PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   phone re-image/backup (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119627)

jadedame 04-29-2010 04:33 PM

phone re-image/backup

I know i saw somewhere within this forum of a software/tool that will install all previous configuration, .cabs, etc... after you've flashed a new ROM. Can someone please tell me what that is or how I can find it?? So I don't have to reinstall all the .cabs for modifications and all the games and stuff every time I flash a new ROM???

Wildman 04-30-2010 12:24 AM

Re: phone re-image/backup

Quote:

Originally Posted by jadedame (Post 1726541)
I know i saw somewhere within this forum of a software/tool that will install all previous configuration, .cabs, etc... after you've flashed a new ROM. Can someone please tell me what that is or how I can find it?? So I don't have to reinstall all the .cabs for modifications and all the games and stuff every time I flash a new ROM???

Sounds like you are thinking of XDA_UC V1.1.00, Automated & Silent User & Cook, Configuration Service by Noonski,
Check out here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=562568 but this is basically for cookers to add to there roms..

drewcam888 04-30-2010 08:48 AM

Or try sashimi.
http://www.winmo-experts.com/viewforum.php?f=7

jadedame 04-30-2010 10:28 AM

thank you. will look into them.

johncal 05-01-2010 01:10 PM

I can tell you this much.

I have upgraded to MR1 and did a full restore with SPB Backup and everything went perfectly. Everything restored and worked exactly as before the ROM upgrade. The only thing you have to reset is your power options. For some reason it goes back to stock settings for that. No big deal though just a couple of seconds to reset. The reason this goes so smoothly however is most likely due to the fact that the MR1 update is mostly fixes for the stock ROM and mostly everything from the original ROM version is left in tact.

My findings with MR1 is it runs slightly faster and smoother, however it also starts out at about 8-10% more memory usage than the previous version however doesn't seem to leak as much . Battery seems fine.

If I have any long term adverse effects, I'll post them.

I would say there are no guarantees if you do a different version ROM upgrade, but you could always do a restore and if it doesn't work, do a hard reset and then load everything by hand. At least you've got a shot... if you have the courage to try it.

obxKevin 05-03-2010 12:10 AM

I haven't tried SPB Backup with a custom ROM yet, but I am using it successfully with MR1. No long term issues so far.

And johncal is right, the power settings need to be done manually, NBD really.

Wildman 05-03-2010 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obxKevin (Post 1731711)
I haven't tried SPB Backup with a custom ROM yet, but I am using it successfully with MR1. No long term issues so far.

And johncal is right, the power settings need to be done manually, NBD really.

I have learned a while back that it isn't a wise ideal to do a full restore from SPB Backup when updating rom because sometimes it defeats the reason to do the update, the rom may have fixes in the registry of config files that basically get restored to the original files in the backup that can cause same issue to return and in some case cause new one;;;

Glad it seems to be working for you but if you start noticing issues you might want to take this into consideration, restoring just contacts and email and messages under option menu usually works best.

johncal 05-03-2010 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildman (Post 1731893)
I have learned a while back that it isn't a wise ideal to do a full restore from SPB Backup when updating rom because sometimes it defeats the reason to do the update, the rom may have fixes in the registry of config files that basically get restored to the original files in the backup that can cause same issue to return and in some case cause new one;;;

Glad it seems to be working for you but if you start noticing issues you might want to take this into consideration, restoring just contacts and email and messages under option menu usually works best.

That's why SPB Backup has a restore feature that it used for "ROM UPGRADES". In fact, it notices the difference and suggests using this method when it notices the rom version on the same phone is different. Worked perfectly for me, but then again if you're using cooked ROM's the results .... well who knows. It doesn't hurt to try. If you have issues creep in, then just hard reset and load from scratch.

I guess what I don't understand is the guys saying NOT to do a backup restore after a ROM upgrade. It takes literally 5 minutes to do the resore pressing like 3 buttons. If it doesn't work, it's no big deal. But if it does, it can save hours of tweaking and work. Yeah, something might not work perfectly or have some "issue down the road" but I would say 99% of the time the issue down the road isn't goig to happen and if it is down the road it really was a problem that was there right after the restore that wasn't noticed.

Also, SPB has a feature called selective backup. If you're concerned, just backup what you want restored after the upgrade and then you don't have to worry about it.

I'll say this again, I had no problem upgrading to MR1 and restoring. It might not work for you, or it might!

Wildman 05-04-2010 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johncal (Post 1732165)
That's why SPB Backup has a restore feature that it used for "ROM UPGRADES". In fact, it notices the difference and suggests using this method when it notices the rom version on the same phone is different. Worked perfectly for me, but then again if you're using cooked ROM's the results .... well who knows. It doesn't hurt to try. If you have issues creep in, then just hard reset and load from scratch.

I guess what I don't understand is the guys saying NOT to do a backup restore after a ROM upgrade. It takes literally 5 minutes to do the resore pressing like 3 buttons. If it doesn't work, it's no big deal. But if it does, it can save hours of tweaking and work. Yeah, something might not work perfectly or have some "issue down the road" but I would say 99% of the time the issue down the road isn't goig to happen and if it is down the road it really was a problem that was there right after the restore that wasn't noticed.

Also, SPB has a feature called selective backup. If you're concerned, just backup what you want restored after the upgrade and then you don't have to worry about it.

I'll say this again, I had no problem upgrading to MR1 and restoring. It might not work for you, or it might!

I was reporting as a long long user of SPB Backup and a flashacholic that doing a complete restore can have its negative issues at times, I am glad you haven't had any issues but I was just pointing out that issues on full restores because there is some files that cant be backed up on some roms and this can cause crashes, example (ET9IMED8) will not backup or restore on 3.04 roms and I just thought I give you a heads up since it was asked for others experiences