PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2010, 03:28 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio
Carrier: Verizon

braindoc is keeping up the good workbraindoc is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: just got to play with a hd2

Because most of the people on this site (and others like it) are winmo geeks we tend to miss the point of what MS is trying to do with Windows Phone 7. The majority of people who buy smart phones running windows mobile software do not download custom ROMS, alternative UIs, or the endless number of tweaks and software that developers have been creating over the years. They turn on their phone, use it for voice, email, texting, and the few programs that may have been included by the carrier/maker. This is why the iPhone is so successful. It is simple to use and simple to understand. Does it multitask? - No. Can you customize the user experience? - No. Is anyone free to develop their own software for it? - No. Do most people care? - No. Apple's true genius, however, was the App Store and the societal meme it created as far as smart phone users are concerned. I'm sure most people believe that the iPhone is the only phone that will run applications. Nervermind that winmo phones have had thousands of applications available to use for years, most of which are absolutely free.

So, MS is taking note and re-creating the iPhone experience with WP7S. No (or limited) multitasking, Limited user customization, and Apps only available through MS Marketplace. All that being said, I have to say that I think MS did an outstanding job with the look and feel of WP7S to differentiate it from the iPhone. It appears that MS' main advantages over the iPhone will be more carriers and more hardware options.

Last edited by braindoc; 03-25-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:02 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio. Project Teya 1.8/HTC thunderbolt

gokudre is keeping up the good workgokudre is keeping up the good workgokudre is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindoc View Post
Because most of the people on this site (and others like it) are winmo geeks we tend to miss the point of what MS is trying to do with Windows Phone 7. The majority of people who buy smart phones running windows mobile software do not download custom ROMS, alternative UIs, or the endless number of tweaks and software that developers have been creating over the years. They turn on their phone, use it for voice, email, texting, and the few programs that may have been included by the carrier/maker. This is why the iPhone is so successful. It is simple to use and simple to understand. Does it multitask? - No. Can you customize the user experience? - No. Is anyone free to develop their own software for it? - No. Do most people care? - No. Apple's true genius, however, was the App Store and the societal meme it created as far as smart phone users are concerned. I'm sure most people believe that the iPhone is the only phone that will run applications. Nervermind that winmo phones have had thousands of applications available to use for years, most of which are absolutely free.

So, MS is taking note and re-creating the iPhone experience with WP7S. No (or limited) multitasking, Limited user customization, and Apps only available through MS Marketplace. All that being said, I have to say that I think MS did an outstanding job with the look and feel of WP7S to differentiate it from the iPhone. It appears that MS' main advantages over the iPhone will be more carriers and more hardware options.

me personally (and many fellow geeks) , though we are the minority, dont like to be spoon fed what we cant and cant do. Even the vaunted iphone has a percentage of users that "jailbreak" there phones just to do what they want with it. Granted all these custom roms and tweaking take a heavy toll on battery life and the such, but shouldnt that be our choice? if i wanted an iphone id buy one. Now my main two choices will be iphone or simulated MS iphone. For crying out loud they even copyed the "no cut and paste" at launch stupidity. Im not sold on android yet im at a crossroad here. If i got a sdevice with the specs of ann HD2 for verizon that ran Winmo id ride it till the wheels fell off....... just a thought. Not an argument. I can DEFINATLY see why MS is doing this. Keep it simple - stupid. Simple means easy... easy means sales. and like the guy in the previous post wrote... it is "M$" after all.....
Old 03-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: RazrMaxx
Carrier: vzw

cbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regularcbreze is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I had the original HD and loved it. The main reason I left tmo was to get better "all over" coverage. Big "V" gives me that and 3G also EVERYWHERE I seem to be. Tmo may be forever getting to that kind of coverage. So I'm checking out all the hype re the upcoming wp7s and it's not sounding that great to be honest. It remains to be seen how I will think about it at the time it launches. That said, I'm going to be looking down the road for a hopeful verizon release of a cutting edge wm device. The HD2 or something similar would def fit my needs. I'm going to remain hopefully optimistic that "V" will pick up a super, snapdragon equiped, big enough screen kind of device. I'll be all over it and be able to retain my desire to stay with the conventional wm ui with all it's associated tweaks and flashing to meet my needs.
So maxtcee, give us peeps an update on your HD2. Still diggin' it I presume.
Old 03-27-2010, 10:16 PM
WHERES THE BOTTLES!!
Pocket PC: hTC hD2
Carrier: tMOBILE
Threadstarter

maxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributions

yeah this thing is fast i had every possible program open
ie
opera 10 beta
skyfire
total commander
sms
calculator
camera
and i still was at 48 % memory and still was surfing the web fast even with the tmo bloatware
i mean lets face it we all know its not big red but hands down i think its the fastest phone out
no more lags no more freezes no battery pulls no waiting for programs to load
i still love my imagio but hd2 is the new genaration
as far as wm7 i realy do hope its stands up to the hype as far as uglyness we all know thats not a big deal for us geekers as we will mod it out in the first days
with the time it just took me to type this i could have surfed to 7 websites and played 3 games on my hd2 lol
Old 03-28-2010, 11:33 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio. Project Teya 1.8/HTC thunderbolt

gokudre is keeping up the good workgokudre is keeping up the good workgokudre is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtcee View Post
yeah this thing is fast i had every possible program open
ie
opera 10 beta
skyfire
total commander
sms
calculator
camera
and i still was at 48 % memory and still was surfing the web fast even with the tmo bloatware
i mean lets face it we all know its not big red but hands down i think its the fastest phone out
no more lags no more freezes no battery pulls no waiting for programs to load
i still love my imagio but hd2 is the new genaration
as far as wm7 i realy do hope its stands up to the hype as far as uglyness we all know thats not a big deal for us geekers as we will mod it out in the first days
with the time it just took me to type this i could have surfed to 7 websites and played 3 games on my hd2 lol
sounds like a winmo dream come true......... Im not sold on Tmobiles coverage here either. If big red gets anything close to it im all over it. How deep do you think they will be able to dig in and mod windows 7 mobile?
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM
WHERES THE BOTTLES!!
Pocket PC: hTC hD2
Carrier: tMOBILE
Threadstarter

maxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributionsmaxtcee should be added to the payroll for their contributions

well ask yourself this how deep did they dig into android ,titanium, ms3 and manila
they put android on windows
i mean the possibilities are endless

check this out windows 7 on hd2 http://gizmodo.com/5503781/windows-p...ing-on-htc-hd2

Windows Phone 7 Series ROM Spied Running On HTC HD2?

VIDEO <object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJCFdojbjh8...</param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mJCFdojbjh8..._embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Last edited by maxtcee; 03-28-2010 at 09:24 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio