PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 06:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: imagio
Carrier: verizon

crzyjoker13 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
wifi router vs. teather

ok really simple and quick question, i know that when i am teathered via usb cablei get to munch up my my 5 gig allowance they give me, but when i connect via wifi router to the phone does that count as unlimited mobile internet or does it count againist my 5 gig.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:01 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff
Re: wifi router vs. teather

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyjoker13 View Post
ok really simple and quick question, i know that when i am teathered via usb cablei get to munch up my my 5 gig allowance they give me, but when i connect via wifi router to the phone does that count as unlimited mobile internet or does it count againist my 5 gig.
I am almost positive that when you teather via wifi router that it does not count against your 5G. I mean if they could count it- they wouldn't cut your service of for doing it right? and since Verizon makes it abundantly clear that it is against the rules to teather w/o $aying for it- my guess is they can't count it.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 AM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

You have 5GB of unlimited data(any information your phone gets from the internet) no matter you use it every month. Wifi, usb, and mobile browser all count. But the limit is rarely enforced.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio

fluidj is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonpulaski View Post
I am almost positive that when you teather via wifi router that it does not count against your 5G. I mean if they could count it- they wouldn't cut your service of for doing it right? and since Verizon makes it abundantly clear that it is against the rules to teather w/o $aying for it- my guess is they can't count it.
WiFi Router & USB are BOTH forms/methods/way to TETHER your laptop/pc to your phone.
Therefore either option WILL eat away at your 5GB monthly allowance. Although as mentioned already, Verizon rarely enforces it.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:29 PM
N00b
Carrier: Verizon/Alltel

xyphan is just getting started

Do either of these ways set off red flags as to what you are doing? Does Verizon know if you are using a PC when not using their tethering software? PDAnet seems to work fine, but what about all these other solutions?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

thepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuffthepolishguy knows their stuff

Actually- I did call Big Red (Verizon) before I posted bc I did not want to give you the wrong information. When you get a smart phone you pay Verizon $30 a month for data for your phone. That $30 supplies you with unlimited data for your phone. I called Verizon- go ahead and call em if you don't believe me.

That $30 does not get you even 1kb for tethering. It is a breach of your contract to tether to your phone without paying Verizon $30 more to tether. If you want to surf the Internet on your laptop- using your phone as a modem you must purchase a separate data plan that costs $30 more.

When you pay $30 to use your phone as a modem (as I do)- they do keep track of the data. I just got an automated text from them stating I had used over half of my 5G allowance.

I think the reason people think it is "rarely enforced" is because they are tethering with the wifi router or they are using the registry edit that opens the tether option on USB connection. Since these 2 option use the unlimited phone data and not the limited 5G plan- it appears to be uninforced, when actually it just simply is fooling Verizon.

That's my .02 cents (more like a dollar). Since there seems to be a differing of opinions- I would encourage you to simply call and ask.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 03-24-2010, 02:30 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: TP2
Carrier: VZW

Rhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularRhodium500 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

But verizon can look at the data traffic and figure out if you are tethering. But they rarely try or enforce the rule.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Imagio

fluidj is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodium500 View Post
But verizon can look at the data traffic and figure out if you are tethering. But they rarely try or enforce the rule.
I disagree. Yes you are correct that they WANT you to pay an additional $30 to tether. The thought being, that if you are tethering your device you are likely going to consume a large amount of data because you are using the data on a full scale PC. But i don't think that there is technically any method for them to discern whether you are using your data by tethering or simply browsing the web on your Imagio unless you use Verizon's tethering application. If you do the registry modification, you should not have any issue.

Morally I have no remorse using it to tether without paying an additional $30 to do so. If they want to charge me for DATA then charge me for DATA period regardless if I consume the data on my tiny Imagio screen or my larger laptop screen. Data is Data is Data.
Old 03-26-2010, 09:58 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: imagio
Carrier: verizon
Threadstarter

crzyjoker13 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidj View Post
I disagree. Yes you are correct that they WANT you to pay an additional $30 to tether. The thought being, that if you are tethering your device you are likely going to consume a large amount of data because you are using the data on a full scale PC. But i don't think that there is technically any method for them to discern whether you are using your data by tethering or simply browsing the web on your Imagio unless you use Verizon's tethering application. If you do the registry modification, you should not have any issue.

Morally I have no remorse using it to tether without paying an additional $30 to do so. If they want to charge me for DATA then charge me for DATA period regardless if I consume the data on my tiny Imagio screen or my larger laptop screen. Data is Data is Data.
ok i am green and new to this area of cummication what is this registry work around where do i find instructions on how to implement it. also i have taken to watching my data useage and have not teathered via usb so in a few days i will have my own answer.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:47 AM
Halfway to VIP Status

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzyjoker13 View Post
ok i am green and new to this area of cummication what is this registry work around where do i find instructions on how to implement it. also i have taken to watching my data useage and have not teathered via usb so in a few days i will have my own answer.
I got these instructions over here...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=112246

in post #4

To add the tethering choice on USB plugin...

First you will need to install a tool on your device or PC to edit the registry of your phone... (I use the free stuff -PHM Registry Edit on my phone and CeRegEditor on my PC)

Open PHM. Expand the file folder "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE". Expand the file folder "Software". Expand the file folder "HTC". Double click "USBtoPCPopUp" (so your file path would look like this HKLM\Software\HTC\USBtoPCPopUp)

Now in the bottom portion of the screen there are a couple of things listed. One of them is "OnlyTwoChoice". Double click "OnlyTwoChoice" and change the "Value data" from 1 to 0 (zero). Click "OK" on the bottom of the screen. Close PHM. Soft Reset the device.

Now when you connect the device to your computer by USB- the device will give you an option to tether.
Attached Files
File Type: cab PHMregedit.cab (94.3 KB, 9 views) Click for barcode!
This post has been thanked 1 times.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio