PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   HTC Imagio (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   Do all of the custom ROMs retain the "global capability" of Imagio? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119449)

bigboy292000 04-27-2010 10:31 PM

Do all of the custom ROMs retain the "global capability" of Imagio?

I unlocked my wife's Imagio and am lookin to flash it soon... but seeing that I'll be traveling to Beijing in few months, I'll be taking her phone with me (and get a local prepaid SIM while there). She can use my Vogue for two weeks. :)

So - my question is:

Are all custom ROMs here "compatible" with the whole switch from CDMA to GSM and choosing of another country? I think only one ROM explicitly mentions this in the first post...

I already unlocked the HSPL and I had Verizon unlock the SIM too.

jmart518 04-27-2010 10:53 PM

Re: Do all of the custom ROMs retain the "global capability" of Imagio?

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboy292000 (Post 1723361)
I unlocked my wife's Imagio and am lookin to flash it soon... but seeing that I'll be traveling to Beijing in few months, I'll be taking her phone with me (and get a local prepaid SIM while there). She can use my Vogue for two weeks. :)

So - my question is:

Are all custom ROMs here "compatible" with the whole switch from CDMA to GSM and choosing of another country? I think only one ROM explicitly mentions this in the first post...

I already unlocked the HSPL and I had Verizon unlock the SIM too.

I would honestly run stock if I was venturing out of the country. Just to be on the safe side and then flash when I get back home

djp952 04-27-2010 11:03 PM

All I can say based on experience is that Drellisdee's ROM is 100% functional globally on GSM. I never tried any other ROMs while out of the country, and likely won't have an opportunity to again anytime soon.

juandelahoz 04-28-2010 12:18 AM

Hi... I live in Colombia and I have proved both GSM/UMTS and GLOBAL options with great results... I have already used NRGZ, MyCLEANIMAGIO and Mr X roms and all of them seems to get my carrier siganl (TIGO 1900Mhz).
Hopefully this will help you

mally2 04-28-2010 01:22 AM

Global capabilities has to do with the RADIO of the ROM not the OS in itself...

So I guess your good to go on any custom rom

drewcam888 04-28-2010 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mally2 (Post 1723640)
Global capabilities has to do with the RADIO of the ROM not the OS in itself...
So I guess your good to go on any custom rom

Not true. It is possible to mess with global settings in the rom. So it is possible for a rom to effect global support.

mally2 04-28-2010 09:05 AM

Oh Ok was not sure though

But i guess he is still good to go with the custom roms around here

cslawren 04-28-2010 12:06 PM

Here's the deal. I travel abroad a lot. The ONLY ROM that worked out of the box for me was Drellisdee's. NRG and the others that were out in March did not have the account setup to work with GSM roaming data on the Verizon SIM. So while I'm sure most if not all are "global capable", Drellisdee's is the only one that has everything configured out of the box and just works when you get off the plane, and really that's what counts. Brave though I may be for doing so, I found this out while flashing over in GSM land. Fortunately or unfortunately for me, however you look at it, I was in Paris when the HSPL came out, and I just had to try it.

bigboy292000 04-28-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslawren (Post 1724155)
Here's the deal. I travel abroad a lot. The ONLY ROM that worked out of the box for me was Drellisdee's. NRG and the others that were out in March did not have the account setup to work with GSM roaming data on the Verizon SIM. So while I'm sure most if not all are "global capable", Drellisdee's is the only one that has everything configured out of the box and just works when you get off the plane, and really that's what counts. Brave though I may be for doing so, I found this out while flashing over in GSM land. Fortunately or unfortunately for me, however you look at it, I was in Paris when the HSPL came out, and I just had to try it.

Ah, that is interesting! So you used the built-in Verizon SIM then... rather than getting a local SIM?

Thanks for everyone's replies!!

cslawren 04-28-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigboy292000 (Post 1724420)
Ah, that is interesting! So you used the built-in Verizon SIM then... rather than getting a local SIM?

Thanks for everyone's replies!!

Absolutely. It's not too expensive to get a global data package from Verizon. It amounts to about $2 a day, so if you're out of town for say, a week, you're looking at $14. It's a lot less hassle than having to get a local SIM, etc etc. The only downside to Verizon overseas is that while you can get everything from voice and data at a reduced rate, SMS is not covered. You're looking at 50 cents to send (yes, 50 CENTS a piece) and 5 cents to receive, but you can easily get around that with unlimited e-mails through the data package. Also, the data for $2 a day is unlimited, so you can't really argue with that rate.:)