PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2010, 01:44 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch - Alltel
Carrier: Verizon

Firsttimer is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Internet->Phone->Router->Network ???

I am trying to get the following configuration to work. I live in a area that does not have any source of hi-speed Internet, just dial-up. I want to use my phone's Internet and share it with all of my computers on my network, all computers at the same time.

My equipment, HTC Imagio phone with WiFi software router and currently Verizon tethering via USB or WiFi. Several Belkin and D-Link 802.11g WiFi routers. Lots of Cisco routers and switches (2500 & 2600 series routers). Three laptops running XP, Vista, and Windows 7. Two HP Proliant DL585 servers with two NIC's and running Server 2003 Enterprise. One Dell desktop with 2 Wifi cards and one NIC, running Vista.

The problem is that my servers and Cisco stuff is on one side of the house and my office is on the other. I am in a wheelchair and cannot run a wire between the two sides so I am using WiFi.

I need my phone is my office where I am working so I can answer calls yet I want my desktop. laptops, and servers all to be able to access the Internet as though I had DSL or Cable Internet.

I am studying for my Cisco CCNA certification and could really use this help so I can do the many labs I find. Ultamitly I am going to hook the phone up to a Cisco router then to my lab network. Obviously I cannot hook the phone up directly to a Cisco router and there lies the issue. After buying all of the servers and routers, I can't afford to get a USB of PC Card from Verizon. Besides the cost difference between the smart phone plan and a data only plan is too much and for now I have true unlimited data usage since I am an Alltel transplant.

Any ideas on what I need to setup, do to make this work?

Last edited by Firsttimer; 03-18-2010 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2010, 01:58 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch - Alltel
Threadstarter

Firsttimer is just getting started
Re: Internet->Phone->Router->Network ???

I sure thought I would have seen a post by now. This must be a strange request. If you have a suggestion of where I should post this on a different site, please do.
Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Imagio

Slack3r is keeping up the good workSlack3r is keeping up the good work
Re: Internet->Phone->Router->Network ???

I would just either find or obtain a spare laptop, and use it to tether your phone to via USB. Then you can output it through the laptop's ethernet port via internet sharing, and connect it directly to the Cisco switch. So it would be Imagio --> Laptop --> Router.

Alternatively, you could get a wireless client (or a hacked access point with dd-wrt) and connect to your phone broadcasting over wifi, and route that into an ethernet port. So this would be Imagio ~~> Wireless Client --> Router.

Either way, you're still going to have to convert the signal into ethernet somehow.

Hope that helped

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > WM HTC Devices > HTC Imagio