not totally legal to be giving away). I actually paid for one called Touch Pal that i like more than Swype It (but people swear by Swype It and most people that try it say they are never going back to a regular key board).

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=597291

3. SipChange. A little app that allows you to change your default keybaord (you will need it if you decide in SwypeIt).

4. SdkCerts. A little app that allows you to install other apps that don't have a recognized Certificate (many do not- but are still perfectly safe).

5. File Explorer. The Imagio comes with a file explorer- but every one gets Total Commander (which also has a registry editor- but I like PHM for registry edits more.)

6. Registry Editor. If you want to make changes to your registry (and you will) you need a decent registry editor. I use PHMregedit. People may recommend others (I stick with shareware unless there is no other choice). CeRegEdit allows you to make Registry edits from your computer while your phone is connected. Very nice.

7. Internet Browser. Imagio comes with Opera. Pretty good but does not support flash (no video). Skyfire is free. It is pretty good. And it supports flash.

http://www.skyfire.com/

8. Google Maps 4.0 (with "Buzz") and Microsoft Bing. Both will supply you with free GPS (no spoken turn by turn- bummer) and good search capabilities.

9. WiFi Hot Spot. This is a must have for me- "XDA-Tom_Codon CM Wifi Internet Sharing". This little app turns your Imagio into a WiFi HotSpot. You can connect wirelessly to your phone from your laptop and surf the web.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=538874

This stuff is all free (except the TouchPal Keyboard). I have most of (probably all of) these .cabs- so if you are interested i can upload some or all. But this has been time consuming so i will wait to hear if you want any of this stuff. Pretty easy to find with Google.

Last edited by thepolishguy; 02-11-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

MaisonPulaski, I can't find that swype it cab your refering to, but if you got it, I would love to have that. Same with SipChange. As for changing registry files, I am super leary about doing that. Hear one screw up, ur bricked. I have the Skyfire cab from my iPaq, so will just keep that, and will download the other stuff.

Thanks for all that, if you need my email, let me know!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:07 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Apache>>>>Raphael/Touch Pro CDMA>>>>IMAGIO>>>Droid
Carrier: metroPCS

Wtanis is keeping up the good workWtanis is keeping up the good work

Swype is one of the biggest must haves for this phone.=D> I was one of those who just had to have a physical keyboard, after swype there is no need but heres the cab. You should also check out this thread for an htc like skin for swype makes it twice better. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=604949
Attached Files
File Type: cab (2) Swype.cab (1.48 MB, 87 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:14 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

thanks Wtanis! I am so biting at the bit to get this phone. Seems the more I research it, the more I am eager to get this phone!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:39 PM
Halfway to VIP Status

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabson View Post
MaisonPulaski, I can't find that swype it cab your refering to, but if you got it, I would love to have that. Same with SipChange. As for changing registry files, I am super leary about doing that. Hear one screw up, ur bricked. I have the Skyfire cab from my iPaq, so will just keep that, and will download the other stuff.

Thanks for all that, if you need my email, let me know!
1. Regarding registry edits- that is not true. I was very leery of changing the registry at first as well. But there are simple registry "tweaks" that are helpful and are definitely not going to "brick" your phone. For instance: who wants to get a message every time they send a text telling them they just sent a text? I know i just sent a text- I sent it! There is a simple change you can make to your registry so you don't get that message any more.

2. SipChange- ok after you get your phone and install the keyboard of your choice- you can install SipChange so that you can make that keyboard your default keyboard. Here's a couple of things I will point out and then you can decide; a lot of people report that when they use SIPChange, they get an annoying white crash screen when they boot their phone. So you will have to decide if you get that screen which is more annoying- every time you open your keyboard changing from the default to the one you want, or the white screen (if you get it) at boot up.

****IMPORTANT**** after you install SIPChange and you open it and select the keyboard you want as default- make sure to set the "Initial Delay" to 60 (that is 60 seconds). I have heard that 40-50 is fine but i used 60 just to be sure. if you do not adjust the delay time the app will not just give you a crash screen- but it will indeed crash.

If you want to post your email- that's up to you- it may be helpful. I will try and get back here and post more stuff that i think is helpful and can probably upload most stuff to here (depending on the file size).
Attached Files
File Type: cab SIPChange.CAB (225.9 KB, 28 views) Click for barcode!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:53 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Check your private MaisonPulaski - my email is there!
Old 02-12-2010, 06:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

schoust is a n00b

Hey Guy's I am a new ower (forced on me) Imagio and as I thought the biggest problem with this phone is the vertual Key board! Theyn Lied through there teeth and told me that it was wonderful and worked great! Not!! Anyway I sure would love to here about any more great apps! Bring them on I am downloading as we speak!
Old 06-25-2010, 12:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Droid Bionic

shieldsdb is a n00b

[QUOTE=maisonpulaski;1557342]
9. WiFi Hot Spot. This is a must have for me- "XDA-Tom_Codon CM Wifi Internet Sharing". This little app turns your Imagio into a WiFi HotSpot. You can connect wirelessly to your phone from your laptop and surf the web.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=538874

QUOTE]

Does Verizon hit you up for the tether charges when you use it as a hot spot?
Thanks,
Dan

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio